Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
zodiac265

Drives: 2017 1LT Camaro
Exclamation Check Engine Light After Small Modifications

First post, please let me know if this is in the wrong forum.
Little back story bought my 1LT Camaro back in March and really loved it. After visiting this site, I looked into some modifications. I found a couple that I could do but still keep my warranty.

Borla X-Pipes - 60611
Borla Axle-Back Exhaust ATAK - 11927
Tracy Lewis Signature Series – catch can
CNC Ported throttle body – Pray Performance

I had these installed by a mechanic as I have never modified any of my vehicles prior. A day later a check engine light came on. There was also a gas smell at startup. I called the shop up and they said I needed to install anti-foulers. I went back and had them installed by the same shop. This time two days later the light came back on. I had the codes pulled to see what they were.

P2099 - Post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank 2
P0430 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2).

I called up the shop again and they are saying that I need to tune the vehicle to remove this. The other idea they gave was to go back to stock throttle body. However, I want some other ideas. I feel like I should not need a tune for these small modifications. I know tuning will void my warranty. This is something that I do not want to do at the moment. The car only has 4900 miles on it.

Please help!
zodiac265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
You’ve removed the secondary cats and changed the throttle body. At this point you’re already going to have warranty issues so a tune won’t chnage much. I’d have it tuned. It’s been showed time and time again you can’t do much with these cars without a tune to correspond with the mods you have.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
zodiac265

Would going back to OEM throttle body remove the code? I know I removed some warranty but still have power train. As soon as I tune I lose that.

I will definitely think more about tuning now though. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Well the codes are cat inefficiency codes. Even though people say you can remove the secondary cats since they aren’t monitored, some have had issues still. So possibly the x pipe is your issue.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
post catalyst means the o2 sensor after the primary cat is reading badly.. check for exhaust leaks where they cut the secondary's off.. secondary cats are so far away from primary's there is no way the o2 sensor right after the primary cats is reading that data.. unless you have some sort of exhaust leak or insane amount of back pressure forcing exhaust back towards the o2 sensor. Could simply be a bad 02 sensor as well its only reading bank 2 not both.. And rich mean its getting more fuel then air.. everything you have done would make your car run leaner not richer.. somethings off.. put your stock TB back on pull the negative terminal of your battery and reconnect after 10 minutes and try again.. that will clear the code see if it comes back.

so a few things in summary here I dont see where it says you removed your secondary cats... not sure where nsx matt is getting that.

There is a good way to check your sensor.. swap your 02 sensors from left to right and see if the opposite bank fails.. if it does its a bad 02 sensor.

put stock TB back on clear the code with negative battery terminal pull and reconnect.

hope this information helps a bit.. Good lesson in doing 1 thing at a time if you install 20 mods you have 20 mods to trouble shoot.

If you do not know what im talking about as far as primary and secondary cats the primary cats are right off the block about 8 inches down there is a o2 sensor before and after those cats.. then a ways further about under the rear floorboard where you would put your feet are your secondary cats then you have your x pipe before your rear cradle/differential..

Sorry I am a bit all over the place. ..

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Could be a lack of back pressure also. The P2099 code comes up a lot on with the V8 guys who delete them and some never get it resolved unless they put the cats back or have it tuned. But then again lots of people installing a CAI get the same code. So it’s hard to tell.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Kairles

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green LS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post

so a few things in summary here I dont see where it says you removed your secondary cats... not sure where nsx matt is getting that.
The Borla 60611 isnt just an X-pipe. Its a mid pipe that deletes the secondary cat and AFM valves if equipped. It goes from just after the primary cats to just before the muffler.

I would think its an exhaust leak also.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
zodiac265

I am taking it back to the shop on Friday. I will have him check for exhaust leaks, and if not then maybe remove the Ported TB.

If none of this is the case I will be looking at possibly tuning. I will let everyone know after Friday.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairles View Post
The Borla 60611 isnt just an X-pipe. Its a mid pipe that deletes the secondary cat and AFM valves if equipped. It goes from just after the primary cats to just before the muffler.

I would think its an exhaust leak also.

Ahhh yes good catch... Yeah I wasnt looking at the part number.. These are the pipes with the flanges that mount right to the primary cats.. My guess would be an exhaust leak there since your 2nd o2 sensor is right by those flanges. Honestly Throttle body shouldnt have anything to do with it unless your getting bad readings up top from a sensor. Your long term and short term fuel trims do all your calculations on the back end from the o2 readings.

I def wouldnt tune it out until you know the cause if your o2 sensor is reading badly your ECM is fueling the car wrong. make sure when they did the install they didnt mess with the o2 sensor after the primary cats.

Also its super easy to swap out the sensor from side to side once its on the lift just flip flop from one side to the other and that will rule out a bad sensor.

but I am still banking on a exhaust leak somewhere by the sensor and its getting bad readings because of it.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
zodiac265

Update...

Took the car back to the shop where I had everything installed and there was an exhaust leak. I wanted to wait to see if the light would come back on, but it has been 3ish days now and still no return. Just want to thank everyone on here that helped! I was at a loss of what to do.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Glad you got it figured out and thanks for returning to let us know what it was!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac265 View Post
Update...

Took the car back to the shop where I had everything installed and there was an exhaust leak. I wanted to wait to see if the light would come back on, but it has been 3ish days now and still no return. Just want to thank everyone on here that helped! I was at a loss of what to do.
Awesome glad they resolved it for you !!! Exhaust leaks do funny stuff! thanks for coming back and letting us know. Good forum etiquette

Old 10-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
verdicaysen

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
This actually made me feel a ton better. I really want to get the Borla Atak Dual Mode NPP Exhaust setup.
verdicaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
zodiac265

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdicaysen View Post
This actually made me feel a ton better. I really want to get the Borla Atak Dual Mode NPP Exhaust setup.
It sounds really nice no lie. It doesn't take much have it open up and scream at you. It is pretty deep sounding. I like the sound but can be considered loud. Defintely look up the sound on the Borla website if you haven't already!