Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-17-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
In search of coilover options

I know there’s a couple threads regarding coilovers but there’s only a couple options mentioned in those with barely any feed back. I currently have air suspension on my camaro and I’ve been thinking real hard about selling it and going with coilovers instead. I’ve done a little research and these are the company’s I’ve found that offer coilovers for camaros:

- BC Racing
- Megan Racing- feel like these would break in like a week
- Silver’s
- Kw- These are a bit expensive
- Riaction
- Renick Performance
- Bilstein

Is there any other companies that I’m missing? Just want to make sure I have all the options available to make a decision.

Also if I could get some feed back from anyone that’s running one of these on their camaro, I’d be very grateful. Just want to how they feel and quality. I know they’re going to be rougher than stock but I’m used to my bags now so that wouldn’t bother me.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Jdelgado92; 03-19-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Jdelgado92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Best advice on this is that you get what you pay for. A $1000 set of coilovers is unlikely to be good. The KWs might be decent - IIRC, they equipped some Viper ACRs from the factory with that brand. But their site says they are only for Camaros with "electronic dampers," which could mean the MR dampers or the DSSVs on the ZR1. Also, their page says "...dual level valves that allow for adjustment of the rebound dampening for your road comfort and the compression dampening that controls the driving dynamics." That is woefully inaccurate and does not inspire confidence.

None of these seem to say they use monotube shocks, which I'd consider a minimum requirement for really good shocks. So I don't know what to recommend.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/produ...97397462963191 Bilstein makes some also. I think these are new though so there really isn't any feedback about them.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
IDK what it is with this forum but this has to be the only forum where I see people talking down on KW coilovers. KW is a top notch brand when it comes to coilovers for people that do more street driving than track driving.

BC coilovers are hit and miss. I've heard and seen lots of good things about them. I've also heard bad things about them.

I would stay away from Megan racing as I've only heard horrible things and tends to be a clapped out Honda brand... ( I came from Honda's)

I have read that fortune auto is in the works for our cars. I don't think they are too far out as they have an ATSV coilover already as well.

Renick performance also has coilovers for our cars. https://www.renickperformance.com/co...oilover-system
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
are you looking for stance or for track use? if track use none of those would be a good option

mcs

jrz

moton

etc
Old 03-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
Not talking down on KW by any means, I’m sure they are exceptional , I just think they’re a bit expensive is all.
Thanks for the feed back and advice , I am also a firm believer of the “you get what you pay for” statement but I’ve come to realize that word of mouth is also crucial that’s why I try to get peoples feedback from their first hand experience with things to help me make decisions.
It would be mostly for stance as I don’t track my car at all at the moment And I don’t want to just go with springs. Also I got bags on right now and I don’t feel comfortable with them anymore, more of a safety thing than ride comfort.
I know for a fact I’m staying away from Megan’s but I’ll Leave them on the list for anyone else looking for options. I’ll add the other ones you guys mentioned too

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
If you just wanna lower your car buy the BC's they'll do you just fine
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

kw are great coilovers for street use and those would be my choice if i didnt track my car but not great for track use
Old 03-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
IDK what it is with this forum but this has to be the only forum where I see people talking down on KW coilovers. KW is a top notch brand when it comes to coilovers for people that do more street driving than track driving.
I didn't talk down on the product. I just said their web page about them is janky. You can't tell anything about the dampers in their product from the page, you can't tell what Camaros they actually fit, and they make it look like they have no idea how shock adjustments work. I'd want to know a lot more about them before I spent any money on them. And if it turns out they're twin-tube dampers, I wouldn't spend half their asking price on them. OTOH, they might be great products and they just need someone to build them a better web page. No way to know.

Quote:
Renick performance also has coilovers for our cars. https://www.renickperformance.com/co...oilover-system
Those and the Bilsteins are at least stated to be monotube dampers. That Renick page is a little goofy, too: they aren't "24-way" adjustable dampers, they are single-way-adjustable dampers with 24 detents. The Bilsteins are typically great quality with a good damper design, but they are not adjustable for damping rates, which is a real negative in my book. OTOH, if they are damped well for your use, then they'll be great.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Call Viking - the owner runs a ZL1 1LE in the Optima Series (autocross / road race) and is very competitive. Their setup is very good for the 6th gen
Old 03-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Call Viking - the owner runs a ZL1 1LE in the Optima Series (autocross / road race) and is very competitive. Their setup is very good for the 6th gen

those are going to be stupid expensive lol
Old 04-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
JC2SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS (Summit White)
I was looking hard on forums too about coilovers. I decided to go with Bilstein coilovers. The shop I went to recommend those over BC coilovers. I’m getting them installed tomorrow. So I guess I will bring back my experience with them later on.
JC2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

post up some photos of the actual coilover before you install them please you have no magride right?
Old 04-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #14
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
kw are great coilovers for street use and those would be my choice if i didnt track my car but not great for track use
Why are you saying KW aren't good for track use?
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote