Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 05-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
John_B

Drives: 2020 WRX. 2002 C5Z
2020 SS 1LE vs 2020 Mustang GT

Hey guys, first post here and I’m hoping to get some opinions and maybe help me make this decision on my next car. I apologize in advance for the long post, just trying to show I’m not a troll and explain what i am looking for.

I’ve always been a mustang guy, my first car was a 02 V6, then a 02 GT then i bought a 2012 GT brand new and that’s where i really started getting into modding my cars. It was a Paxton supercharged coyote putting down 660 to the tire back in 2013. Eventually sold that car and got the C5Z which makes 730whp that I’m trying to sell now.

I’m torn between the Camaro and the Mustang. I think both cars look great and price is very similar so that’s not really a factor. I love how easy the gen 3 coyote can make power with boost and it would definitely be the faster of the two, I’d get the 10 speed auto and go Procharger and make an easy 750 without too much worry. But i already had a coyote and also want to try something new so i started looking more into the Camaro and nothing sounds better than a cammed LS/LT, also the exhaust note in general sounds better to me. I would get the 1LE, because i really want the Recaro seats, brakes, exterior bits and the suspension is a plus but i wouldn’t be road racing the car. From the research I’ve been doing, the LT1 pistons can’t hold too much power with boost reliably, so i figured it would be a fun N/A build and make 500+. Clearly a slower car, but sounding much better and possibly more enjoyable to drive on weekends being a manual.

I guess my decision is stuck with not being the fastest (you never are) and going into a car i know i can’t make the power i want without big money and into the motor. But realistically it’s just a weekend car to drive on nice days and to car shows if I’m not working. I used to spend a lot of time in the streets of Mexico but i can’t remember the last time i went so maybe I shouldn’t be trying to make a car for that and realize I’m past that. A fbo/cammed 6th gen Camaro would be a lot of fun to enjoy on the streets.
John_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I've owned both. A 2016 Mustang and a 2018 Camaro. IMO no matter which trim and model you get, the Camaro is the more nimble and sporty feeling of the two. So all things being equal (and being a weekend toy only) I think the 1LE would be great
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I've owned both. A 2016 Mustang and a 2018 Camaro. IMO no matter which trim and model you get, the Camaro is the more nimble and sporty feeling of the two. So all things being equal (and being a weekend toy only) I think the 1LE would be great
Thank you for your input. From what I’ve read, I’d say that’s an accurate assessment. Camaro will ride/handle better. The power is the only thing holding me back.

I prefer the sound and interior of the Camaro much more. I prefer the power potential of the mustang.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
Thank you for your input. From what I’ve read, I’d say that’s an accurate assessment. Camaro will ride/handle better. The power is the only thing holding me back.

I prefer the sound and interior of the Camaro much more. I prefer the power potential of the mustang.
Yeah the potential of the 5.0 with a blower or turbo is crazy. I guess if it were me (and I wanted something with way over 500 hp) then I'd do the Mustang hands down. Anything less than that, then the Camaro hands down. Of course things like price, options, etc...would all be a factor as well.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Mike Aruba

Drives: 2016 2SS
The main thing that steered me away from an S550 is the manual tranny, and auto would never be a consideration for me. I was in a similar position and went with the SS, and I honestly have zero regrets.

Either way, both choices are great cars and you cant go wrong. Maybe try to test drive both?

Good luck!

-Aruba
Mike Aruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Just an FYI since you mentioned getting the A10 on the Mustang. Starting in 2021 MY, the A10 will also be offered on the SS 1LE.

Good luck in your choice!
Old 05-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Yeah the potential of the 5.0 with a blower or turbo is crazy. I guess if it were me (and I wanted something with way over 500 hp) then I'd do the Mustang hands down. Anything less than that, then the Camaro hands down. Of course things like price, options, etc...would all be a factor as well.
I agree. That’s basically what I’m stuck on, do i want to build a 800hp roll race car, or an awesome sounding n/a 500hp build. If i could afford a ZL1 it would be a no brainer lol
Old 05-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Aruba View Post
The main thing that steered me away from an S550 is the manual tranny, and auto would never be a consideration for me. I was in a similar position and went with the SS, and I honestly have zero regrets.

Either way, both choices are great cars and you cant go wrong. Maybe try to test drive both?

Good luck!

-Aruba
I totally get that. The mt82 isn’t good, luckily i had no issues in my 2012. I never thought I’d say i want an auto, but seeing the gen 3 coyote with a blower/turbo and the auto is just nuts.

I need to definitely drive the Camaro, i drove a 5th gen a long time ago but i need to get into a 6th gen and see how i like it. The mustang I’ve driven already
Old 05-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Just an FYI since you mentioned getting the A10 on the Mustang. Starting in 2021 MY, the A10 will also be offered on the SS 1LE.

Good luck in your choice!
I noticed that, my thought process was if I’m building a 800hp mustang I’d want the auto (never thought I’d say that) to make it as fast and consistent as possible racing.

The 1LE being about 500ish would be more about driving enjoyment so i want to stick with the manual and be able to row through the gears and it’s just a fun car to enjoy on weekends.

Two different builds depending which route i take. I’m trying to talk myself into the Camaro but the lack of power is making me hesitate.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:

FYSA... not the same as current LT1 but not that far removed.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/amaz...543-hp-turbos/
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #11
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I agree. That’s basically what I’m stuck on, do i want to build a 800hp roll race car, or an awesome sounding n/a 500hp build. If i could afford a ZL1 it would be a no brainer lol
If you're gonna boost it, I'd look into some gently used ZL1s, if such a thing exists...

Not only do you get a forged motor but the suspension and electronics are all tuned for the extra weight and power, you get the ZL1 front end, side skirts, wider front fenders, ZL1 hood, larger exhaust tips, 2SS features in general, and far, far better resale value. IMO, it's a better deal to start with a ZL1 if you're going blower.

OTOH, I'd rather have my SS 1LE and build that 500 hp motor you're talking about, it weighs less, generates less heat under the hood, and you can probably build it to ~7500 rpm redline with the right valvetrain. There's a member here, Nicky something, dammit I can't remember, but his SS 1lE is a racecar and he somewhat recently posted about his new valvetrain parts. I'd be interested to see how that turned out!
Old 05-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #12
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
If you're gonna boost it, I'd look into some gently used ZL1s, if such a thing exists...

Not only do you get a forged motor but the suspension and electronics are all tuned for the extra weight and power, you get the ZL1 front end, side skirts, wider front fenders, ZL1 hood, larger exhaust tips, 2SS features in general, and far, far better resale value. IMO, it's a better deal to start with a ZL1 if you're going blower.

OTOH, I'd rather have my SS 1LE and build that 500 hp motor you're talking about, it weighs less, generates less heat under the hood, and you can probably build it to ~7500 rpm redline with the right valvetrain. There's a member here, Nicky something, dammit I can't remember, but his SS 1lE is a racecar and he somewhat recently posted about his new valvetrain parts. I'd be interested to see how that turned out!
Well if i get a Camaro SS, i wont boost it. Mustang, yes... the used ZL1 is definitely an option and ill keep an eye out. I really don’t like buying other peoples used cars and the risk that comes with it. But i also think that would be slightly out of budget going 50k+

A 500hp all motor SS would definitely be fun, just need to keep telling myself its fast enough lol
Old 05-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #13
HCI2000SS

Here is another thought and/or option. Get a nice nasty sounding 500-550 rwhp n/a Camaro and throw a 150 shot at it. This is basically what my 2000 SS is. It's a heads and cam 6.0 with a 150 shot. I've taken down setups with 100 plus hp more than me. The massive torque and instantaneous power that nitrous makes is hard to beat. Just a thought
Old 05-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #14
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Well if i get a Camaro SS, i wont boost it. Mustang, yes... the used ZL1 is definitely an option and ill keep an eye out. I really don’t like buying other peoples used cars and the risk that comes with it. But i also think that would be slightly out of budget going 50k+

A 500hp all motor SS would definitely be fun, just need to keep telling myself its fast enough lol
I know, 500 hp isn't much these days! But otoh a std SS 1LE is a great all around sports car that's so well balanced and just a joy to drive right from the factory. I appreciate power but it's a lot like chasing the dragon and costs more than a drug habit too... I think a built motor 1LE would be a good balance, it'll be very close to ZL1 fast in a straight line, but less weight, more balanced, one of the best handling cars you can get... it will be very fast on the track and autox.