Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-16-2023, 05:02 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
TOTAL interior & Exterior detail on a winter-neglected Camaro - RESULTS

When I retired last September, I put the Camaro in the garage for the winter. It had a few mechanical issues, but since I wouldn't be driving it until Spring, they could wait.

Last month, I had it towed to my mechanic to fix everything. It was only supposed to take a few DAYS to take care of everything, but THANKS TO THIS NEW CROP OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO WORK ANYMORE, there were supply-line issues and the repairs took a month. He is an awesome mechanic, but has a small shop with no indoor storage, so my car sat in the lot (on a busy street) for a month, getting tons of road dust on it, being rained on and sun-dried, etc.

So when I picked it up Tuesday morning, the hood, roof and trunk lid were HORRIBLE. Water spots that were baked in and such - to the point where many detailers would have thought that it would take at least a rotary buffer, if not wet-sanding to fix (spoiler alert: I WAS able to 'fix it' with just my orbital polisher), but I DID have to compound the top surfaces TWICE. First with an aggressive foam cutting pad, then a second time with a light foam cutting pad.

I DO NOT blame the mechanic, he is a small-business owner and is both the owner AND head mechanic, and simply doesn't have the space to store cars inside.

He did have it washed at the touchless wash across the street from him when he was done, so when I got it home, all I needed to do was a quick wipe-down using a bunch of microfibers and TW 3 in 1 Quick Detailer before I could get started correcting the paint.

But I didn't START with the paint, I started on the interior, which (no kidding) had NOT been cleaned in OVER a year. I blame The Job for that. 12 and 16 hour shifts, little time off, being SO worn out that the days I DID have off, were spent sleeping and TRYING to recover to go back and do it again. It took everything I had JUST to keep the OUTSIDE looking nice.

Here is a short video of the entire car AFTER THREE DAYS (some starting at 1 am and continuing until I was ready to drop), of cleaning and correcting. If you want to see how it looked BEFORE, I also put up a couple of videos showing the condition it was in, before I got started.

After three DAYS of detailing, here are the results
Old 06-16-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
Nailbender

Drives: Chevy Camaro hwse 2018 GMC Sierra 1
Impressive job!!!
Nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post