Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
deftone31

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro
Bose Audio help! There is no way it should sound this terrible 😩

I’m running into issues with my 2017 Bose/9 speaker system. The system sounds Exxxxxtremely flat/dull & lifeless. There is lack of bass, barely any crisp highs...The system honestly disappoints me beyond belief......I’m not sure if it is the amp or speakers...I bought my car used with 46K miles. I have looked at all the speakers and they are OEM bose/according to spec of vehicle, as well as the amp. No visible signs of tears or cracks. My goal is to figure out the curlpit before dumping money aftermarket. I just feel like there is no way Bose would sell a product as such. Are there any specifics/diagrams available of the radio receiver/connections from receiver that merge and talk to the Bose amp? Could my amp be in a protect mode? Any ways to reset???.... My bass is all the way up, mid- half way, treble- practically all the way up. The speakers are louder in the dash than the doors for sure. I have my headunit practically all the way max volume and it’s not that powerful.....Is there a way I can test the connectors with a voltmeter? Or would going on the dealership be safest/least hassle ? This is my second Camaro with stereo issues. When I had my 2016, the dealership told me I needed a new amp due to a service code... After swapping out the amp i also bought a new receiver in hopes it would clear up the sound, it did not...im trying not to run into the same problems :( any help and assistance is appreciated
deftone31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Personally, I don't care for Bose in-car systems. But, it's what we get... Oh well.

Research the Active Noise Canceling feature and see if you can disable it for testing purposes (I believe you have to either remove or cut wires from the amp) by, essentially, disabling the microphones that feed the system. I have read about this feature causing problems of various sorts and the microphones could be causing issues that would result in the sort of 'flatness' you're describing.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
When I got my car from the individual I bought it from the Bose Audio sounded horrible as well. I know this because our 15 Impala has the Bose system and it sounded 100x's better then the Bose in my Camaro. It was as simple as going into the menu and there was a control like a compass that has a circle to direct where you want the sound to go to. The previous owner had it down to the south east direction. I centered it right in the center and it made a night/day difference. I think I also change the EQ setting on that screen to either Rock or Classic. I don't recall which. That was all it was for me. I was experiencing the same symptoms as you. Had to have the volume way up.. Not anymore.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
When I got my car from the individual I bought it from the Bose Audio sounded horrible as well. I know this because our 15 Impala has the Bose system and it sounded 100x's better then the Bose in my Camaro. It was as simple as going into the menu and there was a control like a compass that has a circle to direct where you want the sound to go to. The previous owner had it down to the south east direction. I centered it right in the center and it made a night/day difference. I think I also change the EQ setting on that screen to either Rock or Classic. I don't recall which. That was all it was for me. I was experiencing the same symptoms as you. Had to have the volume way up.. Not anymore.
You remind me of the idea that you should ALWAYS start with the simple things first. I definitely suggest checking out the various settings BEFORE tinkering with wiring.

Might make sense to actually do a reset on the data in all of the menus...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
I wish they had made it a system that could have been upgrade or replaced. I'm no fan of Bose either. The old saying "no highs, no lows, must be BOSE" is spot on.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
You have to go into the tone menu and make adjustments.....to bass mids and treble.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
You have to go into the tone menu and make adjustments.....to bass mids and treble.
If you mean me, I did that day one. For an expensive "high end" system, it's sounds flat no matter what.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Definitely check the Balance and Fade. I have a friend with 2 small daughters so the stereo in all of his cars is pushed all the way forward so only the fronts or dash speakers get sound and it sounds like crap but it is quiet for the girls in the back. Yours could be a simple fix too.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
deftone31

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro
Checked all the tone settings and fade since day one. It was hard for me to believe it could sound this unclear. Fade is center stag, My treble is almost all the way up , same with bass. Midrange is halfway.
deftone31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
As others said, if you really care about the sound quality, yeah, the factory Bose is going to disappoint you.

Sounds like you have pretty much tried everything you could at this point.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #11
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Bose is shit in general, that said if you have an aftermarket exhaust the noise canceling system is wrecking your audio and the sound of your exhaust. There are two interior microphones that are listening for out of range frequencies and the audio system is reproducing out of phase sound waves to cancel them. You can either cut the wires at the processor in the trunk or buy a dongle that will plug in between the connector, this transformed my audio and the exhaust sound, money well spent.

http://********.com/Search-Results?k...11&search_y=13

This site is blocking this link for some reason, search for "2016-2020 Camaro With BOSE Active Noise Cancellation Defeat Harness" the site is $ubthump..
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
I find the Bose to be a pretty decent sounding factory audio system. Mine is very clear with no distortion even at higher volumes. I think it’s good at what it’s intended to give which is clean sounding well rounded audio.

My settings which I think I got from this forum:
Bass and mid +1 from middle
Treble mid
Fader +1 to front

I’ll say that you should be able to turn the volume up around 3/4 full with no distortion with these settings and it should sound pretty good. If you have distortion I’d say something is wrong.

Last edited by Aaron07; 07-17-2020 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Tone settings
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
I wish they had made it a system that could have been upgrade or replaced. I'm no fan of Bose either. The old saying "no highs, no lows, must be BOSE" is spot on.
It can be. Check the A/V forums. Lots of info.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #14
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
My Silverado has a bose sytem, sounds excellent and get several compliment from friends on the sound. My grandson's 3LT RS has bose and it too sounds excellent. Maybe some defective systems are getting into some vehicles.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote