#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #43
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I am glad you brought Coby into the picture! So...

Firstly, his skill as a driver I suspect that if a vast majority of members here tried to drive a car as fast as he does, they would end up in a fence and on a wrecker in less than a lap. So dont even imagine for a second, that you could just jump in his car and even remotely equal his lap times.

Secondly, his laps are very fast indeed, but his car is seriously modded: power, weight, aero, slicks, etc.
Mods are useless and complete waste of money UNLESS a driver can push a car further to take advantage of them.

Thirdly, he is a talented (and committed) competitor with a pretty big wallet. His coilovers go for about $8Gs plus install. Dont think that an average driver would somehow magically lower their laptimes unless they could push the car as well as he does. An average driver woud be much better served with more power and stickier tires as far as their ability to get value out of mods. And, of course, the very first mod should be spending money to increase skill of the nut behind the wheel, until they can wheel a car as well as Coby can.

If you can drive as well as Coby and getting extra tenths or whatever stands between you and a trophy AND you have THOUSANDS to spend: by all means GO FOR IT!!!

BUT, dont even put YYZ springs in the same sentence as his coilovers. That would be like comparing apples to bananas, never mind oranges!

What we dont know, is exactly how much pace his coilovers are worth over stock MRC plus extra 100HP/TQ
200lb less weight (a bit of a guess), aero, slicks, etc. And maybe he doesn't know either. Most certainly YOU dont know. So please stop trying to insinuate outcomes you have no idea about.

Here's another trivia for you: Coby's time at NCM in a modded SS 1LE is about 1 second faster than Provoste time in a BONE STOCK car.

Cheers!
Agree mostly, but Provoste basically lives there so it's not fair (sorry Provoste not a dig as you clearly are one of the best on Camaro6), compared to mine and Coby's first time there. As i said in the track times thread, that track is intimidating and you preach the nut behind the wheel all the time, well we all know that the more time and experience you have at a certain track will lower laptimes significantly.

Seems like Coby lives at VIR haha. I need to move in at Watkins Glen or Pitt Race. I didn't make it to the Glen at all this year as my 2 day event was cancelled and I think I only made 4 TNiAs at Pitt. Not enough seat time or money...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #44
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #45
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I don't think anyone here is saying the world is going to end if you put on lowering springs. It's just that you bought the best-handling Camaro and now you want to decrease that, which kind of calls into question why a 1LE was purchased in the first place if you didn't care about the handling. There are ways to lower and retain handling or even improve it, but lowering springs is not that way. That's why so many people question it. It may be fine "most of the time", but another perspective is in an emergency situation, or if you decide to push the car to the extreme a little more, that's where you might find the biggest difference and the effects could be far greater in that situation. Still, it's your car and you can do anything you want to it.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #46
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Agree mostly, but Provoste basically lives there so it's not fair (sorry Provoste not a dig as you clearly are one of the best on Camaro6), compared to mine and Coby's first time there. As i said in the track times thread, that track is intimidating and you preach the nut behind the wheel all the time, well we all know that the more time and experience you have at a certain track will lower laptimes significantly.

Seems like Coby lives at VIR haha. I need to move in at Watkins Glen or Pitt Race. I didn't make it to the Glen at all this year as my 2 day event was cancelled and I think I only made 4 TNiAs at Pitt. Not enough seat time or money...
Glad you have chimed in here, as one of the fast Camaro6 track rats! Of course, i agree with your comments. Familiarity with a venue, trusting a car and skill to get 100% out of - all play most dominant roles in going fast.

My point is, that for you, or Coby to go faster there, the path to achieve it is more seatime to increase familiarity with the track (plus studying the track, visualizing, etc) vs a new set of coilovers. All things being equal and assuming a car handles well to start with. Albeit, in your case specifically, playing with the sways may produce better balance and hence results. But that's simple adjustments vs blowing 8+ gees outta your wallet. And since you are experienced you know it. Hence i bet you will focus on the right stuff vs spending $$$ looking for "magic" to gain pace vs getting the basics right.

What Provoste lap in a bone stock car clearly indicates, is how much pace is available in an SS 1LE if a driver knows how to unlock it. Provoste doesn't "live" at the Glen, yet he has managed to get an amazing 2:04 there on take offs (with otherwise bone stock car).

So my general point to anyone that has an SS 1LE is: spend you money on consumables and seat time. Afterall, more seat time equals more fun, right?!
Once you know how to get 100% outta the car (read: driver skill) spend your money on G3Rs or other stickier rubber. Then maybe increase power and reduce weight (if you must). Friggin with its excellent suspension, which is integrated with the car handling electronics should be the very last on the list. And very likely, will provide for the smallest pace increase delta (if any).

Another point: my season this year was extremely short. But, i have stil managed to pull off 2 PBs on both tracks i ran this year. By quite a margin. How? Because i have adjusted my trail braking (something i had practiced all winter on iRacing). Now if i had spent $8k (that's almost a quarter of value of my 2020 btw!!!) i would defo boast it was the mod. But, obviously, i would have been badly mistaken.

Well, this has turned into another "TC novel", so i will stop now Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #47
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Glad you have chimed in here, as one of the fast Camaro6 track rats! Of course, i agree with your comments. Familiarity with a venue, trusting a car and skill to get 100% out of - all play most dominant roles in going fast.

My point is, that for you, or Coby to go faster there, the path to achieve it is more seatime to increase familiarity with the track (plus studying the track, visualizing, etc) vs a new set of coilovers. All things being equal and assuming a car handles well to start with. Albeit, in your case specifically, playing with the sways may produce better balance and hence results. But that's simple adjustments vs blowing 8+ gees outta your wallet. And since you are experienced you know it. Hence i bet you will focus on the right stuff vs spending $$$ looking for "magic" to gain pace vs getting the basics right.

