BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #29
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Sorry, DFW1LE is right.

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 (mass) * (velocity)^2

Mass and velocity play a role for sure, but the energy will rise exponentially with velocity. Your statement above claims the velocity increase to be negligible and this is not true.
My point is that the ZL1 needs bigger brakes to dissipate heat because of it's weight and not it's horsepower. The stopping distance of the ZL1 from 135mph is the same regardless of how much horsepower it has. You may be able to improve this from stock with pads but you will still only be able to brake at the adhesion limits of the tires. You're imaginary straight scenario aside, corner after corner you are hauling down more weight in a ZL1 than a 1LE. Lets take a short track where the HP of the ZL1 is negated. The brakes will still run hotter than the 1LE on the same track. Weight. I'm not saying your mathematical formula is incorrect. I'm saying that regardless of how much HP the Z has or how fast it's going it's heavy so it's making more heat in every single braking event. Even if you pulled 250hp from it and kept the weight the same it would still benefit from the bigger brakes. Ask me how I know heavy cars cook brakes faster regardless of speed.......
Old 12-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #30
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
My point is that the ZL1 needs bigger brakes to dissipate heat because of it's weight and not it's horsepower. ..
Um it is both, the car is heavier... yep needs more brakes. The car has more HP and thus has higher interval speeds between turns so it has more energy to dissipate pre-turn. Hp leads to higher acceleration which leads to more need to decelerate into the turn. Gut feeling and we could start working on the actual heat load, but gut feeling the 200 lbs more or 5% of race weight is probably less than the higher interval between speeds that the ZL1 will attain but is more tack dependent.... So lets call it equal. Meaning the brakes need to be 10% larger (in total heat dissipation). Off the napkin.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #31
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
If they are the same weight with the same brakes they will slow down at the exact same rate. Scrubbing off an additional 15mph may take an extra fraction of a second. Marginal. Inconsequential. The heavier the car the harder the calipers have to grab the rotor to scrub off the same amount of speed as a lighter car. The more friction it makes. The more heat it makes. When we're talking track braking we're talking maximum braking force in very short distances. Even if the 2017 ZL1 and the 2017 1LE (just for examples) are going the EXACT same speed at the end of said straight, the ZL1 is going to generate much more heat to scrub off the same speed in the same distance. Weight, not horsepower.
Again not trying to be a keyboard commando. Just having a discussion.
You have your mind made up, no point beating a dead horse.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #32
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
My point is that the ZL1 needs bigger brakes to dissipate heat because of it's weight and not it's horsepower. The stopping distance of the ZL1 from 135mph is the same regardless of how much horsepower it has. You may be able to improve this from stock with pads but you will still only be able to brake at the adhesion limits of the tires. You're imaginary straight scenario aside, corner after corner you are hauling down more weight in a ZL1 than a 1LE. Lets take a short track where the HP of the ZL1 is negated. The brakes will still run hotter than the 1LE on the same track. Weight. I'm not saying your mathematical formula is incorrect. I'm saying that regardless of how much HP the Z has or how fast it's going it's heavy so it's making more heat in every single braking event. Even if you pulled 250hp from it and kept the weight the same it would still benefit from the bigger brakes. Ask me how I know heavy cars cook brakes faster regardless of speed.......

wow

literally saying his feelings trump physics....

ZL1 power to weight ratio is greater than the 1LE.... therefore... it will reach higher max speeds before the start of braking.... since the LAWS OF PHYSICS [ (Kinetic Energy = 1/2 (mass) * (velocity)^2 ] were still in effect last time I checked... the speed have an exponentially greater effect on force than mass.... so yeah your wrong.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #33
Rafal

Drives: Sold - Krypton Green 1LE
Quote:
My point is that the ZL1 needs bigger brakes to dissipate heat because of it's weight and not it's horsepower......
And as people told you already you are wrong.
Rafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #34
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Try to think of it this way. If the car was way underpowered it would run extremely slow and require much less energy to stop it. Energy disappated = heat so with less HP the car's braking produces less heat.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #35
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
More HP = more brakes because science. Got it
Old 09-18-2023, 02:20 PM   #36
ZLElvira
Waiting 4 A Point By!

Drives: 2020 ZLE, C8 Z06-Z07 2LT Carbon
Here's an interesting point to dig up this old argument...

A Loaded 18-wheeler trailer stops in a shorter distance or longer distance? This is an actual question on the DOT CDL test, and the answer might surprise you.

The braking differences on a ZLE vs 1LE and the necessary larger brakes on the ZLE are because the frequency of higher rates of speed, per corner and the ability to shed that heat energy are far greater. Weight adds to the capability to keep the tire planted which is also why the suspension plays a vital role. Ah, but the previous comments never took into consideration the two clutches in the A10 transmission which are also playing a huge role as well as the E-LSD in maintaining the grip while at or near threshold braking.