Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


Wildhammer Motorsports


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
TheShooter
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 173
I'm buying a ZL1-1LE, but....

The ZL1 is the first car to turn my head since buying my Hellcat Charger.

But!

I'm always surprised at how car companies rarely see the bigger picture for better sales.

When I went to look at a new Lambo Hurican and found that I'm too tall for it, the manager said it was the number #1 reason for losing sales. He also said that the complaints about that had been going on for years, but the company wasn't bright enough to design a cockpit like Porsche does. No Lambo for me!

So lest you think I'm some sort of class warrior, I've got complaints for these goofy car companies with their strange packages and inability to offer a car a certain way.

Enter the ZL1-1LE and ZL1

1) No A10 tranny.
After talking with two dealers, I now know that my opinion of this goofery is shared by many. There are a TON of reasons why the 1LE should allow an A10 option and really NO reason to leave it off. 14 lbs is NOT enough of a weight savings. Virtually everyone I speak to wishes they could have the A10, at least as an option.

2) ZL1 has no options for aero package.
Huh? Why not? The aero package would be useful on a regular ZL1 via downforce. Those interested in having a slightly faster car could skip it. Others might prefer the looks of the aero package. Adding the aero to a ZL1 looks to be a PIA and expensive.

3) Back seats.
A few tweaks could have made better back seats. I spoke with a fellow at Chevy who said the failure to create more room with a better seat design had to do with COSTS. Oh boy. I would have happily paid more.

4) Steering wheel.
It's awful. Was something wrong with leather? The wheel feels like a frozen plush toy and it will absorb oil from hands fast.

So...waiting out the holidays and hoping these guys tweak things and offer a bit more versatility in the packages.


R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP
God - Family - Country
 
Can'tHave2MuchHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10 Coupe in White
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,814
Well okay then.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
1295/SS
 
1295/SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS, NGM A8 87 Turbo T
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 135
Thanks.
__________________
1295/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
WhyUMad1LE

 
Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,620
Found a pic of OP:


WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
FringBirdAloha
 
Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sunbelt
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
The ZL1 is the first car to turn my head since buying my Hellcat Charger.

But!

I'm always surprised at how car companies rarely see the bigger picture for better sales.

When I went to look at a new Lambo Hurican and found that I'm too tall for it, the manager said it was the number #1 reason for losing sales. He also said that the complaints about that had been going on for years, but the company wasn't bright enough to design a cockpit like Porsche does. No Lambo for me!

So lest you think I'm some sort of class warrior, I've got complaints for these goofy car companies with their strange packages and inability to offer a car a certain way.

Enter the ZL1-1LE and ZL1

1) No A10 tranny.
After talking with two dealers, I now know that my opinion of this goofery is shared by many. There are a TON of reasons why the 1LE should allow an A10 option and really NO reason to leave it off. 14 lbs is NOT enough of a weight savings. Virtually everyone I speak to wishes they could have the A10, at least as an option.

2) ZL1 has no options for aero package.
Huh? Why not? The aero package would be useful on a regular ZL1 via downforce. Those interested in having a slightly faster car could skip it. Others might prefer the looks of the aero package. Adding the aero to a ZL1 looks to be a PIA and expensive.

3) Back seats.
A few tweaks could have made better back seats. I spoke with a fellow at Chevy who said the failure to create more room with a better seat design had to do with COSTS. Oh boy. I would have happily paid more.

4) Steering wheel.
It's awful. Was something wrong with leather? The wheel feels like a frozen plush toy and it will absorb oil from hands fast.

So...waiting out the holidays and hoping these guys tweak things and offer a bit more versatility in the packages.


R.
1. A10: great auto but heat soaks bad after 3-4 goes around the track and needs cool down laps. Doesn’t belong in an extreme track package ZL1 1LE.

2. Agreed. Aero should be offered as package to non ZL1 1LE owners.

3. Shouldn’t have back seats at all.

4. Had a leather wheel in my 16 2SS. Suede in ZL1 feels amazing and high end. Wear driving gloves if you’re worried but doesn’t seem to absorb oils.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #6
TheShooter
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 173
I did yell at some clouds today!

I'm 54 and not quite officially old yet, but I have no clue as to why I can't have Chevy build me a car the way I want it.

