#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 06-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Pads Per Rotor

Hello,

I realize this is a total your-mileage-may-vary type question but...

How many times can you change your brake pads before you have to replace your rotors?

I've got a ZL1 1LE used almost exclusively for track, the only street driving I do to speak of is going from home to the tracks. Occasionally for DD but mostly just track. Just wondering about how often I need to be replacing the rotors based on how many sets of pads I'm going through.

Thanks for any input or comments.

David
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
You shouldn't judge changing your rotor based on how many sets of pads you've gone through. You should inspect the rotors after every track day and judge the wear. Are they cracked, are they thinned to the point of needing replacement etc. Keep in mind it is common to misjudge heat checking for cracks.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
You shouldn't judge changing your rotor based on how many sets of pads you've gone through. You should inspect the rotors after every track day and judge the wear. Are they cracked, are they thinned to the point of needing replacement etc. Keep in mind it is common to misjudge heat checking for cracks.
Thanks for the reply and you are 100% correct, it would be unwise to base replacement on the number of pads. I'd always do it based on the actual condition of the rotors. I guess I was just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb that ZL1 rotors last for "X" number of pads, generally...

I'll tell you this, my 2014 ZL1, I brought to a dealer shortly after I got it and they told me I needed rotors with my first set of pads. They called out those little heat cracks as indication that the rotors were done. I fought them and eventually said if the rotors were already failed, it should be warranty. Took it to GM Customer relations. Eventually the dealer had someone else look at them and decide it was normal...lesson learned is, I don't know who to actually trust in this matter.
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
almost all dealers, brake shops etc will give you the BS line that if you are changing pads you need to change rotors. The average person really knows jack s**t about cars and they buy the line all the time.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote