Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-19-2023, 10:21 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Before and After using a rotary polisher

After spending THREE FULL DAYS polishing the top surfaces of my Camaro, I THOUGHT I had corrected the damage cause by sitting uncared for, outside for a month in the weather. I was WRONG.

I had THOUGHT my orbital with aggressive pads and a good compound had cleared up the water spots and etching. I was WRONG.

My FIRST thought, when I saw the condition of the top surfaces of the car was: "It's going to take a rotary, or wet-sanding to fix this." I was RIGHT!

I went out this morning, with my coffee, just to LOOK at the car (I mean, who DOESN'T do that once in a while?), and I saw that the damage I had THOUGHT gone, had "come back."

Fortunately, I HAVE a rotary, and while it isn't my FAVORITE polisher, I know how to use it. So out comes the rotary, a couple of light polishing foam pads, and the Turtle Wax, 1 and Done Compound. Attaching a pad to the polisher, and adding a bit of compound, and setting the polisher on about 2.5, I start on a small area on the roof (less visible if something goes wrong).

Unbelievably (for me anyway), everything went RIGHT! SO I did the roof and the truck lid, spoiler and the tops of the quarter panels, bringing them finally back to where they SHOULD be. I saved the hood for last, knowing I would want a 50/50 picture.

After the rotary, I used my orbital, with a light cutting pad and the TW compound to 'clean up' the holograms left by the rotary - perfect! When I got to the hood, I did the driver's side with the rotary, then the orbital and move in for the picture, taking if from the passenger side looking across the hood, so the difference would really stand out, and took the picture, then finished the hood. Then I moved the car out of the garage for a quick wash (rotaries can be MESSY). Then pulled it back in the garage and dried it off.

The 2nd picture is the hood, compounded, polished, washed and ready for wax (which has been applied and is "curing" as I type).

ALL of the damage has been removed, the "haze" in the 2nd picture is just the THOUSANDS of pits from being highway driven for over 166,200 miles, and DOES NOT look as bad in person.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2023, 09:23 PM   #2
andrewassurance

Drives: Camaro
Not bad at all....
andrewassurance is offline   Reply With Quote