ZL1 1LE
A10 Tranny
Red Hot
No Black hood
Black stripe (including hood)
Proper leather wrapped wheel
Red seat belts
Aero Package (of course)

I'm going to talk to the folks at Chevy about this directly. Nothing to lose in asking, right?

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
TheShooter
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 173
Hmmm...did not know about the heat soak on the A10.

So if I'm driving hard on a twisty back road for 30 minutes, what exactly happens to the tranny?

I've driven the Charger Hellcat like a madman on back roads and never detected any loss of performance with the A8.

More info?

Thanks!


R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Mr. Meh

 
Drives: Sold
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 775
I've not had a single issue with my A10 heat soaking and ran 6, 20m sessions at Autobahn CC. Left in auto mode and running 2:54 laps.

3.56mi and fairly technical track. So it doesn't stay up in speed for very long periods of triple digits to get a ton of cooling flow.

I would be surprised if you could overheat the trans on a public back road in that time unless you were just sitting in traffic and lot moving a lot. Just too many variables to account for that would prevent you from running that constantly without slowing, stopping of having to back off.

Contrary to the anti auto naysayers, it's a great transmission. Like anything man made, it's not perfect, but it's hardly an instant overheat like some like to claim.

Last edited by Mr. Meh; 08-14-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,791
The history behind the 1LE package has always been accompanied with a manual gearbox.
The steering wheel affords better grip than a standard leather wheel. I have the same style wheel on my car and it cleans easily with
just a damp cloth.
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.
ARH 1 7/8 headers, CAI, BMR 1.25 drop springs, JPSS Billet Bushings, Peddars Cradle Bushings...421 whp...so far.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #10
S.T.A.R.
 
Drives: 18'-1LE
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SHENANDOAH, PA
Posts: 383
Why on earth does Ford Mustang offer a backseat?
Why would Chevy Camaro offer a backseat? Why!
Who are these people who actually sit back there?
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
Infern0
Bring It
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Drives: In Between
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,927
Sounds like you need a regular ZL1 with aero....easy.

If you got money to burn (meaning you don't want to do this yourself) you can pay me to do it for you and deliver it personally. Let me know.
__________________

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #12
psalmon123
 
Drives: 2015 Z07 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Sounds like you need a regular ZL1 with aero....easy.

If you got money to burn (meaning you don't want to do this yourself) you can pay me to do it for you and deliver it personally. Let me know.
I agree. if Shooter wants a 1LE the way he wants it and has money to burn (It sounds like he does, he was looking at Lambos) simply buy a ZL1 and change out the parts. That's exactly what I'm doing. I wanted a ZL1 1LE A10 convert. I already have most of the parts, wing comes tomorrow and calipers next week. I will post pictures when completed.
psalmon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: To many to list
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 15,089
You have what you want, it's called a ZL1, that's the base to start from, buy what you want in Aro parts and have at it, the ZL1 1LE comes only in an M6, here is why, if you add the A10 to this car you will get heat soak, it's only a matter of time, it's not the trans that heat soaks it's the motor, and the car goes in to limp mode, and your done for the day, look at all the ZO6 corvettes with the problums, get the regular ZL1 it's more what you want, this is a track car you can drive on the street, not a street car you can drive on the track.
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #14
Mr. Meh

 
Drives: Sold
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You have what you want, it's called a ZL1, that's the base to start from, buy what you want in Aro parts and have at it, the ZL1 1LE comes only in an M6, here is why, if you add the A10 to this car you will get heat soak, it's only a matter of time, it's not the trans that heat soaks it's the motor, and the car goes in to limp mode, and your done for the day, look at all the ZO6 corvettes with the problums, get the regular ZL1 it's more what you want, this is a track car you can drive on the street, not a street car you can drive on the track.
**citation needed. Actual facts, dates, times, names, configurations on the Camaro ZL1 platform. I've seen some incidents of trans wonkyness, but they're isolated and not anywhere near pervasive like the C7 Z06 A8s.

The simple fact the you compared heat soak on C7 Corvette with an A8 and small frontal area to an A10 Camaro with huge frontal area, more heat exchanging systems, etc. shows you're full of conjecture and speculation on the topic.

Last edited by Mr. Meh; 08-14-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.