Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-18-2020, 10:11 PM   #71
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
You are more than welcome. Just glad I had the Ability and time to help out
Old 10-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #72
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Big SHOUT OUT too you for pioneering and sharing it!
no problem thats what the fourms are all about.

Quote:
Hey Mr2Hard2See, Pete D and anybody else out there that did this key swap I have a challenge for you ...how do you get the battery out to change it?

After initially putting it together using a 5+yr old battery I figured why not just put in a new battery. So I opened the battery compartment cover but couldn’t get the battery out! I futzed around trying to pry/slip/push it out of the two tabs that hold it in place, using a tooth pick and micro size screwdriver but I couldn’t get it out. I didn’t use much force as I didn’t want to break the two tabs. I then unscrewed the battery side half (keeping the top only semi open with tape as didn’t want to deal with unwinding & rewinding the key spring). Still couldn’t get the battery out Figured this is a good time to ask as the thread is fresh.
I know Pete will cover this

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Yes sir Dante. Thank you for showing us the mod. Was not try to steal the thunder. Just trying to provide a little assistance
No Pete you've done exactly what I wanted you to do, no thunder stolen what so ever. You and a few others have a helping hand on the mod project. We all shine my guy.
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #73
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Worked Great! Can't beat it for 6 bucks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modify-Remo...72.m2749.l2648
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #74
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Got mine cut & programmed today. Only thing"Key Programmed"never displayed on the DIC All buttons fully functional
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #75
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Got mine cut & programmed today. Only thing"Key Programmed"never displayed on the DIC All buttons fully functional
I have never had it come up on mine either
Old 10-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #76
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
I have never had it come up on mine either
Interesting why some do and some don't. Assume it's by model year.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #77
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
Got it done too. Was a PITA, but worth it.
I had to sand down the circuit board to get it to fit. Got er done though.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:23 AM   #78
Kaylakms

Drives: 2016 LGX
Has anyone had a problem with the buttons not working with the board that came with the fob, i just swapped out the key itself, and reprogrammed it to the car but the buttona don't work, key starts the car, this is the key i bought https://keyecu.com/modify-4-button-r...512-p2528.html
Kaylakms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:48 AM   #79
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylakms View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the buttons not working with the board that came with the fob, i just swapped out the key itself, and reprogrammed it to the car but the buttona don't work, key starts the car, this is the key i bought https://keyecu.com/modify-4-button-r...512-p2528.html
Think someone else had similar problem with some but not all buttons working. Turned out the circuit board shifted out of position when installing the button cover. Try opening the button cover side and reposition the circuit board making sure it stays in place when putting the button cover back on.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #80
Kaylakms

Drives: 2016 LGX
Quote:
Think someone else had similar problem with some but not all buttons working. Turned out the circuit board shifted out of position when installing the button cover. Try opening the button cover side and reposition the circuit board making sure it stays in place when putting the button cover back on.
Have tried this, the board shifting wasn't the issue, the cars alarm doesnt sound either if i lock all the doors from the center buttons and open it with the key it used to set the alarm off, it doesnt now, i'm not sure, i never had any issues until switching fobs, i tried the old board too, it would work occationally then completely stopped working all together
Kaylakms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #81
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
The fob guts on my 2014 fit great once I got them out. I think there are several kits out there on Ebay and not all are the same so pick carefully. PeteD, Mr2HardToSee, and myself all put links up in various places to our kits. My issues from my swap had to do with taking my old one apart. GM might have changed the internals a bit too so who knows why there seems to be so many issues now with the swap.

Here is the newer fob link on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modify-Remo...72.m2749.l2649
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #82
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Factory board with just the shell is the way to go IMO. Not a whole lot of chances for problems.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #83
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Want is the PCB ? Thanks
PCB = Printed Circuit Board.
In this case its the board inside the remote.

Basic lesson. They call it a PRINTED circuit board because the circuits are chemically and photographically etched onto the board that is completely covered in copper. The board is then washed in acid to reomve the copper leaving only the traces of copper that was the printed design.

My dad used to make home made boards in my moms oven. sun lamps and sulfuric acid baking in the kitchen....Ah yes the good ol' days!
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #84
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
Good to know I wasn't the only one that needed to do that. Everyone else's seemed to just go together and I watched as many videos as I could and nobody would show that side so I could see if there was a gap or not lol
Same here. I definitely had to whittle off some of the green circuit board for it to fit properly. Maybe I’m becoming OCD in my old age but that gap would have bothered me.

Also you can get the punch needed to get the pin out to switch over the blades from Home Depot, $7 for the three set, $13 for the bigger set. Definitely needed to switch the blade.

Thanks to all who suggested this mod!

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 11-25-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote