Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #29
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Why do you think muscle cars wouldn't sell today like they did in 1968?
Because they aren’t selling now. Several outstanding choices including the Camaro and NO ONE is buying them. So if you think brining back big block Chevelles, El Caminos and Buick’s magically fixes that please share what you are smoking.

If there were a dime to be made somebody would be doing it.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #30
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Probably explains why they didn't even put a manual in the current C8. WTF is that all about.

GM has had issues for years now and the way it's ran.
It's because Corvette engineers believe the Auto is far superior to the manual and would take away from the performance. It was a performance based decision.
dpevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #31
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Because they aren’t selling now. Several outstanding choices including the Camaro and NO ONE is buying them. So if you think brining back big block Chevelles, El Caminos and Buick’s magically fixes that please share what you are smoking.

Agreed, folks here on the forum may like the idea but it would be a terrible business move.

Like it or not the future is electric at this point so I would rather see GM build a kick ass EV sports coupe. If we are going to be stuck with AFM, start-stop, no manual transmission, gas guzzler taxes, etc. then for get it. Instead just build RWD EV sports coupe with about 600hp/600tq, 300 mile range battery, mag-ride suspension and the ability to relax the nannies and call it a day. An EV like that will accelerate to 60mph in under 3.0 sec, pin you in the seat and handle like it is on rails. GM could sell something like that for less than $50k if they wanted.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #32
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Agreed, folks here on the forum may like the idea but it would be a terrible business move.

Like it or not the future is electric at this point so I would rather see GM build a kick ass EV sports coupe. If we are going to be stuck with AFM, start-stop, no manual transmission, gas guzzler taxes, etc. then for get it. Instead just build RWD EV sports coupe with about 600hp/600tq, 300 mile range battery, mag-ride suspension and the ability to relax the nannies and call it a day. An EV like that will accelerate to 60mph in under 3.0 sec, pin you in the seat and handle like it is on rails. GM could sell something like that for less than $50k if they wanted.

Or get the right people in congress and repeal this stupid stuff.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #33
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:

Why do you think muscle cars are no long popular except for the niche audiences?
Old 06-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post

My hope is GM launches an EV Sporty Coupe (sacraledge but that’s is what the Camaro is) that redefines the segment and thumbs it’s nose at the Mustang Mach E

Quote:
Why do you think muscle cars are no long popular except for the niche audiences?
No clue, but likely it isn’t the 60s any more
Old 06-15-2021, 09:36 PM   #35
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
My hope is GM launches an EV Sporty Coupe (sacraledge but that’s is what the Camaro is) that redefines the segment and thumbs it’s nose at the Mustang Mach E

No clue, but likely it isn’t the 60s any more

people don't want a fast car except for the few like us, and the few who can afford the expensive euro sports cars?
Old 06-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #36
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
people don't want a fast car except for the few like us, and the few who can afford the expensive euro sports cars?
There are a lot of awesome cars if your budget exceeds $100,000, but that is beyond the spirit of Muscle Car.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #37
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
I think part of the reason is that regular sedans / SUVs have closed the gap substantially from a performance standpoint while also being very practical family vehicles. To make things worse, I think car prices have increased at a much higher rate than average salaries making it harder to justify buying a relatively impractical toy (2nd or 3rd car) that's expensive.

For example, look at the performance stats on a "run of the mill" 2018 Honda Accord:
Those are basically LS1 F-body performance #s in a practical family sedan (or close enough)! At some point, performance levels reach a point of diminishing returns for street use so people aren't going to pay more for something they don't see the value in - especially if the added performance capability requires buying a 2nd car due to it being impractical.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:00 PM   #38
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I think part of the reason is that regular sedans / SUVs have closed the gap substantially from a performance standpoint while also being very practical family vehicles. To make things worse, I think car prices have increased at a much higher rate than average salaries making it harder to justify buying a relatively impractical toy (2nd or 3rd car) that's expensive.

For example, look at the performance stats on a "run of the mill" 2018 Honda Accord:
Those are basically LS1 F-body performance #s in a practical family sedan (or close enough)! At some point, performance levels reach a point of diminishing returns for street use so people aren't going to pay more for something they don't see the value in - especially if the added performance capability requires buying a 2nd car due to it being impractical.

When my dad got out of Nam in 69 he bought a brand new GTO and that was his daily driver. Mom at the time drove a small block Camaro.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #39
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
They do love carrying the bigger cars though. Here in SWFL it's an older population and they like the big cars such as SUVs. Tampa and Orlando have a lot more mustangs and Camaros on the lots.
Despite common usage, SUVs are not "cars" any more than minivans are "cars". Malibu is a car . . . so far, anyway.

Norm
Old 06-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #40
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:

dodge seems to have that market pretty well covered.an older platform,but engine choices from V6 to great god amighty,cooler colors and better advertising.yeah,dodge gets it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 AM   #41
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
When my dad got out of Nam in 69 he bought a brand new GTO and that was his daily driver. Mom at the time drove a small block Camaro.
well yeah.when i moved to florida i found and restored a 1966 tempest and 67 mustang,drove them for 25 years.sounds like your dad is about 8 years older than i am,but many in the younger generation have different priorities.a fancy cell phone and a new mini SUV is what they want.at least there are a few guys like you that will carry the torch when we are dead.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #42
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
You think the only reason GM is making SUVs is because it's what they want? LOL, it's because it's what sells.
At this point they're willing to abandon an entire vehicle segment simply because a different segment is more popular. Popularity does not make SUVs everybody's best option. Or even a good choice, for that matter.

Norm