Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
If you're serious about a BMW M car, the M2 Competition is the only way to go. Easily tunable to over 500 RWHP and more fun than the M4.
Or you could get an m4 gts, which is probably more fun and more collectable

https://www.auto.com/cars/bmw-m4-gts...4s9c5xgk579030

M4 gts had its price ruined by poor reviews, specifically by jeremy clarkson. It’s a steal now. All the negative reviews were focused on the price.
Basically, it’s not so awesome at $140k
But @ $75k, it’s curb stomping a m2 comp in what you get for your money
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post

M4 gts had its price ruined by poor reviews, specifically by jeremy clarkson. It’s a steal now. All the negative reviews were focused on the price.
Still 10 grand more than what I spec'd my brand new M2 Competition for.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
Still 10 grand more than what I spec'd my brand new M2 Competition for.
And no back seats. Even if they are small, I still need them for my daughter.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #18
minn19

Quote:

I don't think it was ruined by reviews, it was ruined by a ridiculous MSRP to performance equation. When you are within spitting distance of a Porsche GT3 and over many other 911 variants that are faster etc was the problem IMO. Not to mention a SS with the 1LE pack isn't far behind it in lap times on most tracks drivers being equal.

I do agree though at used prices, 70-80k is a hell of a deal for what you get at those prices.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Fyi a buddy also bought a gt3

One thing I never realized about them. The msrp is basically just a joke. Nobody buys them for msrp. It’s a $200k car
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #20
minn19

Quote:
Fyi a buddy also bought a gt3

One thing I never realized about them. The msrp is basically just a joke. Nobody buys them for msrp. It’s a $200k car
Yup, I was looking at a lightly used one in 2017 and it was still a little over 150k with no negotiation on price. I still would've bought that over an M4 GTS for 135k though. Either way I've never been able to wrap my head around paying that much for one them for an incremental increase in performance over cars like the ZLE and GT350s.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I've had multiple versions of the M3/4 (Civic, ZCP) and most recently just got out of a M4 CS. Granted I have a ZLE, but I would disagree with nearly everything you said except about the interior. Even the M3/4s have plenty of plastic etc in the "top shelf german quality." Also plenty of rattles, cracks, pops and especially the common door seal squeak on the M3s. If you want top shelf interior go MB or Porsche and pay the $$$.

The CS was the best steering of the bunch and that finally completely got rid of the dead spot on center feel (the ZCP almost did), but I don't get the 10X better comment. Nor the handling comment. Again I have a 1LE, but I test drove the regular ZL1s and they felt like they were more planted than even my CS at speed etc.

The brakes is where I 100% disagree with you. Unless you had CCBs there is no contest between the steel brake setups in either feel or stopping power. Maybe you prefer a softer pedal I dunno? I certainly don't and everyone of my M3/4s had a soft pedal and most recently at a track day with my CS they faded badly 10 minutes into a session.

Agreed about seat comfort, the Camaro seats are much more comfy, but last I definitely disagree with the M4 worth the money comment over the Camaro. Unless you got a steal like I did on my CS and ZCP. The market has spoken and the M3/4 ZCPs and especially the CSs can be had for huge discounts. There is much more substance in the SS, 1LE/ZL1 Camaros (at least for what I care about) than there is in the current M3/4s.

It sounds like I'm bashing on the M3/4 and I am not as they are awesome/supremely capable cars. Even in the acceleration contest, I think if one raced a DCT CS they'd be surprised how close it would hang with a ZL1. But, every single one including the CS left me disappointed and wanting more. Had my GT350(s) not been giant pieces of shit/headaches, I would've never went back to the F8X platform. I'm obviously hoping my ZLE isn't as I love this car for what it is and I'm not sure what I would try next.

To each his own as these are emotional purchases and everyone has different like/dislikes or what they find important in their cars.
I too, would also disagree with the OP on almost all accounts.

although slightly different versions, my comparison and experience is from a '16 M3 and 18' SS 1LE

I will try to keep this short. In stock form, the ONLY things that the M3 did better than the SS 1LE are the drive-train (DCT and the turbo 6 was awesome, with explosive power, albeit fighting for traction all the time) and the rear-end hard mounted to the chassis for a more direct feel. This was fixed in the SS 1LE with the ZLE rear cradle bushings swap and is a non-issue in the ZLE

In all other areas, the SS 1LE (not even talking about the ZLE here) killed the M3 at.

Braking: M3 was a joke, vibrations and soft pedal (I went thru 4 warranty claims in 3 years) SS 1LE has a track worthy braking system (just add racing fluid)

Suspension: M3 was a joke here too. rebound shock tuning was awful and the rear-end was all over the place and would get unsettled mid-corner with and bumps.

Traction/stability control: Again, M3 was a joke, it fights you all the way and cuts in (even in MDM mode WAY too soon (probably due to the poor shock tuning that would get it out of sorts quick) BMW can't even begin to touch the PTM systems in the Camaro/Corvette.

Interior: My M3 was horrible, all 4 door seals creaked, 2 full warranty claims to replace all seals, they ended up 3Ming all 4 doors to make it stop. After 1.25 years of having the SS 1LE, it is still quieter (not silent anymore, but close) than the M3 ever was.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote