Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
When a TPMS sensor goes out fun time us over!

AutoX event this weekend in additon to 8 runs on the Dragon.

Right front sensor went out.
Man. Talk about a PITA. Any corner not taken at a gentle pace/speed would cause stabilitrak to kick in with reduced wheel power. I did not expect the car to gently apply the brakes either. TPMS light was on the dash but stabilitrak did not light up. I played this game for an hour. Was an interesting experience. I kept in touch with the person behind me and he said my brake lights were coming on when I in fact was not braking and the car was.

Luckily an hour later it came back on.

It's all in my head but I swear the car handled differently after that. She wasn't as responsive and didn't feel as tight in the corners.

Thoughts?
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
GAFUN

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1LE
Interesting, I have a second set of 1LE wheels as track wheels and they do not
have TPMS sensors. The guy I bought the wheels from said you dont have to have them. Can they be disabled for track wheels?

Russ
GAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
If you have a signal from all the TPMS sensors everything will be okay, if you have no signal from all the sensors everything will be okay, but if you are missing one to three sensors, the Stabilitrak system assumes there is a problem and intervenes quite aggressively.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
If you have a signal from all the TPMS sensors everything will be okay, if you have no signal from all the sensors everything will be okay, but if you are missing one to three sensors, the Stabilitrak system assumes there is a problem and intervenes quite aggressively.
This. All the control systems turn back on if you get a low tire pressure or lose communication with one of the TPMS sensors, and they're quite aggressive and will slow you down on any type of track. Shouldn't have had an issue when the sensor re-registered though, think that's more in your head.

If you run into this again, there's a trick you can do to bypass the issue. It's the same as the Corvette's trick here. Basically stop, set the parking brake, and push the traction switch 6 times in 5 seconds. That should let you get back into competitive mode for any missing TPMS sensors at least.