Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #29
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
I'd say shudder is mostly fixed now. Probably not all the way just because there's still some old fluid in there.
The shudder is not a property of the fluid. It is the result of uneven wear on the clutch plates. Once they are partially worn, and you replace the fluid, the hope is that they start to wear normally again and the bumpy bits even out. Let it go too long, and you can't reverse the process.

Normal transmission fluid has friction modifiers allowing the clutch plates to engage smoothly and then lock. The defective fluid is hygroscopic. The presence of small amounts of water interferes with the engagement of the plates, resulting in a slide-grab-slide-grab type of engagement. It's like putting a bit of dish soap on a slip-and-slide vs. just plain water.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #30
argus

Drives: 18 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT Duramax
Just ran across this thread after getting a transmission fluid flush done on the Camaro this week at 45K miles. No shudder before or after, and wasn't even aware of a TSB until I saw this thread. Granted, I had essentially the same 6.2L and 8 speed in my '15 Sierra 1500, and it was plagued with transmission issues, so much so that I traded it in.

Anyway, I took the Camaro to a dealership I trust and have used for years, same service advisor. As noted earlier in this thread, it's a procedure where they flush using 20 quarts of Dexron HP. Drives as fine as ever now.

BTW I don't mind turning my own wrench, and did so for decades, never having any trust in dealerships. That can change as you get on in years though and time becomes more precious than dollars!
Old 04-30-2023, 09:54 AM   #31
PBB66

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline
Hmm. Yeah I understood it was uneven wear. So you are saying the culprit is the original ATF that Chevy used with the 8L90? And that replacing with the blue Mobil 1 as recommended is the hoped-for solution as, not being hygroscopic, it will potentially allow the clutch plates to start wearing more evenly, reducing deterioration and buildup of shavings in the fluid?

That re-tuning the transmission is not entirely necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
The shudder is not a property of the fluid. It is the result of uneven wear on the clutch plates. Once they are partially worn, and you replace the fluid, the hope is that they start to wear normally again and the bumpy bits even out. Let it go too long, and you can't reverse the process.

Normal transmission fluid has friction modifiers allowing the clutch plates to engage smoothly and then lock. The defective fluid is hygroscopic. The presence of small amounts of water interferes with the engagement of the plates, resulting in a slide-grab-slide-grab type of engagement. It's like putting a bit of dish soap on a slip-and-slide vs. just plain water.
PBB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 04:22 PM   #32
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
Generally speaking you want to ATF fluid change at ambient temperature because the replacement fluid is at ambient temps. ATF expands with heat.
I don't know about this transmission because I have a manual, but on my other vehicles I've done a cooler line exchange which pretty much changes all the fluid. The dealer will do this with a machine that pumps in the new fluid. The jist of the DIY version is you drain and service the pan fluid, filter, and refill - then start the vehicle and capture the fluid as it exits the cooler and is heading back into the pan. You can disconnect this line and use a hose to redirect it into a quart marked jug. The challenge with this process is you need to be able to add fluid at the same rate as it is being captured from the cooler return line. I'm not sure this transmission has a fill port in the engine bay. Doing this though, the old fluid never mixes with the new fluid and you then top off and do the normal level check procedure.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:11 AM   #33
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBB66 View Post
Hmm. Yeah I understood it was uneven wear. So you are saying the culprit is the original ATF that Chevy used with the 8L90? And that replacing with the blue Mobil 1 as recommended is the hoped-for solution as, not being hygroscopic, it will potentially allow the clutch plates to start wearing more evenly, reducing deterioration and buildup of shavings in the fluid?

That re-tuning the transmission is not entirely necessary?
Re-tuning not necessary. The fluid change is intended to remove the accumulated water which has, in a way, become part of the ATF. With lubricants, you always hope for the ole "water and oil don't mix" business to keep you out of trouble. But a hygroscopic lubricant actually attracts water, and even small amounts can drastically degrade the fluid. All the chemical engineering intended to make things slip and slide off the parts and each other goes out the window.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:39 AM   #34
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
There is a section on this site pertain to transmissions.