Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 01-25-2024, 08:49 AM   #15
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWeir49221 View Post
Would it be ok to leave the rears intact and connected to the HU? Would they be off-putting while the fronts are in use?
There is no "head unit" in our cars, per se. The real tuner and tiny amp section is in the Radio Module between the right side of the glove box and the side of the car. Your stock speaker signals come from that module.

Yes, you can leave the rear side speakers in. Mine are still in place and connected to the radio module as per stock. Again, though, I fade them out and they aren't making any sound at all. There's no need for it.

Gen5DIY makes a "breakout harness" to allow us to break into the stock speaker wires at the radio module using factory-style connectors and not having to cut any wires. This is what I used. AFAIK, the Sub Thump harnesses are for Camaros with the mid-tier system or the Bose system that have separate factory amps in the trunk. Our SS 1LEs don't come with that.

Quote:
In regards to the fronts being components, does it affect the setup by having a 3-way/4-way in the doors, or will that introduce too many high frequencies?
I believe some people have done that, but I believe it would: 1) not sound very good, and/or 2) be a real waste of the tweeters in such speakers because the doors are low-passed filtered below about 600hz. Even in the stock setup, the door speakers are woofers only. Your best stereo image and integration to the door speakers will be accomplished with highs coming only from the dash or front pillars (the latter being more work and expense).

Please read the thread from my install on my 2020 SS 1LE. A lot of this is covered there.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:49 PM   #16
TrickyLT1

Drives: 2023 LT1
I used a PAC integration harness, Kicker KSS269 component set with their version of the 2 3/4" dash speaker, a pair of Kicker 48CWR84 8" subs on custom bottom mount brackets, and an Alpine S-A55V 5-channel amp to power it all. The trunk is a little big for those 8's in free-air, but I don't listen to hard pounding rap anymore and I still see 35hz on the analyzer. With the 5 channel amp I have the dash speakers crossed over around 350hz and I can adjust the gains to bring the soundstage up high where it needs to be. I'm lacking the low end extension I hoped for but it got me what I wanted - better quality sound for around the $1000 price tag. I have a Kicker KEYLOC but it is too cold to be messing with the car right now. Maybe when spring rolls around? I know those 8's will hit harder with less volume because of the trunk being packed full at Christmas. :-)

Rick
TrickyLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:01 PM   #17
Cp Rooks

Drives: 2023 2ss & 2021 Indian Scout
Quote:
The whole dsp thing is where my knowledge stops, what little I have of it. I have no trouble disassembling interiors and wiring/making harnesses, etc. I figured I would buy the harness so I don’t have to cut anything. I’ve heard that Gen5diy sells them too. Are they the same thing from both places?

Where’s the best place to purchase sound deadening materials?
They Make Two Different Types Of Harnesses Depending On Your System But I'm Assuming They Should Be The Same Across Sellers. Idk About Sound Deadening
Cp Rooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:23 PM   #18
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp Rooks View Post
They Make Two Different Types Of Harnesses Depending On Your System But I'm Assuming They Should Be The Same Across Sellers. Idk About Sound Deadening
Again, the sub thump harnesses are not breakout harnesses to pull the speaker-level signal from the behind-the-dash radio unit in an 1SS 1LE. They are amplifier integration harness to pull signals from the in-trunk amps that regular 1SS (non-1LE) and all Bose-equipped Camaros use. The SS 1LE has no amp in the trunk, so these won't work for the OP.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:50 AM   #19
BWeir49221

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyLT1 View Post
I used a PAC integration harness, Kicker KSS269 component set with their version of the 2 3/4" dash speaker, a pair of Kicker 48CWR84 8" subs on custom bottom mount brackets, and an Alpine S-A55V 5-channel amp to power it all. The trunk is a little big for those 8's in free-air, but I don't listen to hard pounding rap anymore and I still see 35hz on the analyzer. With the 5 channel amp I have the dash speakers crossed over around 350hz and I can adjust the gains to bring the soundstage up high where it needs to be. I'm lacking the low end extension I hoped for but it got me what I wanted - better quality sound for around the $1000 price tag. I have a Kicker KEYLOC but it is too cold to be messing with the car right now. Maybe when spring rolls around? I know those 8's will hit harder with less volume because of the trunk being packed full at Christmas. :-)

Rick
Are you using any kind of signal processor? Are the subs mounted under the rear deck, or in their own custom mount? Do the Kicker components sound a lot better than the oem?

