#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #29
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Well just saying, the newest iteration of the GM eAssist mild hybrid system costs just $500 on Silverado/Sierra. There are factory assist steps available that cost more than that system.
That sounds really good. Honestly though I don't know what that gets you mpg wise.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #30
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Hybrid tech will make the cars nearly un-modable. There are only so many things you can do to an electric motor. One is more windings and magnets, or increase the voltage/current. All those will end up with some detriment to the system by adding weight, or shortening battery, and or electrical system life. If your a modder your going to hate hybrid tech. What you buy is what you get.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #31
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Hybrid tech will make the cars nearly un-modable. There are only so many things you can do to an electric motor. One is more windings and magnets, or increase the voltage/current. All those will end up with some detriment to the system by adding weight, or shortening battery, and or electrical system life. If your a modder your going to hate hybrid tech. What you buy is what you get.
[sarcasm]

This exactly. Hybrid tech will ruin the performance scene. Just like that worthless EFI did back in the '80's.

[/sarcasm]
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
[sarcasm]

This exactly. Hybrid tech will ruin the performance scene. Just like that worthless EFI did back in the '80's.

[/sarcasm]
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #33
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
[sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]
Difference is hybrid tech has high voltage to deal with, special grounding needs, etc, etc. My neighbor is a tech for Toyota and tells me about all the issues with working on Hybrids and how they literarily can kill you if you're not careful.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #34
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
[sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]
People don't seem to understand the limitations of resistance,volt, and amps.
How do you plan to mod your electric motor????? What do you choose DC, or AC off of an inverter? So what are you going to mod? just the gas engine?
What is the effect on a motor of higher voltage, higher or lower resistance and amp draw? There are already high performance hybrids that reputable shops gave up on.

http://jalopnik.com/the-problem-with...ing-1590589246

I work on electric motors every day. There is not much you can do to them before risk presents itself.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #35
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Difference is hybrid tech has high voltage to deal with, special grounding needs, etc, etc. My neighbor is a tech for Toyota and tells me about all the issues with working on Hybrids and how they literarily can kill you if you're not careful.
Not to mention any torque modifications involve higher voltage so a larger amp draw to the motor can produce more torque. Amps = heat. Hot Batteries, hot wiring, hot electric motor. The answer is larger batteries with higher voltage, larger gage wiring, larger motor which = more weight. These cars are not exactly going to have much headroom in the electric motor, or electrical system department.

All of this is way beyond the average guy, and your going to needs loads and loads of cash to do it.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #36
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
That still leaves you the entire ICE powertrain of a Hybrid, as well as suspension, weight savings and cosmetic and accessories among other things. Even so as the market grows, and it will grow, more things will be possible as people get more comfortable with the systems involved. I remember very clearly how difficult it was to modify anything with electronic fuel injection in the past, and now it is so routine, that it has completely flipped and now no one knows how to adjust a carburetor. And considering some of the performance mods that people do now I don't think too many people are going to be all that concerned about modifications that shorten battery life.

As performance enthusiasts we really need to stop coming up with reasons not to embrace stuff like this, it is coming like it or not, and it is going to keep performance cars viable even as emissions and fuel consumption continues to come under increased scrutiny. With the performance possible from Hybrid systems that we have seen in F1 and Le Mans Prototypes even drastically scaled down for consumer use we are going to be very pleased with the performance increases possible from these systems. I am personally looking forward to it.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #37
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
That still leaves you the entire ICE powertrain of a Hybrid, as well as suspension, weight savings and cosmetic and accessories among other things. Even so as the market grows, and it will grow, more things will be possible as people get more comfortable with the systems involved. I remember very clearly how difficult it was to modify anything with electronic fuel injection in the past, and now it is so routine, that it has completely flipped and now no one knows how to adjust a carburetor. And considering some of the performance mods that people do now I don't think too many people are going to be all that concerned about modifications that shorten battery life.

As performance enthusiasts we really need to stop coming up with reasons not to embrace stuff like this, it is coming like it or not, and it is going to keep performance cars viable even as emissions and fuel consumption continues to come under increased scrutiny. With the performance possible from Hybrid systems that we have seen in F1 and Le Mans Prototypes even drastically scaled down for consumer use we are going to be very pleased with the performance increases possible from these systems. I am personally looking forward to it.
You need amps to gain performance. You do that by increasing the voltage, or lowering the resistance. If in stock trim, the amps are regulated down, then say tuned for max, the circuits carrying the amps will be in a possible bad situation, and then the battery life will shorten as well. Do you really think GM or ford who pinch every penny, are going to leave any headroom? This is not something as simple as tuning an injector, this is redoing a complete electrical distribution system. Basically to achieve any real gains from the electric motor system it will have to be completely replaced.

I don't want the complexity, or costs of a system I see as a non benefit, esp as the ICE engine is scaled down because of the added hybrid tech.

In the end it will not matter much anyway, the car enthusiast is slowly fading away.

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 01-09-2017 at 10:30 PM.