Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Vne182

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro LS
This is a commuter and my wife's commuter at that. I'm fine with the power that the car has now. This car was simply not designed for big power. From the small radiator to the small differential, everything on the car was designed to cut costs, save weight and provide a value "sports car" that handles really well. I'm not interested in finding and replacing the week links.

As I've stated, at my altitude the compressor wheel is already running out of breath, there isn't much envelope left for improved efficiency. I'm running 21/22 PSI with the stock tune. Just as your computer limits boost at sea level to stay at 295Ib' of torque, mine has to run more just to get to the stock levels.
The positive side to that is that the car is significantly faster than a naturally aspirated V6 which can loose 30-40% power on a hot day up here in Utah. I'm okay being faster than most things on the road.

I'll continue to watch for good tunes and maybe a better Mitsubishi/Garrett turbo in the future. For now, I'll install the intermediate intake pipe for noise, and a catch can to keep those intake valves clean. ZZP seems to be great to work with. I'll pick up that downpipe I'm sure too.
Maybe, maybe after I've invested in a good set of 19" wheels, I'll throw down the money at a tune.
Vne182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #16
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
well said, every word. At sea level we have the benefit of accessing boost reserve with demand tweaks and make some burnouts. will be nice to see how your builds go.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #17
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Thanks guys, great info. Looks like I have plenty to think about over the winter.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #18
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vne182 View Post
Mod #3 - Louder intake. The factory airbox looks like an excellent design but that intake tube with the integrated muffler looks like it may cause some restrictions in order to silence any turbo noise. I would really like to retain the factory MAF location and airbox, has anyone found a solution that offers an intermediate intake pipe between the MAF tube and turbo?

You can certainly get an aftermarket intake tube like the Mishimoto, and there are some people out there that have made their own for very little money if you're into the DIY kind of thing. K&N Drop in filter.

Mod#4 - Boost regulator/JacFab? Does this actually smooth boost regulation for more consistent power delivery? Does this throw a CEL on the stock tune as well?

Many have noticed an improvement with the valve even on a stock tune, however with the right tuning can be improved even further, especially on the top end. Unfortunately it does throw a check engine light on a stock tune. I would typically see the check engine light come on about once every 4-6 weeks of daily driving to work and back, just clear it and go about your business. The frequency of how often the CEL comes up really depends on the end user's driving style.

Your thoughts?
See my thoughts on #2 and 3 above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
As far as the BNR/JacFab Boost-o-lator I've been trying to stay 100% positive with this however recently a few had issues keeping them oiled. I haven't i check mine every few oil changes anyway. My thought is the stock valve may have had the leak intentionally to disperse moisture build-up. The actual part does what it's intended to do but requires that extra bit of observation every so often. So if your serious about eeking everything out then get it if your a casual may never race or go full bolt-on and tune there's no need for the extra work.
Interesting you say this. I have not heard of anyone reporting problems with one recently, and we haven't had to send out a replacement for a "defective" one in about 8 months. I personally haven't had to remove mine to do anything with it in over a year; Since the last time I put it on. If you don't like it, send it back and I'll refund your money.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #19
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
See my thoughts on #2 and 3 above.

Interesting you say this. I have not heard of anyone reporting problems with one recently, and we haven't had to send out a replacement for a "defective" one in about 8 months. I personally haven't had to remove mine to do anything with it in over a year; Since the last time I put it on. If you don't like it, send it back and I'll refund your money.
Sorry in advance OP for this thread jack, I really hope your build goes very well.

Listen, I get it me and you aren't on cloud 9 anymore. I'm not bashing your product and people are to heavily invested to say anything. Your customer service has always been top notch across all platforms I've had your products on. I haven't had any issues with your product it's done admirably and i'm very satisfied with it, so come down off it.

The simple fact is it was an observation post from a few ramblings I've heard nothing more we both know people don't like to be mentioned because let's face it the days of my social media status mattering are here for the snowflakes. Nothing about my post said don't buy this in fact I said it does exactly what it's suppose to do.

I did say like catch cans in cooler climates it may require a little more "Hey maybe I should check that soon just to make sure."

You yourself even recommended making sure it's properly lubricated on the piston that's not a mechanical oversight shit dries out or get's lost overtime the piece is a high psi product constantly used and in a high heat area. Can we bury the hatchet already and move on?

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #20
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Sorry in advance OP for this thread jack, I really hope your build goes very well.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Can we bury the hatchet already and move on?
You're over reacting to what I wrote, and I have no problem with you as a person, just the "fake news".
Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #21
wookwook

seems like built burn out you guys. everyone should just take a deep breath. I am just suggesting that tone sets whether its a friendly place to virtually hang out. We're trying here. yeah no one wants to look like a screw up, but we've all screwed up. admit it and move on. After wading through all the "I bought and I'm gonna", with no followup, consider yourselves the few main stays here that most people will get the most of their info from. That should be "good enough".

* smoked my clutch launching from 2nd the other night. broke 2 sensor connectors. paid way too much for a bolt on exhaust. etc. etc.. but live and learn that's why were here.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #22
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I wont say too much, but I will say this about the BNR/JacFab Boost-o-lator for anyone who cares to read. This is another forum members car I did recently with a bone stock turbo, and I can say without a doubt, I could not hold this much boost, this linear, at these speeds, without the valve. No question about it.
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #23
wookwook

wtf are those numbers.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #24
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post

* smoked my clutch launching from 2nd the other night. broke 2 sensor connectors.
What! Definitely need some details here haha. Sorry to hear it.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #25
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
wtf are those numbers.
The HP and TQ are estimated crank numbers, boost is in PSI, speed in MPH. Looks like a snippet from an HP tuners log file.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #26
wookwook

well torque is sensor and hp can be done 2 ways, by 1-1: 5252 divisor and also derived from displacement, map, maf and rpm. its just physics. its not a mystical number. I've repeated mine with complete accuracy lots of times. I just... like are you gonna run that in the arctic circle or WHAT? Dude HEAT! come on now.... Show us those EGTs and injector temps.

give it a try:

https://atgtraining.com/atg-volumetr...cy-calculator/
Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
wookwook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
What! Definitely need some details here haha. Sorry to hear it.

Too eager and too impatient to practice the unclipping of the sensor clips ala race chip harness.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #28
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
well torque is sensor and hp can be done 2 ways, by 1-1: 5252 divisor and also derived from displacement, map, maf and rpm. its just physics. its not a mystical number. I've repeated mine with complete accuracy lots of times. I just... like are you gonna run that in the arctic circle or WHAT? Dude HEAT! come on now.... Show us those EGTs and injector temps.

give it a try:

https://atgtraining.com/atg-volumetr...cy-calculator/

Ethanol (E85) has almost a 3X higher heat of evaporation over gasoline, raising volumetric efficiency dramatically.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----

Last edited by cooper1965; 10-12-2019 at 09:23 AM.
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote