#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
The non-enthusiast vehicle buyer of today is not so hung up on "tradition" aka v8's. Look at the shift in F-150 sales breakdown between the EB's and the 5.0.

They look at vehicles as carrying cases for ever more "new" tech. Like big iPhones, they just want more "apps" stuffed into them then the last version. So adding something new while still offering the "old" stuff in limited forms to us, the enthusiasts, seems to be the best marketing angle.

This is also spoken to by looking at major players in performance halos moving to hybridization; 918, P1, and the Ferrari The Ferrari.

While our pony cars are definitely not on the level of these supercars, giving the owner the chance to read that their new car incorporates tech similar to them will be a key selling point.

Will this hybrid system,be as aggressive as their supercar counterparts? Most likely not. Will John Q. public know difference behind advertising spin? Most likely not.
Good point, I'm sure it will sell just fine to the public. But it will alienate a portion of buyers because of it being a hybrid (performance or not), and more buyers if they drop the V8. A hybrid model will not be ideal in the aftermarket, but thats obviously not their concern lol

I'm not sure if the F-150 would be a good comparison here. The V8 is a more expensive option than the 2.7L TTV6, while the 2.7L offers better fuel economy (on paper) and it offers more torque at a lower RPM than the V8. Plus, the base motor offers similar towing capacity. Another notch in this argument is the fact that a 3.5L Ecoboost engine is the top engine, so no one is going for the big V8 anymore when theres a more powerful option. In my mind, Ford is trying to drive the V8 out of their engine line up. If they weren't so deadset on it I think the Ford GT would have gotten the Voodoo (packaging restrictions aside). So why would you upgrade to an engine with less torque than both turbo options, 10 more HP than the base motor, tows less, and gets less fuel economy for $1k over the base motor? Ford makes it a really difficult argument.

It'll be interesting to see the outrage from journalists and magazines until they drive it. Then it'll be a total 180 once they drive it.

Edited because I read the wrong stuff lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 01-03-2017 at 06:19 PM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
The 2.7 has 60 less horsepower than 5.0. It has less torque, although it may have more at a lower RPM. 2.7 has a lower payload capacity. 2.7 has lower towing capability..

Not sure where you pulled your numbers from..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #17
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
This Al Oppenheiser quote from June 2015 Hot Rod speaks to the future. I suspect Chevy is already looking at it.

I remember that quote now, and I have no doubt that they have been looking into something along those lines for some time now. My post was more directed towards the naysayers here.

As for the aftermarket, do not worry companies will come up with plenty of performance parts for hybrids when the market is there.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Personally I could see cars of the SS/GT/RT class all going TTV6 with V8's only being for more limited trims.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
The 2.7 has 60 less horsepower than 5.0. It has less torque, although it may have more at a lower RPM. 2.7 has a lower payload capacity. 2.7 has lower towing capability..

Not sure where you pulled your numbers from..
Huh, I honestly have no clue what I searched or read about then. Must've clicked on an older article from the previous gen trucks.

Still think Ford is trying to remove the V8 from their options list.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 01-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #20
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Huh, I honestly have no clue what I searched or read about then. Must've clicked on an older article from the previous gen trucks.

Still think Ford is trying to remove the V8 from their options list.
Maybe thinking about the 3.5 EB?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #21
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
What about costs?

At minimum, I see this being at least a $5K option, and more likely a few grand higher than that, if not creeping towards $10K.

That buys you a lot of gas.

Assuming gas is at $2.50, and if the hybrid option is $6,000, that money could buy you 2,400 gallons of gas. Now lets say you average 18 mpg in your truck. That gets you nearly 44,000 miles before you start a return on your investment.

Not factoring any extra costs that might be there from plugging in your ride from time to time or nightly if you are really using the juice and not regenerating it enough each day.

Its not an easy sell in all cases, but that said, I still think its worth doing, and hopefully as time goes on the costs go down.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #22
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Maybe thinking about the 3.5 EB?
I was reading an article on the 3.5 vs 5.0, checked my work browsing history this morning lol Apparently I didn't read the title
Old 01-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #23
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i thought the honda CRV 2 seater was pretty cool until i found out it had an electric motor assist.if they had built it with an SI version,dual overhead cams,over 250 hp. and no electric motor i would probably be driving one.that technology would have to prove itself before i bought one.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Why does everyone seem to think that this is a move meant to appeal to buyers? Or to be economical for them? Its for CAFE, to improve fuel economy numbers. Same reason why they went with ecoboast in the first place. Same reason why everyone is doing the turbocharging + fewer cylinders and hybrids.

Add a 40 hp & 60 ft-lbs of torque to the 2.3 and you magically have 'V8 like power, with better low end torque'. Yes, thats playing a bit loose with what those words mean ... but this is also a marketing press release, so thats about all you can ever expect.

And don't be surprised to see a hybrid Camaro in the 7th gen either, assuming that GM doesn't do it to the late 6th gens first. In fact, I'd be more surprised if there were no hybird Camaros in the early 2020s than if there weren't.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #25
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Yeah... look at what Honda did w/ the new NSX... hybrid V6, amazing engine.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
LaFerarri

McLaren P1

Porsche 918

Acura NSX

BMW i8

All of the above are performance cars that utilize "light hybrid" technologies to enhance performance. Three of these cars are considered the "Holy Trinity" in terms of performance of all production cars, ever.

I think the Porsche has an emissions rating less than the 911 models, yet 870-some hp. Most of them are rated at around 50mpg or more.

Is this done to appease the "green" people in politics, and meet CAFE standards? Well, yeah probably....but bear in mind that F1 uses a light hybrid system (KERS) to store energy during braking for a torque boost in the next corner exit...the technology does have a raw performance benefit...

This is the future of automotive performance, folks. Brace for it. It's going to be utterly fantastic!
Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 AM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
LaFerarri

McLaren P1

Porsche 918

Acura NSX

BMW i8

All of the above are performance cars that utilize "light hybrid" technologies to enhance performance. Three of these cars are considered the "Holy Trinity" in terms of performance of all production cars, ever.

I think the Porsche has an emissions rating less than the 911 models, yet 870-some hp. Most of them are rated at around 50mpg or more.

Is this done to appease the "green" people in politics, and meet CAFE standards? Well, yeah probably....but bear in mind that F1 uses a light hybrid system (KERS) to store energy during braking for a torque boost in the next corner exit...the technology does have a raw performance benefit...

This is the future of automotive performance, folks. Brace for it. It's going to be utterly fantastic!
Has anyone ever told you that you can be obnoxiously optimistic at times?

If not, I am ... right now.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #28
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
What about costs?

At minimum, I see this being at least a $5K option, and more likely a few grand higher than that, if not creeping towards $10K.

That buys you a lot of gas.

Assuming gas is at $2.50, and if the hybrid option is $6,000, that money could buy you 2,400 gallons of gas. Now lets say you average 18 mpg in your truck. That gets you nearly 44,000 miles before you start a return on your investment.

Not factoring any extra costs that might be there from plugging in your ride from time to time or nightly if you are really using the juice and not regenerating it enough each day.

Its not an easy sell in all cases, but that said, I still think its worth doing, and hopefully as time goes on the costs go down.
Well just saying, the newest iteration of the GM eAssist mild hybrid system costs just $500 on Silverado/Sierra. There are factory assist steps available that cost more than that system.