Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Learning about the 1LE Idiosyncrasies...

So far I've read about 2 characteristics with the 1LE:

Skip Shift Eliminator
Sound Foam

So this skip shift the computer does when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but forces a 1st to 4th, is it to save fuel?
I've read that if you run up the rpms while in 1st it will not happen...true?

If this is the case, then this is sounding more and more like the American Muscle I've been looking for!
I've owned European sport cars in the past for tracking/autox, but always wanted a V8 powered car.
In those cars I always shift at the power ban of the rpm, since I wanted to always be in the power ban in all gears. The rpm would drop between 300 - 500 rpms while shifting, hence taking it all the way up to the power ban.
If this is the case with the 1LE, I don't expect to see the "skip shift" notice, just hope this is the case.

Now for the sound foam in the engine compartment to help with the engine noise in the cabin for the A8, I'm definitely removing this if that's the case. The more I can hear the revs the better...kind of like shifting without using the clutch in the old days.

What else is there about this car that owners should know about?
Please list them if you are aware of others.

Thank you!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
Skip shift will not activate as long as you don't shift before somewhere around 18-19mph if the notification does pop up just keep giving it gas and it will go away if it becomes a problem there is a $25 harness you can buy that will disable it.

as for the foam your post is a little confusing as you refer to the A8 but the 1le has the M6. I did remove the foam insulator and did not find that much of a difference between it being there and not being there.

few points that make the 1le a little different from a regular SS is the E-Diff and has PTM modes, it has the LT4 fuel pump instead of the LT1,

If you are looking into a 1le you should find the post in the fourms on the PTM modes that the 1le has access to that is the most informational thread about the 1le and how to use it to its potential use the search button and search PTM
Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Skip shift will not activate as long as you don't shift before somewhere around 18-19mph if the notification does pop up just keep giving it gas and it will go away if it becomes a problem there is a $25 harness you can buy that will disable it.

as for the foam your post is a little confusing as you refer to the A8 but the 1le has the M6. I did remove the foam insulator and did not find that much of a difference between it being there and not being there.

few points that make the 1le a little different from a regular SS is the E-Diff and has PTM modes, it has the LT4 fuel pump instead of the LT1,

If you are looking into a 1le you should find the post in the fourms on the PTM modes that the 1le has access to that is the most informational thread about the 1le and how to use it to its potential use the search button and search PTM

Sorry for the confusion on the A8, but I thought the purpose of the foam in the tubing was for the A8 originally.
Thank you for the heads up on the PTM, I'll do a search and check it out.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
OVRKLL

WHEW!
I did the search on PTM, and I'll need more time to read all the info there...it's a lot and very interesting.
I need to get the car first and drive, so I can see what happens when pushing what button.
Seems like there's a master mode (i.e. Traction Control, has Wet, Dry, Sport 1, 2 and Race) if I understand what is shown.

Now I want to get this car even more...great info on this forum!

Old 03-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I live on an Army base where all the housing area speed limits are 15mph. So when I accelerate and go to shift the skip shift kicks in...No GM, I would not like to drive 15mph in 4th.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
1-4 skip shift isn't 1LE specific. It's been de-facto in domestic 6MT's since at least the 1st gen Viper.

As for the rest of the car, I highly recommend reading the Owners Manual, Performance Supplement, and Track Preparation guides. All of them add up to a very good picture of the vehicles extensive technical implements.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
I live on an Army base where all the housing area speed limits are 15mph. So when I accelerate and go to shift the skip shift kicks in...No GM, I would not like to drive 15mph in 4th.
If I'm driving around slow (15mph), or in a parking lot, I just wait a second in neutral (when the 1-4 happens), then it goes into second no problem. I was planning on buying the by-pass connector, but I can definitely live with it if I just pause a second. It's not like I'm in a hurry...

If I'm out on the road when the 1-4 happens, I just allow the motor to rev past that 1-4 point. When the light goes out, I just shift normally.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
After doing much research into my next track car, and despite my wife's urging to buy another Pcar, I picked the SS 1LE. I haven't had it to the track yet and it's barely out of break-in, but I'm already in love. It has the same visceral thrill I get from my C5Z06, that was not part of my 911 experience.

As others have said the skip shift is never an issue if you drive it like a sports car.

Get the car. You'll be amazed how good it is, never mind the fact that you could get three of them for the price of a new Carerra S that will not be able to keep up with you on the track.
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post

Get the car. You'll be amazed how good it is, never mind the fact that you could get three of them for the price of a new Carerra S that will not be able to keep up with you on the track.
What he said X100
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #10
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I’ve had mine 1 week and freaking love the car !! Yes it takes time to get used to the clutch but it’s been 20 years since I had a manual , love the rev match , car is beautiful and rides pretty damn well for what it is !
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
This is your 5th post on the 1LE turning into long threads....OP, you are definitely living up to your name. LOL
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I use the 1-4 much of the time and don’t care, the two times I don’t are limited traction on ice-snow where I’ll shift 1-2 or 1-3 before skip skirt locks them out. Plenty of torque allows this. The other is when I want to accelerate fast.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #13
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post
After doing much research into my next track car, and despite my wife's urging to buy another Pcar, I picked the SS 1LE. I haven't had it to the track yet and it's barely out of break-in, but I'm already in love. It has the same visceral thrill I get from my C5Z06, that was not part of my 911 experience.

As others have said the skip shift is never an issue if you drive it like a sports car.

Yeah I miss my '84 Carrera...loved the high rpms, but the maintenance was another issue, plus 12 qts of oil.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
I’ve had mine 1 week and freaking love the car !! Yes it takes time to get used to the clutch but it’s been 20 years since I had a manual , love the rev match , car is beautiful and rides pretty damn well for what it is !
I hear you, haven't driven a manual for sometime myself, hence I need to get a manual now. I'm sure I'll love the the mechanics of the car as well as all the different programs it has!