Last edited by BWeir49221; 01-26-2024 at 07:14 PM.
BWeir49221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:35 PM   #20
TrickyLT1

Quote:
Are you using any kind of signal processor? Are the subs minted under the rear deck, or in their own custom mount? Do the Kicker components sound a lot better than the oem?
Sorry, I left a few key details out! The subs are mounted under the rear deck firing through the 6x9 holes. I'm not using any kind of signal processing. It is straight speaker level (taken from the fronts) into the input of the amp. I found the OEM dash speakers to be very harsh on the highs and I had the treble set at about -4. For the price, I think the Kicker components perform great.

I don't know if the KEYLOC will make a big difference or not as I think the signal coming from the OEM deck is pretty flat without a lot or any processing. That said I've heard they do wonders also. We'll see this spring.

Rick
Old 01-26-2024, 07:13 PM   #21
BWeir49221

I was thinking about using Kicker. I like their price a whole lot more than some recommended here. It pains me to spend $2k-$3k on audio upgrades on a vehicle that is not a daily driver. Heck, I’ve never spent that much in audio upgrades on a daily driver.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:27 PM   #22
BWeir49221

Quote:
I used a PAC integration harness, Kicker KSS269 component set with their version of the 2 3/4" dash speaker, a pair of Kicker 48CWR84 8" subs on custom bottom mount brackets, and an Alpine S-A55V 5-channel amp……

Rick

Do you have any weird noises from the amplified front speakers? Some say their chime sounds are really loud. This is stuff I’m worried about. I’ve been told a dsp can resolve those issues.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:33 PM   #23
Msquared

Quote:
Do you have any weird noises from the amplified front speakers? Some say their chime sounds are really loud. This is stuff I’m worried about. I’ve been told a dsp can resolve those issues.
I forgot to answer that earlier. On my uber-simple setup (Audiofrog in doors and dash with Kicker KEY200.4), the chimes are quiet. I still have chimes, but right now they seem quieter than stock. Keep in mind that I haven't amplified the rear speakers at all, and they are faded all the way down. If the chimes come solely or mostly through them, that would explain that. I should fade them up and see how the chimes sound, just to find out. Also, I have the gains on the amp set full low. With the speaker-level inputs, it still can be driven to clipping that way. But the low gains may also have something to do with the very quiet chimes.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:48 PM   #24
BWeir49221

That’s good to know. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2024, 08:53 AM   #25
TrickyLT1

Quote:
No, chimes are fine. That amp is only 40w on the stereo channels, plus I have the chime volume all the way down in settings.
Rick
Old 01-27-2024, 09:03 AM   #26
TrickyLT1

Quote:
I was thinking about using Kicker. I like their price a whole lot more than some recommended here. It pains me to spend $2k-$3k on audio upgrades on a vehicle that is not a daily driver. Heck, I’ve never spent that much in audio upgrades on a daily driver.
I looked at Audio Frog and despite it looking like top notch equipment, it was a little over my budget, which was the price of the Bose upgrade. I caught a good Kicker sale at Crutchfield and got the separates for $216 and the subs for $80 ea. The amp was on clearance from another vendor for like $229 because Alpine had just released the S2 series. Add in the wiring, fuse holders, etc. and I probably have around $900 in what's installed in the car.

Rick
Old 01-27-2024, 01:19 PM   #27
Msquared

Quote:
No, chimes are fine. That amp is only 40w on the stereo channels, plus I have the chime volume all the way down in settings.
Rick
Oh, yeah, that too. I forgot to mention that.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:56 PM   #28
TrickyLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Oh, yeah, that too. I forgot to mention that.
Matt - Thank you for posting your very detailed descriptions and pictures of your install. It made things a lot easier for me, especially the dash speakers!

Rick