Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
gtmead09

Drives: Camaro
LED Headlights

I need some help and joined this group because my head is spinning. I have a 2018 LT1 Camaro. I’m trying to find LED headlights to swap in. So far I can’t find a brand that is suggested. Anyone done this and have any suggestions?
gtmead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
JMZK2LT

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2lt 2016 Lincoln MKZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmead09 View Post
I need some help and joined this group because my head is spinning. I have a 2018 LT1 Camaro. I’m trying to find LED headlights to swap in. So far I can’t find a brand that is suggested. Anyone done this and have any suggestions?
go to ebay, they have an after market set with the LED brow for around 300 dollars.
JMZK2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I have wondered this myself, I have OEM LED on my 16 Sierra and love them. I wonder if it is possible to swap out the HID on the 1SS 1LE for some nice quality LED.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
TopCatGr

Drives: 2017 LS 3.6L HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmead09 View Post

Hey there,
I have an 2017 LS1 that came with those stock crappy Halogen powered HID projectors, and couldn't see the road! I tried several different LED's with CANBUS adapters, just left the back cover plate off, but they just weren't bright enough. I finally got some 55W H11 HID bulbs and had an old HID ballast system that I used. You can now find New 55W HID ballast sets with CANBUS plug and play using the OEM bulb plugs for powering the ballasts instead of having to wire extra power lines to the battery/harness.

But I can see the road now, the HID projectors were designed for HID bulbs, not friggin Halogens! Good Luck.

T.C.
TopCatGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr View Post
Hey there,
I have an 2017 LS1 that came with those stock crappy Halogen powered HID projectors, and couldn't see the road! I tried several different LED's with CANBUS adapters, just left the back cover plate off, but they just weren't bright enough. I finally got some 55W H11 HID bulbs and had an old HID ballast system that I used. You can now find New 55W HID ballast sets with CANBUS plug and play using the OEM bulb plugs for powering the ballasts instead of having to wire extra power lines to the battery/harness.

But I can see the road now, the HID projectors were designed for HID bulbs, not friggin Halogens! Good Luck.

T.C.
Im confused. Did you have HID or Halogen? No such thing as halogen powered HIDs. Way different between the two. High Intensity Discharge lamps use Xenon gas with a tungsten electrode powered by high voltage and are super bright bluish white light. Halogen bulbs are standard, yellowish old school lights with a standard 12 volt filament. Both HID and Halogen bulbs can use projector lenses. HIDs were the best you could get before LED headlights hit the streets.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr View Post
Hey there,

T.C.
Went through lots of trial and error with LEDs on my 2015 and 2018 Canyons that have halogen projector headlights. The LEDs lit up road signs really well but didn't have the hot spots for distance vision. HIDs made a real difference.

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Im confused. Did you have HID or Halogen? No such thing as halogen powered HIDs. Way different between the two. High Intensity Discharge lamps use Xenon gas with a tungsten electrode powered by high voltage and are super bright bluish white light. Halogen bulbs are standard, yellowish old school lights with a standard 12 volt filament. Both HID and Halogen bulbs can use projector lenses. HIDs were the best you could get before LED headlights hit the streets.
He had the factory halogen bulbs in projector housing. He swapped out to an HID bulb. He loves the results. He doesn't understand why halogen bulbs came factory in these cars.

I thought it was clear but eh

And I'm going to disagree on LEDs being better. I will take HIDs over LED, any day of the week and twice on sunday. They both have similar lumens, but the throw on HIDs is ridiculous compared to LEDs

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I am trying to figure out what a 2017 LS1 is... A 2018 LT1 would be an SS. The LS1 motor hasn't been used in years.

I am guessing the poster meant he had an LS camaro. So, I would guess either the V6 of the Turbo 4. But, I don't get the 1...
Old 02-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
He had the factory halogen bulbs in projector housing. He swapped out to an HID bulb. He loves the results. He doesn't understand why halogen bulbs came factory in these cars.

I thought it was clear but eh

And I'm going to disagree on LEDs being better. I will take HIDs over LED, any day of the week and twice on sunday. They both have similar lumens, but the throw on HIDs is ridiculous compared to LEDs
Not sure I agree with that.

Every car on the road I have seen with LED's make my HID's (with upgraded 5K bulbs) look like halogens.

LED's have a much brighter, whiter light as well as spreading out further to the sides and front.

If I am on the freeway next to the car with LED's, it almost looks like I have no lights on at all compared it.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #10
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
As far as which is better between HIDs or LEDs, i have to agree and disagree with a couple of you. ;-) it really depends on the application. I've driven cars with poor execution of LEDs and cars with superb LED execution. Some of the better applications use individual projectors for arrays of LEDs each projecting the light to unique focal points (straight ahead, slightly to the sides, etc.) (Accura, Honda Accord). Some of the poor applications use smaller clusters of LEDs housed behind a single projector lense (Toyota Corrola).

I guess they're still learning and improving the tech, but the better ones blow HIDs away for clarity, output, and range. The crappy ones are worse than halogen.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
As far as which is better between HIDs or LEDs, i have to agree and disagree with a couple of you. ;-) it really depends on the application. I've driven cars with poor execution of LEDs and cars with superb LED execution. Some of the better applications use individual projectors for arrays of LEDs each projecting the light to unique focal points (straight ahead, slightly to the sides, etc.) (Accura, Honda Accord). Some of the poor applications use smaller clusters of LEDs housed behind a single projector lense (Toyota Corrola).

I guess they're still learning and improving the tech, but the better ones blow HIDs away for clarity, output, and range. The crappy ones are worse than halogen.
That makes sense

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:18 AM   #12
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
May not contribute much but I think this is related somehow, here's my '16 non-RS with a picture taken a while back when it was stock halogen vs when I installed the RS headlights.

https://imgur.com/a/CiYd34A

It was at night with as much of the lighting the same, I have the dimming option so the headlight DRL's go to 50% at night which was in the photos.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #13
Neorift

Drives: 2018 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZK2LT View Post
go to ebay, they have an after market set with the LED brow for around 300 dollars.

I have seen these on eBay. I've been curious about trying them but never seen what they look like installed on a car so I'm hesitant.
Neorift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #14
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
LEDs are brighter but have less usable light on the frequency spectrum than xenon.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote