Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #29
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by martelds View Post
Thanks for the tip. I just got new Michelin PILOT® SPORT 4 S. They sound and feel so much nicer than the GY runflats. I had no idea that was something. I bought a can of fixaflat, but this is a much better option. Unless I have a flat where i don't have service, which isn't a lot of places since I have Verizon.

A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 150 miles for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.
https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/wh...se-plan.html#_
This would make me want to have a spare, I think.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #30
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
This would make me want to have a spare, I think.
Yep, flat/ruined tire at the chili cook-off in Teralingua could/would ruin several of your days...some folks actually leave the metros in their Camaro.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #31
KevinTernes

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Has anyone tried to fit a full-sized spare in our trunk?
KevinTernes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #32
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Yep, flat/ruined tire at the chili cook-off in Teralingua could/would ruin several of your days...some folks actually leave the metros in their Camaro.
What are "the metros"?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #33
Yellow BB

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
if you buy the Michelin Pilot tires or the Continental Extreme Contact tires both of those companies will provide towing at no charge up to 150 miles if you have a flat.
Well that’s something I’ve never heard before! For me, if I drive out of town, I’m really out of town, like at least 100 miles away from any kind of reliable tire shop. The standard Goodyear F1 run flat won’t cut it for a 50 mile run. Good to know!
Yellow BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #34
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I had no problem using the new formulation of slime. I dumped my run flats early, just because I was moving to a different tire size. I was 150 miles away from home, and got a moderate leak, and put the new version of slime in my tire , refilled and drove it home and got it plugged from inside the next day. All the slime washed out because it’s now water soluble and it does not hurt sensors… I would do it again. It even says on the bottle it’s OK for sensors, and mine worked fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-50107-S...s%2C147&sr=8-4
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #35
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Ive been stranded, awful experience with Chevy roadside and then a dealer that wanted $48 for a patch job. Ive shied away from a slime job as they used to say it'd ruin the tire otherwise but if this new formula is better I may go that route. Looked in to a plug kit, inflator, and jack all in total was under $100 I think.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #36
wjmeyer

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS, 2LT
I finally got rid of the run-flats, too noisy and too hard on even moderate bumps in road. Like the above post with the pic of Viair unit and jack, etc., I now have a Viair 70p, scissors jack, telescoping lug wrench, and plug klt/tools under the black felt trunk cover. The dashboard will give me a low tire pressure warning so I can pull over to a safe area to fix the flat if necessary. If not, call a tow truck. My experience is that whenever a new tire gets a nail, the nail plugs the leak, making the leak very slow. Only tires near the end of their lifespan will go flat fast once they pick up a nail. Basically, I can't remember the last time I had to change to a spare on the road.

I replaced the run-flats with Kumho PA51 245/40R20 from Amazon for $112 each, 45k mile warranty, which are very quiet; I can now hear the radio on the highway! The savings from more expensive run-flats easily paid for the jack, Viair air compressor, etc. with money left over.
wjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #37
Yellow BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmeyer View Post
I finally got rid of the run-flats, too noisy and too hard on even moderate bumps in road. Like the above post with the pic of Viair unit and jack, etc., I now have a Viair 70p, scissors jack, telescoping lug wrench, and plug klt/tools under the black felt trunk cover. The dashboard will give me a low tire pressure warning so I can pull over to a safe area to fix the flat if necessary. If not, call a tow truck. My experience is that whenever a new tire gets a nail, the nail plugs the leak, making the leak very slow. Only tires near the end of their lifespan will go flat fast once they pick up a nail. Basically, I can't remember the last time I had to change to a spare on the road.

I replaced the run-flats with Kumho PA51 245/40R20 from Amazon for $112 each, 45k mile warranty, which are very quiet; I can now hear the radio on the highway! The savings from more expensive run-flats easily paid for the jack, Viair air compressor, etc. with money left over.
That might work for the RS model, but NOT the SS. We have larger brakes & two different tire sizes. I’m told not much will fit our rear wheel area due to the size of the brakes & wheel offset. I’m all ears if someone has an idea...
Old 08-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #38
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
https://modernspare.com/search-page/...amaro&cfy=2019

No direct experience with this. FYI
Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #39
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow BB View Post
That might work for the RS model, but NOT the SS. We have larger brakes & two different tire sizes. I’m told not much will fit our rear wheel area due to the size of the brakes & wheel offset. I’m all ears if someone has an idea...
Not sure what you mean here. The idea is no spare period, you plug any puncture you get on the tire without removing it and pump it back up with the compressor. Nothing to do with tire/brake size.
I ditched the run flats on my SS for Nitto 555’s and put a compressor and plug kit in the trunk well.
Car rides much better and quieter, and I don’t have to run snow/ice mode in the rain anymore.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #40
Yellow BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Not sure what you mean here. The idea is no spare period, you plug any puncture you get on the tire without removing it and pump it back up with the compressor. Nothing to do with tire/brake size.
I ditched the run flats on my SS for Nitto 555’s and put a compressor and plug kit in the trunk well.
Car rides much better and quieter, and I don’t have to run snow/ice mode in the rain anymore.
Oh wait, my bad! I somehow thought we were talking about adding a spare tire...duh!
Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #41
Yellow BB

I just watched the latest edition of Consumer Reports Talking Cars. A reader asked about replacing run flat tires with conventional tires & they advised against it! Their rationale is that cars with factory installed run flats are designed specifically to use that type of tire & by changing that, can seriously change the handling of the car. I never gave that much thought to that issue. Does anyone have a recent list of all of the current run flats available for the SS & above? Some of the tire testing websites are outdated.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #42
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Many of us are enjoying non run-flat tires on our SSs.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote