Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 12-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
shack

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Review

Hello Camaro6, rather new to the Camaro, much less GM world, I purchased a 2020 Camaro 1SS in September.

Preface:

I knew from my reading that the stock Goodyear F1's while good tires, were summer tires, and well, wouldn't handle well for cold weather. I bought my SS to daily, and in North Texas, it occasionally gets cold enough to make the summer tires, less than ideal, and made me uncomfortable some mornings taking my son to school, even with light throttle.

So this in mind lead me down research road on UHP All Season tires, and I wanted to keep much of the handling characteristics in tact from the stock Goodyear's, so that meant a relatively stiff sidewall, and good traction wet/dry. From my research my field was pretty quickly narrowed to: Continental DWS06, Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

The DWS06 my friend has on his Scat Pack, and they seem to be a decent tire, but he and many others mentioned the sidewall stiffness was lacking, leading to sometimes sloppy turn in capabilities, this left me with the Exhilarate or A/S 3+, Goodyear had the rears backordered, with no ETA!

Ok all that to say here is what I have to say after ~500 miles on the new A/S 3+

Review/Thoughts (compared to ~6800 miles on OE Goodyear):

These tires have been great, I had them installed on a dry day, and the very next day it rained, so I got to try them out with just myself in the car in both wet and dry conditions. The OE Goodyear tires are my frame of reference, so taking identical roads, these tires handled every bit as a good as the OE tires when taking corners, and seem to be extremely smooth at, above average speeds. Traction from a stop is great, and with even spirited driving they grip, maybe even better than the OE Goodyear tires.

I've read about noisy tread on the A/S 3+, and can say I don't believe them to have a lot of road noise in comparison to the OE tires, about the same, the lack of run on flat capability means the sidewall, while stiff, absorbs bumps and road imperfections a bit better. I would say the Camaro doesn't ride like a luxury car, but is surprisingly comfortable for what it is with these tires.

I believe I'll likely end up with another set of rims to mount summer tires to for the months that it makes sense to run them, to get some extra life in between sets of tires. Though, I can say with confidence for my daily driver Camaro, I could likely run these tires year round with ease, and I suspect they'd even do fine on the occasional track day or drag strip visit. Now to pick up a tire inflation kit, just in case!
shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
cgdelena

Drives: 2019 2SS
Thanks for your history and impressions. I have had a couple of cold surface and hydroplane experiences that have me looking at the A/S 3+ tires. The OE tires are great in warm dry conditions but can be unnerving with bad road conditions. I will likely follow you with the A/S 3+ tires when the budget allows.
cgdelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
It seems that the tires that you like, the tire company's don't make them in the size that you need, they would have one size and not other, yes I would want to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but they have one size and not the other, I sent a message to BFGoodrich about their Comp 2 AS, which is a good tire when I had my 17 1SS and their response was of course we don't make them in 325/30-19 as well in a 305/30-19, too bad because they would be a good tire for the ZLE.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Just read this as I'm in the market for new tires soon as well, I see that Goodyear doesn't even make a 275 for the rear any longer in the AS3. Guess I'm going with Mich. Update, bought these today, and I can say for all seasons they are friggen awsome, good grip, quiet and way better ride the the stock GY.

Last edited by ssmofo; 02-29-2020 at 04:45 PM.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
As3+ are definitely the best all season tires for the SS.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #6
rdgdawg
rdgdawg

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Did much research on this as here in WI the roads flat out SUCK so all-seasons make more sense (and I drive in winter minus days with snow and salt on roads). Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for my former C7, ran incredibly well in all conditions for 2K+ miles before selling the Vette.

I've had the Continentals on my old Mazda RX8... was very pleased as well. They are better in cold winter temps than the Michelins.

Will be putting one of the two on my FIFTY shortly (depending on availability)... both GREAT tires!!!

Last edited by rdgdawg; 02-27-2020 at 08:49 AM.
rdgdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
my3sons_nh

Drives: 2018 2SS A8 Convertible Garnet Red
Very timely post... Winter is easing off in New England and thoughts turning to spring... I'm looking at both DWS06 and A/S 3+ on Tirerack... Looking for all season rather than summer as mixed driving and want to be sure footed... I've always gone Michelin on my prior vehicles and never disappointed. Tks!
my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Updates from you guys with these?

About to order tires & these are at the top of my list.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I got a set of these back in March for my daily set and have been extremely happy with them. Being the 2.0T I saw no need for a summer tire just for driving around town, and it does snow here in NC every now and then, so it can be nice knowing that I won't get stuck out in it. They seem to have a similar level of grip as the Hankook summer tires that came on the car when I bought it. They're not the quietest or smoothest riding tires I've ever had, but they're not bad by any stretch of the imagination. I tested them in heavy rain to see how they handled hydroplaning, and they were quite impressive. When everyone else was going under 50 down the highway, I had zero issues maintaining 70.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote