Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I failed at big worm graphix

I ordered metallic silver hood spears and rocker stripes with the RS logo.

I failed at the hood spears.

I waited 6 months and tried the rocker stripes and failed at those.

Pretty tough pill to swallow, wasting $175.

I couldn't get the hood spears straight and one had a wrinkle. I ended up peeling them and throwing them away.

I tried the rocker stripes tonight. I started with the fender stripe that had the RS. I guess I just didn't get it straight and peeled it too soon. Once you peel the decal with the RS, there's no way I was ever going to get the RS letters straight again. I peeled it off and trashed it.

I don't know how you guys do it. DIY Big worm graphix is not for me. I am not precise enough I guess.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #2
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Applying decals takes time and patience lesson learned but the key to applying decals is 50 / 50 water / alcohol solution this allows you to slide the decal around and get it to where you want it and work out the air and water bubbles. The alcohol will help the water dissolve, once you apply decals and you have it exactly where you want it and worked out the water let the decal sit out in the sun to help bake and evaporate the water trapped under the decal.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
organgrinder

Drives: 55 nomad
Ya that's the deal...lots of soapy water and don't be in a hurry. I only use a couple of tbls of alcohol but keep it very soapy. As long as you keep the car and decal wet you can move as much as you want. Smooth it out by hand then use the squeegee a little at a time. Also be sure the surface you're applying the decal to is not hot or even warm or it will cause the soapy solution to evaporate too quick.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
KirkH

But the instructions said do not use soap or alcohol.....
Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I have two fender hashs sitting on my table... and I thought I could do it, but once I got started I realized that was way beyond my meager abilities.

You ain't alone, Kirk.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
I have two fender hashs sitting on my table... and I thought I could do it, but once I got started I realized that was way beyond my meager abilities.

You ain't alone, Kirk.
Thanks. I was wondering if I was the only one.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I don't have any idea what "big worm" has to do with it...you're talking about all decals. I don't think it's right that you name them as a problem, Where the problem is your installation method. All these decals should go on with the wet application. Two drops of dish soap in a spray bottle of water, spray both sides down, move it around, squeegee it out, it's that simple.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I don't have any idea what "big worm" has to do with it...you're talking about all decals. I don't think it's right that you name them as a problem, Where the problem is your installation method. All these decals should go on with the wet application. Two drops of dish soap in a spray bottle of water, spray both sides down, move it around, squeegee it out, it's that simple.
Except that big worm's instructions explicitly say NO SOAP.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
soapy water for sure. i wonder why they say not to use that? soapy water makes pros out of amateurs!

I did have a hard time with the SS inlays though, those are a pain!
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Except that big worm's instructions explicitly say NO SOAP.
Yet their videos use a wet application:

https://youtu.be/sx5qxji7Cqo
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
KirkH

Instructions say "no soap or Windex"

Caveat emptor
Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #12
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
Correct, no soap. Use more water instead. A lot of soap nowadays has skin moisturizers which causes adhesion problems within a couple of months. Sometimes you can get away with it, but we do not recommend using soap. Alcohol is the same, too much will ruin the stripes but you can get away with a small amount if you know what your doing. Plain water you can use as much as you want with no negative effects, you will just slow down the drying time (which is the same as alcohol or soap just takes more).

Works best to align and position everything with the backing in place, use masking tape to position stripes. Then use small masking tape sections to mark where the stripes should go on the edges (like in the pictures from our instructions posted above). That way you can measure stripes, move them around or even take the car outside and look at a distance. Then once they are positioned where you want you stick them down.
bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #13
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Never used soap or alcohol putting mine on, just excess water. If anything the only pain I had was my OCD with keeping things straight/matching each side. I probably pulled some edges off several times. I know what the OP is describing with the letters on the rocker strip. But all I did was slowly straighten the letters back out. It really is a patience thing. That said I started small with blackout kits to get the hang of vinyl. Then worked my way to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwormgraphix View Post

Works best to align and position everything with the backing in place, use masking tape to position stripes. Then use small masking tape sections to mark where the stripes should go on the edges (like in the pictures from our instructions posted above). That way you can measure stripes, move them around or even take the car outside and look at a distance. Then once they are positioned where you want you stick them down.
Exactly what I did. For the hash marks I actually left them taped onto the car overnight to help bend them into position. Made the install much easier.
Attached Images

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
organgrinder

Drives: 55 nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwormgraphix View Post
Correct, no soap. Use more water instead. A lot of soap nowadays has skin moisturizers which causes adhesion problems within a couple of months. Sometimes you can get away with it, but we do not recommend using soap. Alcohol is the same, too much will ruin the stripes but you can get away with a small amount if you know what your doing. Plain water you can use as much as you want with no negative effects, you will just slow down the drying time (which is the same as alcohol or soap just takes more).

well...there ya go. straight from the horses/big worm's mouth...lol. he would certainly know more than me about his own stuff. it's obvious he's doing it right. at least I got the keep it wet part right...lol