#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 01-25-2024, 03:03 PM   #1
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE
Good Track Day Lock Box That Fits In The Trunk

Hi All,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for quality lock box/container recommendations that fit through the beautifully shaped trunk opening of our amazing cars.
I'd like something that could fit most if not all of one's track day essentials and keep them secure (holes for a padlock(s) suffice) while I'm on the track.
In a perfect world it'd fit an aluminum 1.5 ton jack, various liquids and tools (including longer ones like breaker bar/torque wrench).
I'm open to the idea of multiple boxes if that's the solution some members are currently using.

On the note of liquids, I'm also open to recommendations for quality gas canisters you feel comfortable having in your trunk on the way to a track day.

Why I'm focusing on a box that fits in the trunk is because for now, I'm ruling out a dedicated tire trailer that would have the space for a dedicated lock box.
Regarding second set of wheels/tires for farther track days, I do really like the solution some members have found using a hitch mount cargo carrier/bike rack that holds 2 wheels and placing the remaining 2 wheels in the back seats.
I would love to hear opinions/experiences with this set up as well.

Appreciate the help and pictures are welcome!
Camaro Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I use a 64qt Sterilite container. You can fit two in the back. I'll add photo later w specific part number and dimensions.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:42 PM   #3
clyde

Drives: broken
This was my basic loadout (plus max carryon sized suitcase that was at the hotel) when I was in a turbo Camaro. The wheels are 18x8.5" with 275/35 tires. I had 3 in the back and 1 in passenger seat. Not sure you can do that with SS 1LE sized wheels/tires (I had a tire trailer by the time I got one, so never tried).
Attached Images

clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:12 PM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Fanatic View Post
Regarding second set of wheels/tires for farther track days, I do really like the solution some members have found using a hitch mount cargo carrier/bike rack that holds 2 wheels and placing the remaining 2 wheels in the back seats.
I would love to hear opinions/experiences with this set up as well.
I have the Draw-Tite hitch and a Curt 18110 cargo carrier. I bolted three plastic wheel chocks to the floor of the cargo carrier, and so far it's worked well for me. The raised height from that carrier's S-shaped shank is imperative to keeping it from scraping the ground.

I actually load three tires on the carrier and one in the trunk. E-Trailer advised me that I don't need a stabilizer strap with that hitch. If you're willing to put two wheels inside the car, then you could put one 5-gal fuel jug and two wheels on the cargo carrier.
Old 01-26-2024, 06:58 PM   #5
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I have the Draw-Tite hitch and a Curt 18110 cargo carrier. I bolted three plastic wheel chocks to the floor of the cargo carrier, and so far it's worked well for me. The raised height from that carrier's S-shaped shank is imperative to keeping it from scraping the ground.

I actually load three tires on the carrier and one in the trunk. E-Trailer advised me that I don't need a stabilizer strap with that hitch. If you're willing to put two wheels inside the car, then you could put one 5-gal fuel jug and two wheels on the cargo carrier.
Thanks Matt for posting this. For longer distance track commutes, I've putting all 4 tires inside the car (3 in back w/seat removed plus one in the trunk) but that doesn't leave much room for cooler, clothes, and tools. Your approach with the rack sounds promising, as it seems like it's less complicated and expensive than a wheel caddy trailer.

A few questions if you don't mind:

1) Does the draw tie hitch bolt directly onto the Camaro frame or does it need to be welded?
2) Is any modification of the Camaro required (holes drilled in frame, diffuser cuts to make room for the hitch assembly)?
3) Does it require bumper cover to be removed to install it?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:09 PM   #6
clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Thanks Matt for posting this. For longer distance track commutes, I've putting all 4 tires inside the car (3 in back w/seat removed plus one in the trunk) but that doesn't leave much room for cooler, clothes, and tools. Your approach with the rack sounds promising, as it seems like it's less complicated and expensive than a wheel caddy trailer.

A few questions if you don't mind:

1) Does the draw tie hitch bolt directly onto the Camaro frame or does it need to be welded?
2) Is any modification of the Camaro required (holes drilled in frame, diffuser cuts to make room for the hitch assembly)?
3) Does it require bumper cover to be removed to install it?
I have the Draw Tite hitch on mine.

1) yes
2) no
3) yes

etrailer.com has a video showing what it takes to do the install

The hardest part for me was disconnecting the harnesses shown around the 2:00 mark in the video. It was just a matter of figuring out which part to push and what to pull to get them separated. It's easy unless it's not.

There's also a harness on the passenger side that the car in the video doesn't have (I think for NPP and parking sensors). There's enough slack you can take the bumper cover off before disconnecting it, but don't be surprised when you run into it.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:37 PM   #7
Msquared

Yep, everything Clyde wrote, exactly. I won't lie: with the tires on the cargo carrier, it moves around somewhat over bumps and such. I would have worried more if E-Trailer hadn't explicitly told me it didn't need a stabilizer strap. I keep measuring and it has not deformed or taken any kind of permanent droop after three years of use.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:40 PM   #8
Camaro Fanatic

Appreciate the feedback on both what size boxes fit in the trunk and experiences with a cargo carrier solution for carrying tires!

I would love to see pictures of the set up and what straps/methods you use to secure 3 wheels.
With the tongue weight rated for 200lbs I didn't know 3 wheels and a curt carrier would stay below it.
Only keeping one tire in the car is definitely preferred as I'll travel to most of my track day weekends with my fiancee and any extra room for her luggage will definitely make her happy!

Thanks
Old 01-27-2024, 08:33 PM   #9
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Fanatic View Post
Appreciate the feedback on both what size boxes fit in the trunk and experiences with a cargo carrier solution for carrying tires!

I would love to see pictures of the set up and what straps/methods you use to secure 3 wheels.
With the tongue weight rated for 200lbs I didn't know 3 wheels and a curt carrier would stay below it.
Only keeping one tire in the car is definitely preferred as I'll travel to most of my track day weekends with my fiancee and any extra room for her luggage will definitely make her happy!

Thanks
The cargo carrier is in the basement for winter. I might be loading it up to go to the Moultrie National Tour autocross at the end of March, and I can take pics then. In the meantime, take a look at pics of the carrier, then imagine three of the cheap plastic wheel chocks bolted to the floor at the rear edge. The tires go against those and then rest against the front "wall" (maybe 2" tall) of the carrier. I got this pair of retractable ratchet straps, and I strap the tires diagonally using the holes in the side "walls" of the carrier: one strap goes from left front to right rear over the tires, and the other goes from right front to left rear. The straps cross at the middle, on top of the center tire. Nothing ever moves or slips.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:21 AM   #10
Camaro Fanatic

Thank you for the detailed write up Matt!
Do you do any sort of theft prevention tie downs?
Thinking maybe a rope style bike lock that goes between the spikes of the rims.
I might be staying in hotel parking lots over night between track days.

I'm considering the cargo carrier route more and more.
I have a few track days scheduled that are 2+ hrs away and would really prefer not to risk only having my tracked SC3s and the fix a flat kit to go to and from.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:58 PM   #11
clyde

Not my setup, but another friend's setup with two tires on the rack. Safety cable through the wheels and locked to the receiver.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2024, 01:27 PM   #12
Camaro Fanatic

These pictures help a lot! Thank you Clyde
Old 01-28-2024, 03:03 PM   #13
Msquared

I haven't had to do any kind of security cable lock yet, but the way Clyde's friend did it would surely be the best way. I might need to in March, so I should get on that! I do use safety chains from the carrier to the hitch: just in case something does break during a trip, I don't want to lose (or loose!) my tires and wheels.

I was in the basement this morning shot a couple pics of my carrier (try to ignore my kids' "art" on the floor from 15 years ago...). It's the same one Clyde's friend uses. You can see the wheel chocks I added. I also forgot to mention that I added two simple deflectors so the car's exhaust wouldn't hit my tires. It's probably not an issue, but I just wanted to make sure the tires don't get any warm/hot spots during a drive.

Name:  IMG_0322 - post.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  647.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0323 - post.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  571.5 KB
Old 01-29-2024, 12:35 AM   #14
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Great setups! I’m starting to consider this more and more! How far do you travel to get to the track? Just curious how far youre driving with 150ish pounds of weight on the hitch.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote