Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

Phastek Performance

Old 07-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Kirewark

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8
Where to go for Secondary Cat Delete

Live in the Austin area. Not having any luck with local shops, gotten some pissy responses from the well rated ones in my area. Had a really highly rated shop basically tell me they weren't interesting in doing ANY custom exhaust work for me after asking about the cats. I know it's technically a legal issue but it's not like I'm going to pay a shop to do work for me then turn around and rat them out. Who does that.

I had a recommendation from someone but am afraid to call them up, they're my last hope! There are a TON of youtube videos and posts around this and other forums from people who went and had it done, seems to be pretty easy and openly known as a good and cheap option on our cars, but I'm getting shot down everywhere.

Anyone who got their secondary cats deleted: Can you throw me a PM and let me know where?

EDIT: I'd also be interested in recommendations for getting custom exhaust work done - Especially at shops that might be capable enough to maintain the NPP system. I don't want to pay $1,400 for a Borla or Stainless Works axleback...
Kirewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114141538989

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
The local shop that did my 2017 3 years ago won't consider it now. The previous owner passed away and now they're doing everything by the book. I'll handle it with catted longtubes.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:02 AM   #4
ZeroZeta

Drives: 18 Camaro SS
Had the same issue Kirewark.

It has been a few years (and a different car) since my last exhaust upgrade and I guess i didn't keep up with carb/emissions law. I contacted several performance shops in town and they all balked.

The first words out of your mouth should be "I would like to have exhaust work done on my TRACK car."

If you jump right in and say the words cat (doesn't matter if primary or secondary) and delete they will probably say no immediately.

This is for any performance shop.

Short of doing that your best option is a kinda-shady muffler shop that wants you to pay in cash.

I also got put in touch with a guy that does custom exhaust work but does old school really high end stuff. Would likely be more than buying a new exhaust outright but pm me if you want the info and I can also give a reco for another shop in town - the only one I didn't try yet.

I solved my issue by grabbing one of the last few sets of the AWE secondary cat delete pipes from RDP store - but again I was shopping for an exhaust any way.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
Joshy87

Drives: 2016 camaro ss sold dec 2020
183 muffler shop in lockhart did mine 2 yrs ago they usually do custom work
Joshy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
Kirewark

Thanks for the replies guys. For the time being I've given up the dream but I will check out some shops ya'll have brought to my attention! In the meantime I did a ported throttle body and an intake on my car, looking at wheels and tires next.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
Omar69845

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirewark View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. For the time being I've given up the dream but I will check out some shops ya'll have brought to my attention! In the meantime I did a ported throttle body and an intake on my car, looking at wheels and tires next.
Did you ever find a shop that would do it?
Omar69845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
Kirewark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar69845 View Post
Did you ever find a shop that would do it?
Unfortunately, no. But - I did not totally exhaust my options. It's pretty clear to me now that I need to show up in person with my car and a pocket full of cash to get it done right then. Calling and emailing was the wrong way to go about it.

I figure one of these days when I've got a lot of time to kill, I will hit up an ATM and then try that approach at the couple of shops I have in mind to try it at.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #9
Omar69845

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. But - I did not totally exhaust my options. It's pretty clear to me now that I need to show up in person with my car and a pocket full of cash to get it done right then. Calling and emailing was the wrong way to go about it.

I figure one of these days when I've got a lot of time to kill, I will hit up an ATM and then try that approach at the couple of shops I have in mind to try it at.
If you do find a shop please let me know, i also have been looking but can’t seem to find a shop but then again i also have been calling instead of showing up.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
ZeroZeta

Drives: 18 Camaro SS
I ended up getting the awe exhaust with link pipes - Was pretty much the only option at this point since I don't think Corsa and other vendors sell midpipes that remove the secondaries any more.

Did my own install since I don't think a shop would even touch anything that changes emissions. Starting to feel like TX is Cali now lol.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
Omar69845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroZeta View Post
I ended up getting the awe exhaust with link pipes - Was pretty much the only option at this point since I don't think Corsa and other vendors sell midpipes that remove the secondaries any more.

Did my own install since I don't think a shop would even touch anything that changes emissions. Starting to feel like TX is Cali now lol.
They only work on x pipe don't they or do they fit on factory pipes?
Old 12-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
Kirewark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroZeta View Post

How was the self-install? I have a jack and jack stands but would prefer to use my Race Ramps if possible. I have been thinking I could pull off an axle-back install with the Ramps but wasn't sure if there's enough room to do something further back.

Driving in TX is a new experience for me, I never had to do annual inspections on my cars before I moved down here. I really want to maintain the stock NPP system now so that I can keep the car in Stealth or Touring when inspection time comes - I don't even want to risk giving the inspector a reason to fail my car.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #13
Kirewark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
we still have some of the awe performance link pipes left
https://www.rdpstore.com/p-12758-awe...010-11096.aspx
Are these able to be self-installed?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
Omar69845

Quote:
How was the self-install? I have a jack and jack stands but would prefer to use my Race Ramps if possible. I have been thinking I could pull off an axle-back install with the Ramps but wasn't sure if there's enough room to do something further back.

Driving in TX is a new experience for me, I never had to do annual inspections on my cars before I moved down here. I really want to maintain the stock NPP system now so that I can keep the car in Stealth or Touring when inspection time comes - I don't even want to risk giving the inspector a reason to fail my car.
You can definitely install the axleback on jack stands, i installed my awe touring axleback on jack stands.