Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #43
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
or you can give up 10 whp and save yourself $650 by reusing the stock throttle body. LT2 manifolds are $214 from summit.
214 is for a manifold that fits an LT2 engine, and not on an LT1 engine when you pull it out of the box, right?

LT2 that is actually ready to bolt onto an LT1 engine and have the car run/drive, with no porting work and no t/b adapter (keep stock 87 t/b) is 374 at GPI. That's the cheap method, and that's ok if you only want a small performance gain. However, I prefer more BANG in my bang-for-buck, so I consider a real 95 setup as the minimum for bolt-ons if you're paying for a new manifold, with what I know now.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:50 AM   #44
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Is this station close enough to jump on the E85 upgrade?

Race Trac
840 Church St. NW
Marietta, Georgia 30060

I ask because knowing what I know now I’d buy:

1) LT2 manifold ready to bolt on with adapter ($443 - GPI or used)
2) 95mm TB ($179 - Rock Auto)
3) E85 kit ($399 - Jannetty)

$1021 total.

Pay someone to put it on the car if you can’t.

If you can’t get in until September for tuning, use onE of the sponsored vendors for remote tuning. You’ll learn more about logging your car, saving tunes and writing tunes. Plus you’ll be within your budget.

This will give your the best bang for your money spent.

I know there are no headers or RF in the list but this would get you started until round 2 of upgrades.
DIY E85 Flex Fuel kit at wild hammer is $245. Same kit I have.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #45
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
214 is for a manifold that fits an LT2 engine, and not on an LT1 engine when you pull it out of the box, right?

LT2 that is actually ready to bolt onto an LT1 engine and have the car run/drive, with no porting work and no t/b adapter (keep stock 87 t/b) is 374 at GPI. That's the cheap method, and that's ok if you only want a small performance gain. However, I prefer more BANG in my bang-for-buck, so I consider a real 95 setup as the minimum for bolt-ons if you're paying for a new manifold, with what I know now.
it took me less than 30 minutes & $40 to make my LT2 ready to bolt on my car. i factored that into the price difference.

bang for your buck and ported stock parts do not go hand in hand on an otherwise stock engine.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #46
ericsmith881

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Quote:
title of the thread is best way to spend 3-4k. last post showing 6-7500. so which is it?
I'm still looking to stay in the $3k-$4k. I presumed I could at least get headers and a tune on the car for that price, but the quotes I'm getting back are $6k-$7500, hence my questions. It seems ludicrously expensive. I'm literally getting quotes of $1500 to install the headers (that DOES NOT include the headers, mind you). The $600-$700 tune is reasonable but the header install cost just seems nuts for something that everyone says is not an overly difficult install. When you couple that with Vengeance's insistence on using Kooks ($1900 uncoated, add about $800 for Jet Hot coating), it blows the budget immediately.

Quote:
i would opt out of the "180 t stat". the factory tstat in my 18 1LE holds coolant temps at 178 while going down the road. i imagine the ss is the same.
I tend to agree.

Quote:
i did 2" speed engineering headers on my car, worst part is the x pipe. the headers are great, been on there over 2 years and 20k miles.

unless you have baby hands, you'll want to remove things like the coolant tank & coils, steering shaft etc during install. there is very little room. it makes things easier and lessens the chance of breaking something else.

if you buy speed engineering headers i highly suggest you get v bands on them prior to installation. unless youre good with a welder, you'll need to find someone to install the v bands and cut/modify the exhaust for you.
Never having installed headers myself, can you illuminate me as to what a "v band" is?
ericsmith881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #47
ericsmith881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Is this station close enough to jump on the E85 upgrade?

Race Trac
840 Church St. NW
Marietta, Georgia 30060
The E85 thing is not attractive to me because this is not a track car; it's a daily driver. So unless I plan on motoring around on E85 all the time (and I will not do that for cost/mileage/convenience reasons) it's of almost no use to me. The extra oomph needs to be there whenever I feel like putting my right foot down, not just when I planned ahead and put in a tank of E85 "just in case."

I get that it's a cheap, easy way to add power. It's the "extra" costs that come along with it that make it a non-starter for me.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #48
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsmith881 View Post
The E85 thing is not attractive to me because this is not a track car; it's a daily driver. So unless I plan on motoring around on E85 all the time (and I will not do that for cost/mileage/convenience reasons) it's of almost no use to me. The extra oomph needs to be there whenever I feel like putting my right foot down, not just when I planned ahead and put in a tank of E85 "just in case."

I get that it's a cheap, easy way to add power. It's the "extra" costs that come along with it that make it a non-starter for me.

You can afford $6.10/gallon?

I fill up for $4.35/gallon at shell with gas rewards on E85.

GRANTED: You don't want to run E85 in the winter where I am.

I guess I need a better job lol

Honestly when there is a price difference like that for 93 vs E85 gas mileage becomes irrelevant. It is actually cheaper to use E85 than it is to fill $6.10/gallon of 93.

The difference per tank is maybe 100 miles at best, and I average about 15-18mpg on E85 and I drive 60miles / day for work Which is almost 5 days per tank, on 93, I can run 5 days as well, but the extra $40/tank adds up fast.

