Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: LT1 or 1SS 1LE
LT1 34 22.97%
1SS 1LE 114 77.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #15
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
you can buy an LT1 and spend money mocking a 1LE, or you can buy a 1LE.

consider retail, as well. the ss 1LE is very tame, dailying the car wouldn't be an issue. saying it's "too much for the street" is comical. my mother could drive this car to ceramics class.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #16
Camden45

Drives: Chevrolet Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
you can buy an LT1 and spend money mocking a 1LE, or you can buy a 1LE.
Definitely not going to make it more than it is. LT1 will stay an LT1. I don't go to the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
consider retail, as well. the ss 1LE is very tame, dailying the car wouldn't be an issue. saying it's "too much for the street" is comical. my mother could drive this car to ceramics class.

1SS is kind of overkill for my purposes, 1LE even more so. It's a weekend car, but from all the reviews I've watched, yes it rides very nicely and fine for daily duties.

LT1 doesn't look bad at all. Front fascia is questionable, but not "only a mother could love" level, so definitely doable for me. Since I don't track the car, I'm forced to narrow down the reasons for going 1LE will be the aesthetics of the car.

I'm now asking myself, is the looks alone worth $7k to me.

I'm taking out a $40k loan, so the bank account taking a $5.5k hit feels a lot better than a $13k hit. The LT1 will be just a $4k hit if I end up just sticking with the tires that come with it.
Camden45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #17
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
the ss 1LE is very tame, dailying the car wouldn't be an issue. saying it's "too much for the street" is comical. my mother could drive this car to ceramics class.[/QUOTE]

Was this directed at something I had said?

I didn't say the 1LE is too much for the street. Yes, it's very civil for DD. My point was because the traction and handling are so good (limits are so high), there isn't much excitement on curvy roads unless you are really pushing it far beyond legal limits. At that point it's unsafe for the other regular vehicles who might be on the road with you and unsafe for you should accidently depart the road surface (ditches, trees, cliffs, etc). That's one of the reasons BRZs and Miyatas are popular (good handling, but lower limits so you can approach the limits at much lower and safer speeds).
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #18
Camden45

Another thing I have to think about is, the Camaro days are numbered, and I don't really buy used cars.

I don't know if I'm going to kick myself 5 years down the line because I didn't buy the best of the best NA Camaros, or will I be entirely content with the LT1.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #19
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
Definitely not going to make it more than it is. LT1 will stay an LT1. I don't go to the track.

1SS is kind of overkill for my purposes, 1LE even more so. It's a weekend car, but from all the reviews I've watched, yes it rides very nicely and fine for daily duties.

LT1 doesn't look bad at all. Front fascia is questionable, but not "only a mother could love" level, so definitely doable for me. Since I don't track the car, I'm forced to narrow down the reasons for going 1LE will be the aesthetics of the car.

I'm now asking myself, is the looks alone worth $7k to me.

I'm taking out a $40k loan, so the bank account taking a $5.5k hit feels a lot better than a $13k hit. The LT1 will be just a $4k hit if I end up just sticking with the tires that come with it.
You won’t be sticking with the stock 245s and the most you can run on those stock rims is about a 275, most places will only try a 265. You will need aftermarket wheels and tires to safely use your LT1.. even at stoplight nationals lol

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:41 PM   #20
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Another thing I have to think about is, the Camaro days are numbered, and I don't really buy used cars.

I don't know if I'm going to kick myself 5 years down the line because I didn't buy the best of the best NA Camaros, or will I be entirely content with the LT1.
I going tell you honestly that the stock wheels and tires a barely suitable for the chassis and power of the LT1. If you go the LT1 route, plan on saving ~ $3k for an aftermarket wheel / tire upgrade. You’ll experience a whole different driving dynamic, in particular with wider stickier summer tires.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:44 PM   #21
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
You won’t be sticking with the stock 245s and the most you can run on those stock rims is about a 275, most places will only try a 265. You will need aftermarket wheels and tires to safely use your LT1.. even at stoplight nationals lol
You're probably right. I'd probably be disgusted with the performance of the so-called Prius tires that comes stock.

I think I'm leaning back towards the 1LE(plus the lot of you are all voting for it). I'm buying the car to treat myself, and at the end of the day, $7k extra is doable. I was just imagining myself driving both and obviously taking the 1LE will be way more of an occasion and special feeling than a LT1.

I can't get over how good the 1LE looks, and I want to LOVE the way my car looks. I don't feel that when I look at the LT1. It doesn't conjure up the same warm fuzzy feelings.

If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. **** it that I won't fully use it to it's full capabilities. But you guys all know that dumbass feeling we get in these situations: Yea I can't use it fully. But I like that I always have the option to.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:11 PM   #22
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Yes. Lol

I never try to make the car more than it is. Everyone knows in the world of car enthusiasts, that's one of the worst ways to spend money you'll never get back.
Well that's it isn't it? The SS1LE is perfect for me, no need to enhance it any more than it came from the factory. I think people that say it's overkill have nver driven a ZL11LE! Mag ride is very civilized especially with the settings. Not that your tracking the car ,but if you order consider springing for the copper free pads option ($500) and you'll get the ZL11LE brakes without the teeth chattering DSSV dampers. Like stated these are the last days of a really cool platform that's going away..don't be the guy that regrets spending a ilttle more for a very special car IMO.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:13 PM   #23
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Well that's it isn't it? The SS1LE is perfect for me, no need to enhance it any more than it came from the factory. I think people that say it's overkill have nver driven a ZL11LE! Mag ride is very civilized especially with the settings. Not that your tracking the car ,but if you order consider springing for the copper free pads option ($500) and you'll get the ZL11LE brakes without the teeth chattering DSSV dampers. Like stated these are the last days of a really cool platform that's going away..don't be the guy that regrets spending a ilttle more for a very special car IMO.
I live in Cali, for 1SS and up, those brakes are mandatory. Which is a very good thing in this case.

But yea, 1LE would need absolutely nothing. Except that front end is a pain for PPF installers and only a couple, not even a handful, of shops can wrap the front bumper in one piece. Everyone else doesn't have the special skills to do it, and all these shops are all highly rated and reputable. Just that detail is costing me an extra $1k.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #24
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
I’ve owned many cars from 3rd gens to vettes to M cars. The 1LE is the first car where I’m happy with everything and no plans to mod. Everything just works well together and I’m content. The extra money up front on the 1LE saves much more on the backend on unneeded upgrades. It’s an odd feeling

Also, as a side note, interest rates are sooo low, why the high down payment? With high inflation and cheap rates, I’d finance 100% assuming you have top tier credit.

Last edited by pzoom; 05-28-2022 at 10:28 PM.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:27 PM   #25
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzoom View Post
I’ve owned many cars from 3rd gens to vettes to M cars. The 1LE is the first car where I’m happy with everything and no plans to mod. Everything just works well together and I’m content. The extra money up front on the 1LE saves much more on the backend on unneeded upgrades. It’s an odd feeling

Also, as a side note, interest rates are sooo low, why the high down payment? With high inflation and cheap rates, I’d finance 100%.
Rates Were low. Can't find anything better than 3-4% with top tier credit. I'm hoping GM will extend their 1.9% interest program into June at least.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:30 PM   #26
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
You're probably right. I'd probably be disgusted with the performance of the so-called Prius tires that comes stock.

I think I'm leaning back towards the 1LE(plus the lot of you are all voting for it). I'm buying the car to treat myself, and at the end of the day, $7k extra is doable. I was just imagining myself driving both and obviously taking the 1LE will be way more of an occasion and special feeling than a LT1.

I can't get over how good the 1LE looks, and I want to LOVE the way my car looks. I don't feel that when I look at the LT1. It doesn't conjure up the same warm fuzzy feelings.

If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. **** it that I won't fully use it to it's full capabilities. But you guys all know that dumbass feeling we get in these situations: Yea I can't use it fully. But I like that I always have the option to.
This right there makes me say you should buy the 1LE or you'll live with a constant regret. The extra cost you will forget in no time, but the car you'll be looking at several times probably every single day.

Very-very few of us with a V8 Camaro can "fully" use the car's capabilities, and nobody cares, better to have reserves and never use them than not having the capabilities the 0.01% of the time you actually need them

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:46 PM   #27
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I going tell you honestly that the stock wheels and tires a barely suitable for the chassis and power of the LT1. If you go the LT1 route, plan on saving ~ $3k for an aftermarket wheel / tire upgrade. You’ll experience a whole different driving dynamic, in particular with wider stickier summer tires.
Yea, I was lying to myself the stock set up would be usable the way I want to use it. It's going to need at least that much with a good wheel/tire set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This right there makes me say you should buy the 1LE or you'll live with a constant regret. The extra cost you will forget in no time, but the car you'll be looking at several times probably every single day.

Very-very few of us with a V8 Camaro can "fully" use the car's capabilities, and nobody cares, better to have reserves and never use them than not having the capabilities the 0.01% of the time you actually need them
Whether it'll be a strong feeling or a weak one, I'll always think "maybe" in the back of my head with an LT1.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:05 AM   #28
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Will I run into any kind of overheating of any drivetrain components on spirited mountain runs?

What say you all?
IMO, wait for a 1SS non-1LE or buy the SS 1LE for mountain runs. I have driven two different automatic Camaro SSes in the canyons in California and they are more than capable cornering well while keeping cool and going fast enough through the corners to scare you. The 1LE is overkill if you don't do track days unless maybe you were going to upgrade wheels and seats anyways on a non-1LE. I would be concerned about overheating an LT1 on spirited mountain runs...they are more designed for daily driving and drag racing from what I have read. The LT1's 245 rear tires are not ideal for cornering quickly compared to the wider ones on the SS and SS 1LE.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote