Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
I4 turbo thoughts

Just sold my 3rd 5th gen this morning, this one to Carvana due to a stupid high offer I could not refuse. I've had 3rd 4th and 5th gens, show cars, track cars and daily drivers. I'm now looking for a 6th gen DD, as long as there's no salt on the streets, the car will be driven.

So initially, I was thinking M6 V6. But I'm now thinking the even lighter M6 I4 turbo. May get an extra set of tires for autox once in a while, but not my main focus. Out of state trips with the wife and fair weather driver is more of my focus. I appreciate the 1LE suggestions for the I4 or V6, but not for this car. Loved my 1LE, but the extra cost and ride of the package isn't worth it for my needs.

Avoid the I4? Fun car as a DD? Your advice is appreciated.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
My feelings are if keeping it stock then the V6 for sure, but if you want to mod it then the turbo 4. I have a 2018 V6 myself with the RS package. Threw on a axle back and cold air intake for some added noise, and am very happy with it
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
My feelings are if keeping it stock then the V6 for sure, but if you want to mod it then the turbo 4
Thank you. I'm a supercharger guy, that's what I have known. Never owned a turbo, but pleasantly surprised with numbers I'm finding with just tunes on these turbos. I will likely get it tuned or... in any case, won't be bone stock for long, but nothing crazy that may either jeopardize driveability or reliability
Old 06-15-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
Garbage, poser, more pathetic than the pathetic v6.
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #5
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCBJ View Post
I’m looking for advice, not bs. Garbage, poser... vs the V8? I have 2 V8s now, one pushing 750hp. I’m interested in a daily driver. Nothing constructive to add, please move along
Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #6
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I concur that V6 is better if you want to keep it stock, while 2.0T is better if you want to tune.

Buddy has a GTI I drove before. He got it tuned to 300-ish HP with a canned tune and I actually thought it was pretty fun. With a 2.0T Camaro, that would be fun, too, particularly in 1LE form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCBJ View Post
The obvious "Randy Pobst has a 2.0T 1LE" aside, some tuned I4 engines can spank our NA V8s pretty good nowadays. With a race tune, you can run those 2.0T engines at such high boosts that they can keep up with the V8s pretty well, though at that point, you would have to replace the turbos on a regular basis. Bonus that the 2.0T Camaro's are better balanced in terms of weight distribution. It's not a good pony car, but it's a good sports car.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...r-cylinder-ca/

I personally prefer a bigger NA engine as well, but these turbocharged engines are far from pathetic and garbage, especially when tuned properly.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #7
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Zob View Post
Thank you. I'm a supercharger guy, that's what I have known. Never owned a turbo, but pleasantly surprised with numbers I'm finding with just tunes on these turbos. I will likely get it tuned or... in any case, won't be bone stock for long, but nothing crazy that may either jeopardize driveability or reliability
Gotcha. Turbos definitely have some drawbacks, but a good tune will eliminate a lot of that. I think a tuned turbo 4 with a couple tasteful mods would be surprisingly fun. BTW I see you're in Michigan as well. If you're ever interested in tuning I have a guy who is awesome. I have a 700 hp LS1 style Camaro as well, and it was a pita to get the tune spot on, but this guy I use now did a fantastic job
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:53 PM   #8
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Just sold my 3rd 5th gen this morning, this one to Carvana due to a stupid high offer I could not refuse. I've had 3rd 4th and 5th gens, show cars, track cars and daily drivers. I'm now looking for a 6th gen DD, as long as there's no salt on the streets, the car will be driven.

So initially, I was thinking M6 V6. But I'm now thinking the even lighter M6 I4 turbo. May get an extra set of tires for autox once in a while, but not my main focus. Out of state trips with the wife and fair weather driver is more of my focus. I appreciate the 1LE suggestions for the I4 or V6, but not for this car. Loved my 1LE, but the extra cost and ride of the package isn't worth it for my needs.

I've only driven my SS (M6) and a rental convertible with the 2.0T engine w/ 8AT. The base engine is surprisingly good! With that said, I'd personally test drive both before making a decision if you're able to find them at dealer lots locally. I suspect it might be hard to find manuals though.

Without driving each for a comparison, I'd probably err towards the V6 since regular fuel is required (vs. premium for the 2.0T) and maybe a slight performance advantage / more linear power delivery.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:02 PM   #9
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Wow. Why would someone pay top dollar for a 5th gen if buying a USED car? They're plastic, slower, not refined. Like why would someone in the market for one overpay for a 2015 SS when you can get a 2016 that's faster and better?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:10 PM   #10
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I concur that V6 is better if you want to keep it stock, while 2.0T is better if you want to tune.

Buddy has a GTI I drove before. He got it tuned to 300-ish HP with a canned tune and I actually thought it was pretty fun. With a 2.0T Camaro, that would be fun, too, particularly in 1LE form.

The obvious "Randy Pobst has a 2.0T 1LE" aside, some tuned I4 engines can spank our NA V8s pretty good nowadays. With a race tune, you can run those 2.0T engines at such high boosts that they can keep up with the V8s pretty well, though at that point, you would have to replace the turbos on a regular basis. Bonus that the 2.0T Camaro's are better balanced in terms of weight distribution. It's not a good pony car, but it's a good sports car.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...r-cylinder-ca/

I personally prefer a bigger NA engine as well, but these turbocharged engines are far from pathetic and garbage, especially when tuned properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Gotcha. Turbos definitely have some drawbacks, but a good tune will eliminate a lot of that. I think a tuned turbo 4 with a couple tasteful mods would be surprisingly fun. BTW I see you're in Michigan as well. If you're ever interested in tuning I have a guy who is awesome. I have a 700 hp LS1 style Camaro as well, and it was a pita to get the tune spot on, but this guy I use now did a fantastic job
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I've only driven my SS (M6) and a rental convertible with the 2.0T engine w/ 8AT. The base engine is surprisingly good! With that said, I'd personally test drive both before making a decision if you're able to find them at dealer lots locally. I suspect it might be hard to find manuals though.

Without driving each for a comparison, I'd probably err towards the V6 since regular fuel is required (vs. premium for the 2.0T) and maybe a slight performance advantage / more linear power delivery.
Thank you guys, and I’ll likely reach out to you HCI once I find the car I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Wow. Why would someone pay top dollar for a 5th gen if buying a USED car? They're plastic, slower, not refined. Like why would someone in the market for one overpay for a 2015 SS when you can get a 2016 that's faster and better?
I’m not asking questions, just pocketing a healthy profit thanks to the good folks at Carvana. No idea who they’re going to sell it to for more than they paid me, but not my concern.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:27 PM   #11
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
I don't know what the price differential is between the I4 and V6, but regardless it sounds like a M6 I4 2LT or 3LT would be a great daily for you. More torque and tunability than the V6 for around town grunt. The only reason to consider the V6 is if you like a more sonorous exhaust note (especially with the NPP exhaust), or prefer a linear NA powerband.

Regular vs premium gas probably makes little difference in overall cost. I put premium in my V6 since it is primarily driven on track which probably also explains why my lifetime average mpg in my V6 is 17 mpg which is less than most V8 drivers.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I have a 2015 Malibu LTZ with the 2.0 Turbo, the same engine in the Camaro, and at 3600 lbs, it's close to a Camaro's weight.
Not sure which auto trans the Camaro would have, but the trans in my Malibu is a 6-speed.

As a daily driver, this car is wonderful. If I feel the need for speed, I just pull my 2013 ZL1 convertible out for a while and row some gears.

Best of both worlds for me.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:54 PM   #13
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Thank you guys, and I’ll likely reach out to you HCI once I find the car I like.

I’m not asking questions, just pocketing a healthy profit thanks to the good folks at Carvana. No idea who they’re going to sell it to for more than they paid me, but not my concern.

I really do think Carvana, Carmax, Vroom are doing that in order to dominate the used car market and eat up the inventory. If they own a BIG chunk of the inventory they can then overprice their cars even more and set the market price. I don't know if they will always offer crazy money though because of the thin thin profit margins. Like I said probably trying to get a strangle hold on inventory. Because as I said in other threads their sticker prices on their cars is a joke compared to a regular car lot same car, thousands cheaper, less miles.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:33 AM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
i tried a 2016 before i bought my 2015.at 6 ft2 and 230# the 6th gen interior is a little cramped compared to the 5th gen.price was basically a wash in 2016 and since my car was a CPO i had a good warranty.i didnt really like the idea of the 2.0 turbo as far as long term reliability goes,and liked the blue metallic paint and 2LT trim package on the 2015 better than the colors offered in 2016.back to the point of this thread,if youre keeping it stock get the V6,but if you are going to mod it buy the T4.i had one as a weekend loaner and it was quicker than i thought it would be but the exhaust note was agricultural.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote