#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 12-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #29
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Installation guide

6th Gen Camaro “Big Wang” Install
(Link includes photos from a 2018 SS 1LE)

Tools required:
  • Tape measure
  • Painter’s tape
  • Sharpie
  • Center punch
  • 10mm socket
  • ⅜” socket
  • ½” socket
  • Drill and ⅛” & ¼” drill bit
  • ¾” and/or ½” hole saw
  • Needle nose pliers
  • ⅛” hex key
  • Safety glasses
  • Towel/cardboard

Step 1: Organize the parts from the kit

I had no idea how a Big Wang would be packaged, but the laser cut “end plate frame” method worked pretty well. There was some damage to one corner to the ¼” plywood but the wing and other contents arrived just fine.

Step 2: Loosely assemble stanchions to the Big Wang
  • According to the photos on the website, the stanchions should be INBOARD of the mounts welded to the Big Wang. I made the mistake of putting them on the outside, but it installed just fine anyway. Just be aware the location of my holes in the pictures may be a ½” inside of where they’re supposed to be.
  • The stanchions are not identical! Make sure the stanchions have the rear mount tab facing OUTBOARD.
  • Doesn’t matter what angle of attack you set up for now, just make sure left and right are the same. The point of this step is to get the Big Wang positioned such that you can mark and center punch the six holes.

Step 3: Roughly position the Big Wang so you can tape the area in prep for drilling.
  • You may want an extra set of hands here, but I was able to do it myself pretty easily.
  • I had already pre-measured the distance between the stanchions and taped off the areas I thought would need it. For reference, the outside edges of the tape on top are about 31” apart. The inside edges are about 21” apart.

Step 4: Mark the holes, remove the interior trim piece, drill a ⅛” pilot hole, and then finish off with a ¼” hole.
  • The trim piece just has some clips holding it in place. Don’t forget to thread through the emergency release and also remove the trunk latch trim piece.
  • There are also two rubber plugs at the rear to access those rear mount bolts.
  • For the top mount holes, be sure to drill through both layers.
  • Also, you may not run into this if you position the stanchions correctly, but I struggled to get through the second layer on the rearward hole because that piece was angled.
  • For the rear mount holes, I aimed a little higher than my marking would suggest because I was worried the nut wouldn’t clear the interior surface. This may not have been necessary if I had positioned the stanchions to the inside as I was supposed to. But it’s something to think about before you drill.

Step 5: Scariest part for me - hole saw time!
  • From the inside, use the ¾” hole saw with a ¼” pilot bit to open up the underside piece. This is just to allow access for a socket to tighten the nut.
  • In retrospect, I would have used a smaller hole saw as the socket was nowhere near that big. But the instructions included said ¾” so that’s what I started with. I ended up using a smaller one for the second of the two holes.
  • Be careful not to go into the top layer! I scratched it up a little but no big deal as the trunk lid is aluminum.

Step 6: Remove blue tape, position and bolt up assembly
  • This is pretty straight forward. You just need to figure out the best way to hold the nuts while tightening the bolts without losing them in the interior of the trunk lid!
  • I used needle nose pliers to hold the nuts in place while using a nutdriver to tighten the bolt from the otherside. Worked great for me for all 6 bolts except I dropped the last one of course. Miraculously, it got caught by the bolt/nut that I had just finished and I was able to fish it out.

Step 7: Replace the trim piece
Step 8: Position the wing AOA as you like. I set mine up for 1 degree for now.
Step 9: Screw on the end plates
  • Turns out the holes are not symmetric. So you need to check to make sure the nine lives logo is towards the front. Otherwise, they’ll be about ¼” too far forward and won’t quite cover the rear lip.
  • Also, on my end plates, the holes didn’t perfectly match up to the holes on the wing so you may need to finesse it a little bit.
Step 10: Take pictures of your handiwork! Hopefully yours looks a little like this. (Note: the right end plate is backwards in this photo.)

Additional notes:
  • I had mine painted at a body shop. The aim was to get close to the other black bits of the SS 1LE (side mirrors, lip spoiler, etc.)
  • They also painted the little bolts for the end plates. I forgot to give them the other silver bolts.
  • You may have noticed screws on the lip spoiler. They were for a wicker bill that I had previously. I considered leaving it on and trimming it to accommodate the stanchions, but decided it was going to look weird and might also interfere with the airflow around the Big Wang so I removed it but replaced the screws. I kinda like the look actually.
  • I wonder if I should have put a thin piece of rubber between the mounts and the trunk. Not a big deal, but it would have made it a bit more water tight. Maybe something 9RL will consider for the future.
  • I also may add some washers ahead of the nuts to distribute the load across a larger area. That would have been a nice addition to the kit too.
  • The quality of the kit is quite good. There were a couple welds on the wing mounts that were not quite 100% aesthetically. I’m not a welder so maybe someone else can tell by looking if there’s enough penetration or not. Regardless, I’m pretty confident they’re fine functionally.
  • On my bathroom scale, the wing itself was 15.1 lbs and the additional hardware, end plates, and stanchions were 4 lbs.

Last edited by oneplustwo; 12-13-2020 at 12:55 PM.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #30
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
No pictures WTF man!!! LOL.

Does anyone know if the universal kit will work on a 5th Gen?? I sent a email over a week ago an no response yet.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #31
oneplustwo

Pictures are in the link. I guess I can add them here too. Will get that done today.

I find their response to email iffy. Phone has been better if not perfect.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #32
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Looks good. I would like to see a side shot to see how far it sticks out past the rear bumper
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #33
oneplustwo

Went out with a level and tape measure and got 61mm at the middle of the car.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #34
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
Went out with a level and tape measure and got 61mm at the middle of the car.
Thanks
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #35
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
looks good! let me know how it is on track and i would talk to apr or aero sport concepts for front splitter unless bigwang company wants to make one
Old 12-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #36
oneplustwo

Seems like the aero sports concepts splitter is the one to get given the support rods connect directly to the crash car. The APR ones appear to connect to the bumper which doesn't seem like a great design for the track. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like from the photos.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #37
kropscamaro16

found another vendor also looks awesome talking to them right now!

https://shop.klauscomposites.com/col...eration-camaro
Old 05-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #38
oneplustwo

Looks nice... but totally different price range.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #39
kropscamaro16

did you ever get yours tested out?
Old 05-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #40
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
found another vendor also looks awesome talking to them right now!

https://shop.klauscomposites.com/col...eration-camaro
That looks GOOD! Hopefully they will come out with a front splitter option to go with that wing.

The nine lives stuff is great for the price point. Can't beat it.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #41
kropscamaro16

nope no splitter option from either company that is the big hangup with both....they both said to hit up kurt at asc for a splitter to match but would rather do cf/cf
Old 02-17-2022, 02:33 PM   #42
Twizzty
$$$$...$$...$$$...$$$$...

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
@oneplustwo I'm thinking about the nine lives racing wing setup, any updates after a year of ownership?
2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo AWD
Twizzty is offline   Reply With Quote