Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Gen V Tuning - getting schooled

Started thumbing through my new GEN V level 3 training package. I have to say my first impression is very positive. Very well put together with a hand written thank you letter. First class product.

Its not as academic as I was expecting, since every other source out on the webs doesn't seem to quite nail it on the Gen V when it gets to tuning AIR/FUEL. I found HP Academy, much more inline with giving you "hands-on" the prereqs needed for HPT Gen V tuning applied theory and Andre pounds it into your head how the practical application works in tuning your DD, think of it as the laboratory class that perfectly compliments HPT's engineering classroom.

HPT Gen V Level 3, is very well laid out step by step from A-to-Z on exactly the settings to modify and why. It has very brief and to the point explanations of what and why is affected, and it you've done your homework or been in the game for a while its superfluous back ground info by now, but helpful to keep your train of thought.

Grease pencil and eraseable templates kind of harken back to sitting in a classroom, drawing notes as your go.

For the Price- Its expensive. If you've poured over the webs and managed to hobble together almost 80 percent of the info needed is out there, at first you might think over priced. But the devil is in the details. So for the $500 you do get the full, authoritative, guide with all those precious missing nuggets explained for the Gen V and 1 year of email support. SO at the end of the day, If you look at it as any of the other bolt-ons out there, it is actually in the ball park for the price. It seems to promise a good bang for your buck in the modding area.

There are downloadables, but I noticed a graph table that I need isn't in there so I will email them. IT is HP tuners based. You will need a mastery of HPT VCS Suite to continue.

One final note. As with other lesson packages out there, they Don't just come out and and have a title section called "How to make XXX HP"! It is a tuning guide in the classical sense. It will complete your knowledge of tuning in all the vital settings/tables, After you have massaged any power adders like bolt-ons and Virtual Torque to your liking. For example, there is a reasonably large difference between the info in the Gen V guide, and that of another Performance tune I own.

Also- There is a very large and comprehensive section that says basically this is intended for Your own car, and not to be employed in a reseller environment. So If anyone asks any questions, best I can do is say your either hot or cold, also there is a ton of general info out there, and I don't think they can prosecute anyone who is likely to have already an accumulation of knowledge unless you start copying pages literally. Not that is a problem, Just my impression.

So between the 2 major sources, Academy and HP Tuner School, I think I have the best possible preparation to really make sense of my car and get it dialed in.

Definitely pride factor 10/10.

total investment
HPT Gen V III $500
HPAcademy $200 on sale
HPT adapter $299 (suite free)
credits $200 M-6
Study email tune $250

"Satisfaction" - priceless.

Last edited by wookwook; 10-22-2019 at 08:34 AM.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Sounds fantastic, good luck with your studies and your tuning journey

All things considered, the price doesn't feel exorbitant, especially if you then get to use this knowledge on 2-3 cars going forward. Add to this the confidence of (eventually) being able to fix factory tune issues or tune for any new mods on your car, and it's probably more than worth it.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Sounds fantastic, good luck with your studies and your tuning journey

All things considered, the price doesn't feel exorbitant, especially if you then get to use this knowledge on 2-3 cars going forward. Add to this the confidence of (eventually) being able to fix factory tune issues or tune for any new mods on your car, and it's probably more than worth it.

Well said my old friend, and absolutely correct in every way.

I can only add WOOK, something the books don't specifically state, .... dial in the vve table first.. Its the only way to get an accurate MAF table.., unless OFK you go MAF only....Most do, and thats fine.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Well said my old friend, and absolutely correct in every way.
Bill, hope you're doing great Don't forget to let me know if you happen to travel up northeast, you're my guest for a few and we could do some nice spirited drives in the Poconos, maybe even a little drag racing, heh.
Wook, sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #5
wookwook

Ha! Please - hi jack or low jack to your heart's content. I really appreciate the comments fellas. Yeah Cooper, I actually solved a problem I spent 2 hours on. The VVE pressure ratio - I reconstructed the pratio ( LTFT vs VVE y axis) using the pids that seem to be working for FI (the book is geared to LS) using (ltg) MAP pid ( i dont remember the exact name of it i at work at the moment) . That part of the guide did take me by surprise cause they seemed to gloss over it. I don't know if there will be other caution signs.

The VVE fractional graph table is filling up nicely now. To be sure there will be a few dry runs for all the tables before committing anything to write. Maybe I could bounce a few of these ahaa moments off you in the future. ?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Are you talking about "The Tuning School"??? https://thetuningschool.com/ ?

It doesn't sound like you are from your description, but if you are, I'm glad you are happy with it.

I've read (do not own) the Gen V book, and my take away was it just says "do this", and "do that" with no real explanation why. Of course this was 2 years ago, so maybe they've updated it since then? I did purchase the transmission tuning guide, and was super disappointed in that more so than the engine book. The transmission book didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know just from common knowledge. Transmission book was a total waste of money. Good thing you have an M6

That's just my .02, I do hope you get something out of it, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade if you are indeed talking about "The Tuning School".
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
wookwook

I Appreciate the info Jason.

yeah the tuning school. it is a different take, yes it is very structured like that, which is good for a re-beginner. all the stuff out there in the public domain is also very very good back ground. I just found the ltg (fair to say LS variant?) to be so specific that i got to the point that anything that could 'organize' the information i needed would be worth it. and for me, it seems like a worthwhile investment, since my kids are out of college yada, yada I can afford a little indulgence on it. but yeah if you've been doing it for a long time, you don't need the broader info, which is what I was trying to say. HP Academy on the other hand is like sitting with the tuner Andre, and he explains everything 'in the tuning bay' so to speak. For me- i was a gear head from highschool days and a LOT has changed, so its a good way to get caught up. Up til I got to sit down the books, with Npp to me meant nuclear powered propulsion. Anyways. I figure if down the road- I keeper the chassis and have options with the engine I can at least know something about what I want to do. A ways.. down the road. Its been a good ride so far.

W.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Bill, hope you're doing great Don't forget to let me know if you happen to travel up northeast, you're my guest for a few and we could do some nice spirited drives in the Poconos, maybe even a little drag racing, heh.
Wook, sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread
I am well my friend , I hope you are as too!!! I will definitely take you up on that offer if I get up your way Im not sure I want any of the tvs2300 though, hahah!!!! I bet she is amazing to drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Ha! Please - hi jack or low jack to your heart's content. I really appreciate the comments fellas. Yeah Cooper, I actually solved a problem I spent 2 hours on. The VVE pressure ratio - I reconstructed the pratio ( LTFT vs VVE y axis) using the pids that seem to be working for FI (the book is geared to LS) using (ltg) MAP pid ( i dont remember the exact name of it i at work at the moment) . That part of the guide did take me by surprise cause they seemed to gloss over it. I don't know if there will be other caution signs.

The VVE fractional graph table is filling up nicely now. To be sure there will be a few dry runs for all the tables before committing anything to write. Maybe I could bounce a few of these ahaa moments off you in the future. ?
Hit me up anytime Wook. I love to talk tuning. I'm not on here much, but you can find me on the socials.

I agree with Jason on the books, I mean, the older ones are essential for the fundamental base understanding, but in no way are they remotely geared for these 2.0T cars at all. When I went over the gen 5 book, they didn't even touch on the virtual torque model at all. Not even a mention of it. So that was interesting to figure out on my own. Someone told me they made a revision to the gen 5 book, and it now covers the VTM, but I can not verify. Even then, there is A LOT left to be desired....

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
wookwook

awesome. fair enough. and thanks for the invite! I know that this topic is probably better suited to those forums. I just wanted to start a thread maybe update once in a while with anything that's 'interesting' . Not to bash any source that is helpful, because those learned skills are vital to the tuners who invest lots of time and money in (LTG) tuning and it's a sought after commodity right now. But it will play out in time. That's all... I've always bitten off big chunks when its something I'm curious about. Some times too big!

Squirrel! ....... ........................
Old 10-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
wookwook

Drew a great hand. Some cookies for give back.

1. VVE SD table sub fine anti tip-in stutter rich on the right is WOT MAF curve.
2. Custom Math PID - pratio for VVE vs LTFT graph build for VVE table coefficient build.
3. another rare bird. derived AFR error graph from onboard wideband, needed for MAF WOT tuning.

Thanks and Enjoy!.

Name:  tuning night.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  131.2 KB

Name:  pratio.PNG
Views: 1172
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  AFR Error.PNG
Views: 1244
Size:  137.0 KB