Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #85
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Yet the SCCA allows ECM/TCM tuning in Sport class for Time Trials. Yeah they don't make a lick of sense.
SCCA TT "Sport" > SCCA Solo "Street"
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #86
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Ordered a set of 660's yesterday. 275F and 305R, looking forward to trying them out. Sadly we don't start our autocross season until the first weekend of May :(
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #87
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Absolutely, Solo Street is just stupid restrictive, at least TT allows some common minor mods in its "stock" class. I honestly don't understand how car enthusiasts can keep their cars stock. You can't convince me that a single Camaro owner out there wouldn't 100% rather have a CAM prepped car (or slightly modded that forces them to CAM) to enjoy at all times vs. keeping their car stock just because the SCCA forces them to.

Back to the engine/trans tuning thing though. On an NA manual car it's not a big deal, however when you allow tuning on boosted autos it's a huge difference and they can still run the "stock" class. Their rule systems are just flawed all over the place.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #88
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I got the elsd tune and ZLE cradle bushings for this year. I think that should make for a nice improvement in feel and hopefully grip and turn-in too!

Still not sure on tires, I may just save the cash and use the OEM S3s again, I'm investing a ton into my business right now, that's gotta have priority over a new set of wheels and tires.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #89
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Absolutely, Solo Street is just stupid restrictive, at least TT allows some common minor mods in its "stock" class. I honestly don't understand how car enthusiasts can keep their cars stock. You can't convince me that a single Camaro owner out there wouldn't 100% rather have a CAM prepped car (or slightly modded that forces them to CAM) to enjoy at all times vs. keeping their car stock just because the SCCA forces them to.
Agreed, IMO the elsd tune will make a major difference, the car will be more fun to drive... personally, I don't understand wanting to stay in BS vs CAM and having to stay with stock width wheels too, but I don't care much about results, AFAIK nobody is going to pay me no matter how well I do.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #90
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Back to the engine/trans tuning thing though. On an NA manual car it's not a big deal, however when you allow tuning on boosted autos it's a huge difference and they can still run the "stock" class. Their rule systems are just flawed all over the place.

Can confirm with boosted cars tuning makes a massive difference. In my old Focus ST I did just a tune, and with e30 it gained something like 70-80 lbft of torque.

There also isn't a great way for them to test if the car has been tuned should someone protest it. It's fairly easy for someone who knows the car well to tell if it's tuned on a turbo car or an auto, but an NA manual could be pretty difficult to detect the difference just by driving it.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #91
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I've got a set of the 660s going on my recently purchased Miata Thursday. They're replacing some 7 year old all seasons, so I won't be able to judge very well how they compare to other 200 tw tires. I'll still get in a couple of autox with it and hopefully track days in the latter half of the year once I get a roll cage and seats in it.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:37 PM   #92
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Just for the record, I'd be happy to have several of the mods that CAM-C allows. But the three reasons I'm resisting that so far are:
  1. Budget: that shit costs money!
  2. Streetability: this car is my daily driver and I don't want to make it less useful for that.
  3. Warranty: my car is only a year old, and so maybe two years from now that won't be a deterrent anymore.

Those three things overlay on my desire to be at least somewhat competitive. I'm under no illusions that I'm going to win a national championship, but I don't want to be completely outgunned either. So I want to avoid half-measures. In this same vein, it's worth noting that CAM still isn't an "official" class at the national level, but honestly I'm not sure I care about that since they still get to compete in all the national-level events.

Anyway, I fully understand the reasons for the restrictions in Street classes. There's not a perfect solution that will cover everyone's preferences and circumstances, but they actually have allowed a few small mods over the years that help without busting budgets.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #93
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Just for the record, I'd be happy to have several of the mods that CAM-C allows. But the three reasons I'm resisting that so far are:
  1. Budget: that shit costs money!
  2. Streetability: this car is my daily driver and I don't want to make it less useful for that.
  3. Warranty: my car is only a year old, and so maybe two years from now that won't be a deterrent anymore.

Those three things overlay on my desire to be at least somewhat competitive. I'm under no illusions that I'm going to win a national championship, but I don't want to be completely outgunned either. So I want to avoid half-measures. In this same vein, it's worth noting that CAM still isn't an "official" class at the national level, but honestly I'm not sure I care about that since they still get to compete in all the national-level events.

Anyway, I fully understand the reasons for the restrictions in Street classes. There's not a perfect solution that will cover everyone's preferences and circumstances, but they actually have allowed a few small mods over the years that help without busting budgets.

Completely understandable. I went CAM not because of AutoX, but I really wanted to make a couple of targeted changes for HPDE.

I ported my IM and TB, tuned for FlexFuel, tuned eLSD and installed the rear cradle bushings. I have no illusions about being competitive Nationally.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #94
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
except for the rules in TT being written so you can only use parts tire rack offers. Think solo is restrictive.. just wait.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)

Last edited by apexit53; 03-03-2021 at 10:28 AM.
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #95
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
except for the rules in TT being written so you can only use parts tire rack offers. Think solo is restrictive.. just wait.
I think that is a very weak point, my friend, especially considering everything else about the TT classing, especially "Sport"...

If you speak to the TT leaders about a part and have a solid case, they are VERY OPEN and responsive to revising something of the sort in the rules or giving you an OK. Solo is typically very resistant to changes and allowances. Always has been, especially with "Street".
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #96
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
I think that is a very weak point, my friend, especially considering everything else about the TT classing, especially "Sport"...

If you speak to the TT leaders about a part and have a solid case, they are VERY OPEN and responsive to revising something of the sort in the rules or giving you an OK. Solo is typically very resistant to changes and allowances. Always has been, especially with "Street".
to each their own. do what you want i could care less. ill be here enjoying my sport one way or another and let others complain about it. gets tiring
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #97
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
CANT WAIT TO TRY MINE!

Though i am goin a different setup than everyone.
Do tell!
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #98
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishir View Post
Ordered a Set but they won't be available through tire rack until April. I plan to defend my National Championship in the Optimal Drive Auto-X series and compete at UMI's King of the Mountain with them.
See you at UMI! We had a great battle. Should be crazy this year with those 2 guys running that GT350.

I got mine a month ago, 315/30/19.

Just ordered a tire machine and balancer. I figure it will pay for itself in a few years.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote