Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 12-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Anybody from CA purchase their ZL1 out of state?

There are not many 2013 ZL1s available which have the options I want so I am now beginning to look outside of California. Does anybody have any experience with registering a non-california emissions compliant NEW car in California.

The CA DMV site states that you cannot do this. I am sure people have. Wondering what it takes to get it done? Any info with any first hand experience would be appreciated.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
ScooterZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Hello, yes all you need to make sure is that the ZL1 has FE9 federal emissions. With that it's 50 states emissions. With that you can register in California. I have done this buying out of Texas. Also my friend bought his in Michigan and registered in the SF Bay Area.

Hope that helps

Dan
ScooterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post
There are not many 2013 ZL1s available which have the options I want so I am now beginning to look outside of California. Does anybody have any experience with registering a non-california emissions compliant NEW car in California.

The CA DMV site states that you cannot do this. I am sure people have. Wondering what it takes to get it done? Any info with any first hand experience would be appreciated.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm
You mention "NEW".....

I am sure I am mis understanding your question. All new ZL1's are 50 state compliant. They all come with the same emission equipment. Only a modifed after factory car could be non CA compliant.

If you want one with the options that dont comply in CA, you could modify a new one and still have the same register issues once you tag it in CA. Sorry, I know I am not understanding something.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
You mention "NEW".....

I am sure I am mis understanding your question. All new ZL1's are 50 state compliant. They all come with the same emission equipment. Only a modifed after factory car could be non CA compliant.

If you want one with the options that dont comply in CA, you could modify a new one and still have the same register issues once you tag it in CA. Sorry, I know I am not understanding something.
Unfortunately you are mistaken. I purchased my vehicle from out of state. At the time of ordering, the salesperson told me that i have to order it with the YF5 code for 50 state emissions. RPO FE9 provides the federal 50 state emissions sticker and RPO YF5 provides the California emissions sticker. The sticker is mounted on the underside of the hood on the driver's side.

Once I received my car, I had to go get a smog check prior to going to the DMV to register. Trust me, get the smog prior to going to the DMV. You'll thank me later for not having to stand in these long DMV lines twice like i had to.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
I got mine from outside of California but I ordered it, so it came with YF5. I believe there are heavy penalties for shipping a non-compliant NEW car into the state. If it were me, I'd just keep looking within the state. There's a beautiful new '13 AGM with 10-spokes and ECF insert at a dealership near me right now.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
ScooterZL1

As, stated here from the GM doc All Camaros are 50 state compliant. unless it has the * like the document says its 50 state legal thus what it says on california website. discussion is now complete with the proof.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
mylftft

Drives: 2013 TT ZL1
I've done it twice now, with an SS & a ZL1. Like was just said, every single ZL1 that has ever been made is 50 state compliant. You have to get it smogged & pay California their ridiculous taxes, not that big of a deal.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
This is a interesting thread , I live in so cal and will ordering my 2015 ZL1 as soon as I can and this information is helpful.
Thanks
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Drm2Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlemsBumble View Post
I got mine from outside of California but I ordered it, so it came with YF5. I believe there are heavy penalties for shipping a non-compliant NEW car into the state. If it were me, I'd just keep looking within the state. There's a beautiful new '13 AGM with 10-spokes and ECF insert at a dealership near me right now.
Yeah...talked to them. They want $1100 more than the dealer down here and will not budge...so i'm not going to make the trek up there.

I still can not believe how many dealers ordered cars with the ugly silver rims! And some with no carbon fiber hood scoops....my two MUST haves!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
ScooterZL1

Quote:
Yeah...talked to them. They want $1100 more than the dealer down here and will not budge...so i'm not going to make the trek up there.

I still can not believe how many dealers ordered cars with the ugly silver rims! And some with no carbon fiber hood scoops....my two MUST haves!
Fremont Chevrolet has a 2013 ZL1 stick black with black wheels. It has the painted hood insert. You can have them order the insert and changed that. Deal done.

This is a heck of a deal new for 53K

http://www.chevroletoffremont.com/in...&id=2007589743

Last edited by ScooterZL1; 12-26-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
Quote:

If you're talking about Sequoia Chevy I'm surprised they're not willing to work out a deal. I bought my '10 SS from them and they were great to work with. They've had this ZL1 at least 5 months. I've seen this car personally and it's a beauty. Hope you find your car.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Drm2Reality

Yeah. Sequoia Chevy. Seem nice on the phone but priced way too high. Bought another car last night same thing minus the carbon hood for 3k less. Kinda bummed about that but couldn't pass the deal up.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
OC ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 AGM
I was originally going to order my ZL1 from Kansas, as I had a connection for a car at MSRP (last year). Any dealer can spec a car with CA emissions. I believe there is no difference in the build other than the order code. If I remember right, it was a no cost to order. If you have that, then you will not need to smog the car. You will have to pay the sales tax in CA. The Kansas dealer was not going to include sales tax, so it would not double dip. Even if you paid a lower sales tax in another state, CA wants their cut.

This can be done if a dealer is ordering you a new build. Buying from dealer stock will put you in a position like those said above. I'd be careful and check with the CA DMV before you purchase.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
KWIK ZL1

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Buying Camaro ZL1 Out of State

As stated by previous poster all Camaros are 50 state emissions compliant. Have bought two out of state one in Indiana another in Washington. Both had California emissions but you still need to smog the car. Because it was purchased out of state. If the dealer charges sales tax and its more here you pay the difference. Just have the dealer verify yf5 option code . I'm sure you can purchase one out of California cheaper and buy a plane ticket to go get it.
KWIK ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote