Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #29
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I just did the Delrin BK062 bushings this week. Did a little each night. Took me 4 jack stands, two jacks, 2 14” 2x4’s, and a torch. Definitely a torch.

I really wanted to avoid heat: safety reasons, burned rubber smell in car, and the potential hardness changes by locally heating the area. I used a sawzall from under car and cut bushings in 2 directions. Still didn’t budge. As soon as the torch came out, progress was made.

Some tips: drape a wet rag under your work. The rubber will spit, and embers jump out. Also, have a bucket of water to throw the bushing in as soon as it comes out. Also, fire extinguisher nearby is a must. Next, spread the heat around bushing as best you can. You can gauge progress because rubber starts to look wet. No need to heat further after that happens. Finally, the black cradle paint will turn matte with the heat. Some krylon clear will bring it back to new, and overspray risk is lower than a colored paint.

I also used ratchet tie downs to align the cradle to get all 4 bolts to seat. Remember also not to let the cradle torque new bushings once installed. As a result, I removed all 4, the reinstalled all 4. That way new Delrin bushings didn’t get ‘angled’ while I worked on other side.

Finally, it’s totally worth it as others have mentioned. Hard to find a mod that both drag and HPDE guys can agree on - this is a win-win. Car is way more precise and composed. No need to let it ‘settle’ after steering or throttle inputs.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #30
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
I'm looking into doing this kit on my daily-driven 2SS w/MRC.

How much does this change the ride quality of the car? The roads in Michigan are garbage, so I'm always concerned about any mod that may negatively impact ride quality.
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #31
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy81 View Post
I'm looking into doing this kit on my daily-driven 2SS w/MRC.

How much does this change the ride quality of the car? The roads in Michigan are garbage, so I'm always concerned about any mod that may negatively impact ride quality.
It does NOT change the ride quality at all, that is a function of the shocks and sway bars.

The rear cradle lockout kit or solid bushings eliminate the lateral movement of the rear-end in the corners or in quick transitions.

There is no downside to this (except the labor involved, at least with the bushing route)

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #32
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
It does NOT change the ride quality at all, that is a function of the shocks and sway bars.

The rear cradle lockout kit or solid bushings eliminate the lateral movement of the rear-end in the corners or in quick transitions.

There is no downside to this (except the labor involved, at least with the bushing route)
Ordered the kit from BTR and picked up the bolts from Pace. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:59 PM   #33
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy81 View Post
Ordered the kit from BTR and picked up the bolts from Pace. Thanks.
Ended up cancelling order with BTR since it was going to take weeks to arrive and placed an order with BMR directly using a discount code.

Just installed the kit. After a quick drive, I'm shocked at how much difference it makes. The rear end feels much more connected to the front end of the car. Car will slide around much more cleanly than before. Rear end no longer wants to walk around under hard turning/acceleration.

Some quick tips on the install. I did it in my driveway on jackstands in about 1.5 hours from jacking the car up to lowering it.

- Remove the wheels. It will make everything a breeze since you will be able to easily access the tops of the bushings through the wheel well.

- When messing with the front of the cradle I jacked it up using the diff, while in the rear I used a large flat part of the cradle.

- The four "bullets" that fill the voids in the rear bushings may not cooperate when trying to be shoved into the bushing. I had to use a small sledge to get them in. Once they were in most of the way, I held the metal washer in place and hand threaded the tip of the bolt. I then used my impact to slowly torque it down. Doing this caused the metal washer to press onto the bullets and force them into the bushing.

- I greased up all the parts with synthetic grease before installing them. Made things go a little easier.

Overall it wasn't a difficult install at all. Easier than replacing a shock, IMO.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #34
DegaZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
After reading all of this...now I want to upgrade..

However, the BMR BK062 Delrin Lock Out Kit appears to be sold everywhere. Does anyone know where it is available to buy now? Or recommend another worthy alternative?
DegaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #35
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegaZL1 View Post
However, the BMR BK062 Delrin Lock Out Kit appears to be sold everywhere. Does anyone know where it is available to buy now? Or recommend another worthy alternative?
I'm making my own out of 80 shore instead of BMR's 95. I asked Whiteline and a couple other places that do Poly bushings and nobody has developed for the gen6 for some reason. I mean Gen5 has kits so it's not like this is virgin territory...
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #36
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegaZL1 View Post
After reading all of this...now I want to upgrade..

Stock? Seems much better vs BMR, mine are due to be delivered today.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580842