Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
2016 RS 1st polishing!

2016 Camaro RS nightfall grey metallic with heavy swirling on the trunk. Super hard clear coat.

I have owned this car for one year and it has not been polished yet. There was a LOT of swirling on the trunk. I'm not sure where it came from. It's possible that someone at the dealership wiped the trunk with a dirty rag. You can see how bad it is in this pic.

Materials
Wash
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss soap
Chemical Guys Clean Slate soap
Bilt-Hamber Auto Clay (regular)
Chemical Guys Synthetic Detailer as clay lubrication

Tools:
Flex PE14-2 rotary buffer with Chemical Guys Flex backing plate
Flex PE14-2 rotary buffer with 3" backing plate
Cyclo Pro 5 dual action polisher
Porter Cable 7424XP dual action polisher
Porter Cable 7424XP dual action polisherwith 3" backing plate
Chemical Guys blow dryer

Polishes:
Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (cut level 7)- most of the panels
Optimum Compound II (cut level 8)- tried it on the trunk lid
Wolfgang Uber Compound (cut level 10)- trunk lid
Optimum Polish II
Chemical Guys P40 Final Polish

Pads:
Orange Lake Country Force 2 5.5"
Orange Hex Logic 5.5" for curvy body panels
Orange 3" Lake Country
White 4" Cyclo pad
White 3" Lake Country with 3" backing plate and PC7424
Chemical Guys Polishing Pad Conditioner
Chemical Guys Pad Cleaner
Chemical Guys WipeOut Surface Cleaner
IPG ProMask blue painters tape

Towels:
TRC Edgeless Eagles, Everests, and Wizards

Sealant:
Mckee's Hydro Blue SiO2 Coating

It took 3 polishes to get the job done! The trunk was really tough. I had to resort to my most aggressive polish, Wolfgang Uber Compound to get the swirls out of the trunk!

After the polishing was done, I wiped the surface with Chemical Guys WipeOut surface cleaner to remove any polishing oils. I then used Chemical Guys Clean Slate soap in a foam cannon and foamed away all of the polish dust and residue. I left the car wet and applied Mckee's Hydro Blue SiO2 Coating and sprayed it with a pressure washer. I blew the car dry and wiped any leftover water with McKee's Fast Wax as a drying aid.

KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:53 AM   #2
stevstevd

Drives: MBM 2016 2LT RS
that's an awesome job! I had swirling all over the vehicle, scratches in many areas...was in rough shape straight from the dealer as it had been on there lot for over a year. horrible job they did cleaning it probably once a week in a dusty basement using old rags I am sure. Then of course before I picked it up they tried to get some of the large scratches by 'buffing' which left hazing all over the vehicle. There were some spots it really looked like they tried to rub out scratches which in turn left hand sized areas that are totally dull with scratches. Looked like crap for a few weeks until I could fix it up some (I'm a rookie).

I haven't gotten it nearly in that condition, but I spent about 4-5hours after washing, clay bar, washing, and my first attempt at polishing. had chemical guys vss which took it from a 2/10 to about a 9/10. even close up only the major scratches remained in many areas. I still have some of the deeper swirls in other places. I followed up with blacklight, and butter wet wax + v07.

Happy with the results I got, but in the future I am going to attempt a better correction and will use some of your tips above! Did you have multiple steps in the polishing process? I have chemical guys 32,34,36, and 38 still. I might use those instead of the vss next time.
stevstevd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Nice.
Lots of work. But it's done some simple maintenance will keep it looking Sharp.
2 thumbs

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
KirkH

I had to do a 3 stage polish. Since I had to use the rotary, I had to polish out the holograms left by the rotary, hence the 2nd step polish with Optimum Polish II and a white pad with the DA polishers.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Very nice job...wayyyyy too much work for me, I'll stick with a one step and LSP, I don't care about getting about every microscratch at my age...LOL.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Very nice job...wayyyyy too much work for me, I'll stick with a one step and LSP, I don't care about getting about every microscratch at my age...LOL.
I hear ya! I had been putting off this big job for a while. It took me a week!!!

It was a challenge that I wanted to take. I am going touchless as much as possible now. I am rinsing with pressure wash, foaming with foam cannon, rinsing and then spot wiping dirt and grime. No more spraying down the car with detail spray and wiping like a maniac! No more scrubbing with mitts.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevstevd View Post
I have chemical guys 32,34,36, and 38 still. I might use those instead of the vss next time.
Thanks! I love a lot of Chemical Guys products but the V line of polishes are not my favorites. There are polishes that will get the job done in faster time with less powerful tools. I do really like the P40 Final Polish.

They will work, you will just have to go more slowly and make more passes with the V polishes.

V32 cut level 10
V34 cut level 9
V36 cut level 6
V38 cut level 3
P40 cut level 1