Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
"If I could turn back time"

Key the cheesy Cher music
For real though, finally did my first rinseless wash with ONR this past weekend. What was I waiting for? I must say that I'm really impressed. The product works great and not having to worry about water spots made the process much less stressful. I used 2 gallons of distilled water and had plenty to spare. I'm on board from here out. The water out here in AZ is just too hard to wash the old fashion way. And I'm way too cheap to buy one of those DI filter things. I just wish I did them from the start and hadn't jacked up my paint learning how to properly wash/dry. The car needs paint correction but for now it's at least clean and protected. I plan on doing another wash this weekend and will post some pics. The car is already covered in a light layer of dust but nothing like it typically is. I did as Glen suggested and used about 7-8 mf towels. That method is great for not introducing extra dirt to the paint but it did take me a little longer than expected. Probably because the car was super dirty and it was my first time. Next time I am going to try it with a nice mf wash mitt. After using the product and watching countless YouTube videos, I am confident that using a mitt will not harm the paint as long as I use it correctly.

Anyone out there have experience with Optimum's Big Red Sponge? Would you recommend or no?

Any way, if you're on the fence about trying rinseless, just give it a try. I'm a believer for sure.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You should stick with microfiber towels per panel or so for a rinseless wash. Unless your going to use 7 to 8 mitts?
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
MF Waffle Towels work great, too. I have been using ONR for about 7 years and would never even consider something else.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I have the Optimum Big Red Sponge. Its nothing special. Any sponge will work. Optimum recommends the 1 bucket rinseless method and 1 sponge. Squeeze out the sponge in the bucket and the ONR is supposed to encapsulate the dirt and sink it to the bottom.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The multiple towels are the central concept of a rinseless. Because once the towel picks up the debris from the surface and holds it (max 2 panels) you need to discard it. You might as well just use car soap if you're going to use a mitt and do the two bucket method. I don't think you understand the concept of the Gary dean rinsless method.…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I rarely do rinseless... but when I do I use Rag Co. Everest 1100 towels, they hold a ton of rinseless solution.

This method of rolling the towel will keep you from installing any scratches or swirls.

When you buy a D/A polisher, correct one panel of your paint first, then get your rinseless method down so you know your not re-installing the swirls/scratches.

Once you have it down, then go ahead and correct the rest of the car. The only thing you will need to do in the future is use a finishing polish or an AIO product for very light wash marring.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 02-28-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I rarely do rinseless... but when I do I use Rag Co. Everest 1100 towels, they hold a ton of rinseless solution.
Those are great towels. The only thing that holds more rinseless solution is a natural sheepskin mitt.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Those are great towels. The only thing that holds more rinseless solution is a natural sheepskin mitt.
I wish those sheepskin mitts lasted longer....really nice...but not very durable.
I've been using the MM Incredimitt for four years now. Really soft and also extremely durable mitt....doesn't hold quite as much water, but fairly close to a sheepskin.

They used to put the Everest 1100's on sale for $4.75-$5.00 each... they haven't done this for a long time!

Glad I bought 30 the last time they had this sale.

Now if only we could get MM Crazy Pile towels for $5 each...that will never happen!

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I wish those sheepskin mitts lasted longer....really nice...but not very durable.
I've been using the MM Incredimitt for four years now. Really soft and also extremely durable mitt....doesn't hold quite as much water, but fairly close to a sheepskin.

They used to put the Everest 1100's on sale for $4.75-$5.00 each... they haven't done this for a long time!

Glad I bought 30 the last time they had this sale.

Now if only we could get MM Crazy Pile towels for $5 each...that will never happen!
I have a DoDo Juice Wookiie's Fist Natural Sheepskin Mitt that I have kept for 1 year now. It takes work to maintain it! I rinse it, hang it up until the fur is dry but the skin is still damp, brush it with a pet brush, then put it in a bag and keep the bag open! It is the only mitt I use on my own car.

But nothing holds as much water. I haven't measured it but based on how many rinses until I have to add more water, i'd say it holds 3/4 of a gallon of solution!

I have a business account so I can get Everest 1100 towels for about $4.25 each but I can't share that discount so I can't do a group buy.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The multiple towels are the central concept of a rinseless. Because once the towel picks up the debris from the surface and holds it (max 2 panels) you need to discard it. You might as well just use car soap if you're going to use a mitt and do the two bucket method. I don't think you understand the concept of the Gary dean rinsless method.…
Glen, I do value your opinion, especially since you are the main reason I am trying rinseless. I have watched almost every Gary Dean video I could find and totally get why his method, in theory, is the safest. But it is certainly, for me, a lot slower than I hoped for. In addition, I have watched every video about ONR I could find and the result is always the same, the ONR encapsulates and emulcifies the dirt creating a barrier between the panel and the dirt. Nothing I saw had proof that using ONR created swirls...with or without the GD method. I will say that I am not sold yet on any particular method. I want to to try a couple a see what works best for me. I need something that can be done quick and easy. I'm in AZ so even doing a rinseless in my garage needs to be quick. The summer heat is relentless and my garage is always over 100 degrees.

Again, this was my first time doing one so I might have been a little slower than I needed to be. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions because I see this as a real alternative to the traditional wash. Or even worse, driving to the touchless wash
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
Hms31093

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Is the rinseless solution okay on satin wrap (1LE)?
Hms31093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Fine on wrap.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Ichabod

Drives: 2018 zl1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hms31093 View Post
Is the rinseless solution okay on satin wrap (1LE)?
Yes, ONR is pretty much exclusively how i wash mine, no issues whatsoever.
2017 Ram 1500
Ichabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #14
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I just placed an order for the Griots garage rinsless kit. Wish me luck.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote