Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
kodiakk

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Bug guts etching clear coat

Hey folks, I have looked and watched hours of stuff and am not seeing the answer. I wash my car every 2 days and full detail every Saturday, but I am seeing bug splatter in my clear coat and as yet have not been able to get it off. I live in a small town a long way from anywhere and want something I can easily get. This is the place for the answer I am sure. I know you guys are seeing the same and know how to deal with this. Please help. Thanks in advance.
kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Poorboys bug squash at autogeek. Melts bugs........once clean, polish with a med speed orbital, med foam pad and meguires 205. Then apply carpro cquartzuk or other ceramic coating. Maintain with carpro reload every 120 days.

Or...

Take it to an authorized XPEL installer and film the front of the car.

Last edited by Glen e; 05-20-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakk View Post
I wash my car every 2 days...
Do you apply any wax or finish or just clean down to the clearcoat? I'm no expert, but I find a coat of car finish helps bug cleanup.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
kodiakk

Thanks Glen, I was hoping for something a little less invasive and expensive. I am on a strict tight budget and didn't want to have to spend that much money. I guess I have no choice. I have tried a plethora of options hand wise and no luck so.... 17rsvert, I apply A resin glaze after every 10 full details. recommended by my dealers detail team. looks nice and gives a hard coating. doesn't seem to matter to the bugs tho. must be super soft clear coat on the Camaros as I have never had any trouble on my trucks.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Thanks Glen, I was hoping for something a little less invasive and expensive. I am on a strict tight budget and didn't want to have to spend that much money. I guess I have no choice. I have tried a plethora of options hand wise and no luck so.... 17rsvert, I apply A resin glaze after every 10 full details. recommended by my dealers detail team. looks nice and gives a hard coating. doesn't seem to matter to the bugs tho. must be super soft clear coat on the Camaros as I have never had any trouble on my trucks.
I'm guessing you have already tried claying?

If so, the next step would be polishing. And as Glen said, a nice ceramic coating or XPEL will help from them sticking as bad
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Soak them with a good detail spray or Rinseless wash. I’m loving the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash. It makes an amazing detailer thats super slick. If I did drive the ZL1 that day I’ll spray down the front end to get off any bugs and dirt that have built up. Helps keep the car slick so they don’t stick and give a great gloss to the paint.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #7
kodiakk

timmy8784 I have not tried claybar yet. I am going to try a scratch remover polish and then go from there. I am thinking about claybar but not sure on procedures and if I should go that route yet. Wondering if it will work. This is driving me insane. Keep the suggestions coming fellas. I need all the help this forum can provide. every thing I have watched is on getting actual bugs off the car. There is no bugs just the etching in the clearcoat.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
timmy8784 I have not tried claybar yet. I am going to try a scratch remover polish and then go from there. I am thinking about claybar but not sure on procedures and if I should go that route yet. Wondering if it will work. This is driving me insane. Keep the suggestions coming fellas. I need all the help this forum can provide. every thing I have watched is on getting actual bugs off the car. There is no bugs just the etching in the clearcoat.
Start with a claybar. It's possible that what you think is etching is still something on the surface. If it is etching, you will need professional service. Wet sanding and polishing will be required if it is already etched.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
kodiakk

Well Im happy to say that I got them off. I washed, dried, claybarred, used a cutting compound, then a polish, and then a wax. 98 % perfect. Im sorry Glen, I didn't want to use a machine so I did it all by hand. Lot of work but got it. I know a Polisher will do a better job but not yet. I use AC Delco Jet Glaze normally but not this time. Just wanted to see the base results. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Your washing TOO much, I know it sounds silly but its true.
You said 2x and then Saturdays, so 3 times a week.
You need a sacrificial layer..... dirt kinda helps. LOL
Don't want you to break the bank.
Just wash and use RELOAD every week. That might make life easier for you.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
kodiakk

bobby35ny I know I wash a lot but I insist on my car being as clean as possible. I live in northern Canada and we see a plethora of crap on the roads so getting it off is critical. I have all the goodies at the shop where I work including pressure washers so the cost is not a factor, just my time. And as long as I get the results I am very happy.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
bobby35ny I know I wash a lot but I insist on my car being as clean as possible. I live in northern Canada and we see a plethora of crap on the roads so getting it off is critical. I have all the goodies at the shop where I work including pressure washers so the cost is not a factor, just my time. And as long as I get the results I am very happy.
Nevertheless as Bobby says you are washing too much. You will wash micro scratches into that car no matter how much you try, with good tools, if you're washing that much. Once a week is all you need to do if you have a good sealant/protectant on the car. The less you touch your paint, the longer it's gonna last.

If you're going to trade this car in two or three years, ignore my advice, it won't matter, it'll look good until you trade it.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Getting bug guts off ASAP is the key to stop etching.

Bugs have acidic secretions when splattered against your paint. If left on the surface, and allowed to heat in the sun, the acid can etch into the paint. People who live in Florida and Texas know all too well about this from the lovebugs.

You need protection on your paint as well that is highly resistant to acidic things. I've tried many different sealants. Carpro Reload topped with Carpro Hydrofoam hasn't failed me yet.

Bird bombs and bug splatter are removed easily after putting the car in the shade, allowing the paint to cool, and soaking/blotting them up with a good long knap microfiber towel. I like the Rag Company Everest 1100, but any good quality long knap microfiber will do.

Don't rub or use pressure, just blot after they are softened.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497142

If your car is covered with bug splatter, the one at a time blotting method takes too long, instead use an APC or the Poorboys, allowing it to soften the bug splatter, but not allowing it to dry on the surface.

Reapply protection afterwards.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
kodiakk

Okay, here it is. The dealer where I purchased my car had driven the car for about 350 km. They then used a substance to cover up the bugs as opposed to getting them off. as you can no doubt tell, I like so many of us am very particular about my car. For the record, there has never been a bug on my car for more than 20 minutes since I have owned it. It was only after several washes and detailings that I was able to remove the product that they used to hide the etchings, and upon said discovery I began my journey to getting them off/out. As I stated I was able to do so with much elbow grease. My new problem is after full paint correction which I did in my shop. I applied a synthetic wax and then when I drove out into the sunlight, I have a very blotchy result from the polish under the wax. Freakin me out a little bit I will say. I am now in the process of trying to get my wax coat off and then hopefully I can then repolish or something to get the blotchiness out and give it that gorgeous shine I am after. I am learning as I go and all your advice is really helping guys so keep it coming, Please. So far I have done all by hand as I have no experience with power polishers and they spook me a little. once I have fixed my shine issue, I will rewax and apply sealer. Any ideas I will gladly take.