What Provoste lap in a bone stock car clearly indicates, is how much pace is available in an SS 1LE if a driver knows how to unlock it. Provoste doesn't "live" at the Glen, yet he has managed to get an amazing 2:04 there on take offs (with otherwise bone stock car).

So my general point to anyone that has an SS 1LE is: spend you money on consumables and seat time. Afterall, more seat time equals more fun, right?!
Once you know how to get 100% outta the car (read: driver skill) spend your money on G3Rs or other stickier rubber. Then maybe increase power and reduce weight (if you must). Friggin with its excellent suspension, which is integrated with the car handling electronics should be the very last on the list. And very likely, will provide for the smallest pace increase delta (if any).

Another point: my season this year was extremely short. But, i have stil managed to pull off 2 PBs on both tracks i ran this year. By quite a margin. How? Because i have adjusted my trail braking (something i had practiced all winter on iRacing). Now if i had spent $8k (that's almost a quarter of value of my 2020 btw!!!) i would defo boast it was the mod. But, obviously, i would have been badly mistaken.

Well, this has turned into another "TC novel", so i will stop now Cheers!
But how much did you spend on iRacing?

Yes, seat time always wins followed closely by rubber. Racing is a rich man's game however and money can overcome quite a bit in some cases. Probably not in the case of lowering springs though.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #48
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
But how much did you spend on iRacing?

Yes, seat time always wins followed closely by rubber. Racing is a rich man's game however and money can overcome quite a bit in some cases. Probably not in the case of lowering springs though.
Well said! As far as iRacing, my rig is lower midde class and I've only done 1 upgrade over the years: from base Logitech to middle class Fanatec My current rig is 4 yrs old.

Just like in RL, equipment CAN make a differece (especially decent pedals), but at the end - skill and tons of practice win (to learn a track, adjust to a given set up, weather conditions, etc.)
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #49
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
this is coby shield the guy that replaced his oem 1le magride with the dsc sport kit he is a fastboi and has set multiple track records this year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt...shthaRlkyp1UjQ

i dont have link or any photos right now but our other buddy just replaced the oem dssv with a 1 way mcs coilover kit

magride/dssv is not the holy grail...is it good from the factory for most people? yes

can it be improved on? yes
Your post has ZERO relevance to what the OP is asking about or wanting to do. The topic is putting lowering springs on the stock MRC shocks, NOT tearing down a car and rebuilding it up as a race car.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #50
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Your post has ZERO relevance to what the OP is asking about or wanting to do. The topic is putting lowering springs on the stock MRC shocks, NOT tearing down a car and rebuilding it up as a race car.

correct but it has relevance to everybody thinking that the 1le is the holy ghost suspension and nothing out there is better lol which is not true

and tearing down a car to build a race car isnt the same as removing magride and putting coilovers on a car as you should know with your old vehicles
Old 10-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #51
TrackClub

Quote:
correct but it has relevance to everybody thinking that the 1le is the holy ghost suspension and nothing out there is better lol which is not true

and tearing down a car to build a race car isnt the same as removing magride and putting coilovers on a car as you should know with your old vehicles

Krops...the 1LE is superb out of the box and an incredible performer. Even pro drivers are quick to point it out with virtually zero reservations. And as you know, skilled drivers are capable of fantastic lap times. Please accept it as reality, as you are starting to fight with proverbial windmills here.

EVERYTHING in this world can be improved. The question is, to what extend, at what cost and for what kind of a gain. In the case of 1LE, spending thousands to upgrade its already fantastic set up makes very little sense. Not that it must not be on the list, but it should be the last item on the list. And only if one doesnt mind spending a ton of money for likely very little gain, if at all.
And only if somebody's skill can actually get some gain from it.

Therefore, ripping MRC out, to replace it with coilovers makes ZERO sense as that's likely the most key component that makes 1LE a superb track car. A component that is integrated with other key handling systems like ELSD and PTM.

For goodness sake...
Old 10-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #52
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Quote:

Krops...the 1LE is superb out of the box and an incredible performer. Even pro drivers are quick to point it out with virtually zero reservations. And as you know, skilled drivers are capable of fantastic lap times. Please accept it as reality, as you are starting to fight with proverbial windmills here.

EVERYTHING in this world can be improved. The question is, to what extend, at what cost and for what kind of a gain. In the case of 1LE, spending thousands to upgrade its already fantastic set up makes very little sense. Not that it must not be on the list, but it should be the last item on the list. And only if one doesnt mind spending a ton of money for likely very little gain, if at all.
And only if somebody's skill can actually get some gain from it.

Therefore, ripping MRC out, to replace it with coilovers makes ZERO sense as that's likely the most key component that makes 1LE a superb track car. A component that is integrated with other key handling systems like ELSD and PTM.

For goodness sake...
Ditto what TrackClub said, hits the nail pretty squarely on the head. No one is trying to say the 1LE is the absolute best suspension setup there is, but it's still really d*** good off the showroom floor with a few very inexpensive tweaks. That's what all the praise is about because there aren't many cars out there that can make the same claim, especially for the cost. OP was asking about lowering springs and what to expect, and people chiming in with the warning that only switching to lowering springs will likely reduce track performance is an absolutely valid point to make. Bringing in references to other cars running full suspension swaps or more is a completely different discussion and out of the scope of just swapping in lowering springs.

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 10-23-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #53
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
GUESS I AIN'T LOWERIN THE CAR FELLAS. But a little loss in gap would be nice. All good
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #54
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Bags or GTFO.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #55
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Bags or GTFO.
sounds sick bruh