Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Respond below Accordingly
I have high flow catted mid pipes/factory manifolds and get no CEL 9 36.00%
I have high flow catted mid pipes/factory manifolds and HAVE gotten a CEL 2 8.00%
I don't have mid pipes and would not consider a product that throws codes 11 44.00%
I do not have high flow catted mids, and could overlook a CEL if the product was really good 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #15
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I think this will boil down to a 50/50 market - those who will tune and those who will not.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #16
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Hmmm, prob a thousand miles on jba and no cel...hope I don't get one either.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
stvbldso

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
JBA owners, I meant no offense. Watching the posts, the ones that mention CELs seem to have JBAs - and there are those like some of you who have JBAs and have had no problems. On posts discussing Solo pipes, there seem to be no problems at all. However, I think that if you guys had a CEL, you would not be happy, right?
So.....Maryland Speed guys, my vote is that you do whatever you have to do to avoid the dreaded CEL.
2013 Suburban 1500 LT
stvbldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvbldso View Post
JBA owners, I meant no offense. Watching the posts, the ones that mention CELs seem to have JBAs - and there are those like some of you who have JBAs and have had no problems. On posts discussing Solo pipes, there seem to be no problems at all. However, I think that if you guys had a CEL, you would not be happy, right?
So.....Maryland Speed guys, my vote is that you do whatever you have to do to avoid the dreaded CEL.
Yep, I have the JBA mids so it might just be a problem with a portion of them. I guess that might be why they are $200 less then the Solo ones.

To answer the OP's question, it is certainly worth the extra $200 to not get the CEL. To me it is a piece of mind and the fact that what if something goes wrong down the road, if my check engine light is already on I wont know there is an additional issue. It is just an uneasy feeling seeing that check engine light, to me anyway.

The people who originally bought the JBA's werent getting a CEL with 500 plus miles on them and I didnt either til I put around 2k miles on them. If I would of known there was around a 50/50 shot of getting a CEL I would of spent the extra money on the Solo mid pipes but at the time no one was having issues with the JBA so I didnt see a reason to spend the extra money on the Solo.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
It has nothing to do with the installation. Its a remove and replace deal.

The code is normally one that means the front and rear O2 sensor are reading the same or very close. The computer is expecting them to be different because of how restrictive the cats in between them are. Solo probaly does not throw codes because it has a bit more engineering to it. JBA's are fairly standard..and in most cases they don't throw codes. However all it takes is the a split second at the right operatating situation for the code to show up.

We are heading down the path of more engineering right now.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
Inferno2SS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I disconnected my battery today and the code is gone. I put about 100 miles on it after connecting the battery back up and no CEL. Hopefully it will stay gone for a while.
Inferno2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #21
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
maybe this is a dumb question, but still wanna ask.. i have JBA mids.. i got a tune and dont care about the code problem... but the way some people were talking about the JBA compared to solo. sure i would have to say solo is the better cats. .. is there any other problem with JBA cats other then the codes that could pop up... like are the cats made well and will last a long time... ???
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
J Webb

Drives: 2010 2ss iom
I have clear image head pipes with hi flow cats. No cell. Over ten thousand miles on em.
J Webb is offline   Reply With Quote