$40 of E85 is another 180 miles or 1/2 a tank.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 06-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #49
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I'm still looking to stay in the $3k-$4k. I presumed I could at least get headers and a tune on the car for that price, but the quotes I'm getting back are $6k-$7500, hence my questions. It seems ludicrously expensive. I'm literally getting quotes of $1500 to install the headers (that DOES NOT include the headers, mind you). The $600-$700 tune is reasonable but the header install cost just seems nuts for something that everyone says is not an overly difficult install. When you couple that with Vengeance's insistence on using Kooks ($1900 uncoated, add about $800 for Jet Hot coating), it blows the budget immediately.
That's ridiculous man, no way I would pay that much for a headers, install and tune package.

Is this your daily driver? I know costs have gone up and 6th Gen is more to mod as it is, so I plan to do as much as I can myself if I have to. I have the luxury this time around that this won't be my daily, so if it sits a few days as I figure things out that is okay. I would have to look, but there was a thread recently where someone said they installed Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers and all he had to remove was the valve cover on the passenger side I think, said they dropped right in no problem.

I am also pretty lucky here in Houston, I may not get a shop warranty(I dont care) but plenty of great shops here will install some Texas Speed or Stainless Power headers for me to help save coin on parts without a fuss.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #50
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
That's ridiculous man, no way I would pay that much for a headers, install and tune package.

Is this your daily driver? I know costs have gone up and 6th Gen is more to mod as it is, so I plan to do as much as I can myself if I have to. I have the luxury this time around that this won't be my daily, so if it sits a few days as I figure things out that is okay. I would have to look, but there was a thread recently where someone said they installed Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers and all he had to remove was the valve cover on the passenger side I think, said they dropped right in no problem.

I am also pretty lucky here in Houston, I may not get a shop warranty(I dont care) but plenty of great shops here will install some Texas Speed or Stainless Power headers for me to help save coin on parts without a fuss.
I really want to move to Texas.

Everything is more fun in Texas.

Weather, Cars, Car Shops, Steak, Internet, Womens

Just afraid it will be just as hard to find a job there as it is here. Only thing keeping me from taking the plunge
Old 06-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #51
ericsmith881

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post

You can afford $6.10/gallon?

I fill up for $4.35/gallon at shell with gas rewards on E85.

GRANTED: You don't want to run E85 in the winter where I am.

I guess I need a better job lol

Honestly when there is a price difference like that for 93 vs E85 gas mileage becomes irrelevant. It is actually cheaper to use E85 than it is to fill $6.10/gallon of 93.

The difference per tank is maybe 100 miles at best, and I average about 15-18mpg on E85 and I drive 60miles / day for work Which is almost 5 days per tank, on 93, I can run 5 days as well, but the extra $40/tank adds up fast.

$40 of E85 is another 180 miles or 1/2 a tank.
There's more to "cost" than just the fuel. E85 isn't available everywhere. I'd have to drive significantly out of my way to fill up at the few places that offer it.

Suffice to say, I'm not going to consider it. I'd rather pay a bit more up front, have the power whenever I want it and the flexibility to fill up anywhere, anytime, without other considerations. I appreciate you having a differing opinion. To each their own.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #52
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
I really want to move to Texas.

Everything is more fun in Texas.

Weather, Cars, Car Shops, Steak, Internet, Womens

Just afraid it will be just as hard to find a job there as it is here. Only thing keeping me from taking the plunge
I have lived all over the world from Africa to Asia and back here again, and I have to say Houston is a real gem of a place and Texas is a great state.

It's not very pretty in Houston, but that IMO is the only box this city doesn't check.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:22 PM   #53
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
if we're being honest, i wouldn't bother with headers or an expensive intake manifold like msd if you don't plan on doing a camshaft somewhere down the line. they are a very poor return for the investment on a bolt on car.

it sucks you're against ethanol. it is a huge advantage in several ways, especially down south in the heat. even a bolt on car is a different animal altogether on ethanol vs 93. i remember paying $3.73 for ethanol last week down in your neck of the woods.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:09 PM   #54
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

The suggestions were based on your budget. You’re set on headers and that’s fair enough. Maybe look for a used set, watch some install videos and you’ll most likely get to where you want to be and within your budget.

If you haven’t read Ted’s thread, check it out. Of course this was long before the LT2 option.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472259

Quote:
if we're being honest, i wouldn't bother with headers or an expensive intake manifold like msd if you don't plan on doing a camshaft somewhere down the line. they are a very poor return for the investment on a bolt on car.

it sucks you're against ethanol. it is a huge advantage in several ways, especially down south in the heat. even a bolt on car is a different animal altogether on ethanol vs 93. i remember paying $3.73 for ethanol last week down in your neck of the woods.
well said

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:22 PM   #55
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
You should create a menu of items each of which adds different amounts of HP, e.g.:

Parts costs:

CAI $500
93mm TB $500
Lower pulley $125
Headers $1500
Tune $750

Should cost you in the $3k-4k range and add 50 hp or so

See some good ideas here https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605970
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #56
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I have lived all over the world from Africa to Asia and back here again, and I have to say Houston is a real gem of a place and Texas is a great state.

It's not very pretty in Houston, but that IMO is the only box this city doesn't check.
Ya, more liking the Ft. Worth / Dallas Area myself. Visited there during Quakecon some years ago. Loved the area and drive around Dallas.