Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Old 05-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #59
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post

First of all congrats on owning the King of all Camaros

Can you post a quick comparison / review of the Z51 Vs. the SS 1LE you first had?
And then a few words on the new ZL1-1LE (I know, still new for you, but still first impressions compared to the other 2)

THANKS man, I really REALLY like these cars! Happy to give my thoughts but before I do, please know that I have always been a Corvette guy (I've owned 6 of them lol) and so I am naturally a little biased. That being said the 6th Gen Camaro has really changed my opinion!

C7 Stingray (non Z51): I bought this car from a friend and I really loved it. The biggest problem with the non-Z51 Stingray is that it has poor gearing, cooling, and is far too soft of a ride (does not even have a rear sway bar!). The car looked killer, but always felt a little slow to me. I eventually sold it

SS 1LE: This car is the absolute sweet spot for the money. You simply cannot buy a better car for $40k-ish! I drove this car for a year and would say that from a handling standpoint, it crushed the Stingray. It did still feel a little slow (about the same as the non-Z51 stingray) to me. Not that it is in anyway SLOW, it was just that I've owned faster and was wanting a little more especially since the chassis could clearly handle it!

Z51 Stingray: The entire time I owned the non-Z51, I wanted a Z51 (something about grass being green or something). When a local dealer had one at a great price (and offered me an amazing trade on the SS 1LE), I jumped. That car was/is amazing. The gearing in the Z51 is so much better than the regular Stingray that it feels like it has 100 more hp. This car was fully loaded, had mag-ride, 2LT, and all I wanted. If I am honest, the Camaro feels like a newer generation car than the C7. Handling and overall feel is just a bit newer feeling to me. The Z51 is a bit twitchy, and while it was a perfect car that I would've been happy keeping, it does NOT have an LT4.

ZL1 1LE: Well, 650hp and the fully upgraded interior. This car is the beast I've been waiting for. It is amazing, perfect, awesome, insane, ridiculous, and all other things childish boys in men's bodies want in a car. The suspension is perfect (and I fully intend to daily it), the brakes are amazing (yes, I will put the Z26 pads in for the road haha), and the acceleration is insane. I cannot imagine a better car than this, and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands right now. It is crazy. I can't really compare it to the SS 1LE because I think the regular ZL1 is a better comparison (closer in chassis setup, etc). When I was 5 I collected matchbox cars and they were all race cars. This one is a full sized version.

Pics in order (C7, SS 1LE, Z51, ZL1 1LE):
Attached Images

Last edited by devnull; 06-07-2019 at 11:44 AM.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #60
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Thanks Devnull for the informative write-up. Actually, truth to be told, my "dream" car is a C7 GS, but circumstances and practicality (needing rear seats) shifted me to the Camaro. I understand your comment about the LT1 engine feeling slow. Even comparing to my 450 WHP Audi TT, 1.8 L. , that used to be my project / "fun car" until I got the Camaro - The Camaro feels slow (despite the much higher Torque) - mainly because of its weight. I guess that the only way to make the Camaro feel fast, is to turn the LT1 into an LT4...which is not such a huge task and not so pricey either.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #61
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Thanks Devnull for the informative write-up. Actually, truth to be told, my "dream" car is a C7 GS, but circumstances and practicality (needing rear seats) shifted me to the Camaro. I understand your comment about the LT1 engine feeling slow. Even comparing to my 450 WHP Audi TT, 1.8 L. , that used to be my project / "fun car" until I got the Camaro - The Camaro feels slow (despite the much higher Torque) - mainly because of its weight. I guess that the only way to make the Camaro feel fast, is to turn the LT1 into an LT4...which is not such a huge task and not so pricey either.
I think a 4.10 rear would make all the difference in the world on a Stingray or SS Camaro! The Z51 did feel fast.

It's not that the LT1 cars felt sloooow, they just didn't make my face hurt, and I expect facial pain in order for complete happiness!

The Grand Sport is an amazing car, I put that up with my ZL1 as far as my own personal rating... You put a few upgrades on a GS (cam, heads, headers, intake) and you have yourself a BEAST!

Thanks bud...
Old 05-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #62
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
You haven't seen dust until you try the Track day pads, but wow do they stop quick! Track test coming soon.
No kidding, I'm using the track days for daily driver duty duty right now (as well as track) and almost regret it lol. I will never complain about "factory" brembo dust again.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #63
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
Changed brakes for the first time, ever. This thread was very helpful, thanks! I struggled with understanding how to push the pistons back in. I eventually bought a tool. I put the pads back in and usd the tool to push the pads. I was slow this time, but, I'll be faster next time. It seemed like there were two different rear pads. The first two pads that I tried to instal were the same and one just wouldn't go in deep enough on the inboard side, I pulled out one of the two remaining pads and it went in fine. I think that ut board pads have squealers and the inboard ones don't.
Attached Images

BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #64
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Holy brake dust Batman!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #65
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Changed brake PADS, not brakes.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #66
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Anyone have experience with the Z26 pads on track?
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #67
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
Anyone have experience with the Z26 pads on track?
Short answer is don't do it. They will not hold up to track type duty. Z26 pads are perfect street (even in aggressive use), but will not be great on the track.

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #68
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
I think that ut board pads have squealers and the inboard ones don't.
This exactly...

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 06-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #69
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
This was very helpful, I swapped all my pads today and finally swapped off the all seasons for my new PS4S! No issues other than my caliper coating being softer than butter, it chips at the slightest touch.

Two questions, is it normal to have a small amount of play in the bottom front pins? And should the rear pins sit flush or slightly less than?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #70
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
What are 5k-6k mile used (street use only) pads worth? I swapped to the Z26 and have the OE set to sell.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote