Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #169
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Same here. They seem to be becoming the EV version of the basic Honda CRV.
Agreed. It is the iPhone of cars. The only issue is the least expensive Model 3 now cost about $50k. These cars were supposed to cost $35k. The issue I have with the pricing is that EV tech is advancing so fast that it is hard to justify such an expense when it will feel outdated relatively quickly. It is like in the tech world when you buy the fastest CPU and then a two years later the mid range CPU is faster and costs half the price. For example, my 2019 Model 3 SR+ battery had a max range of 240miles when new. After about 6 months the max range drops to about 218 miles, as a result of normal battery degradation. A 90% charge gets me about 187 miles now. Now, real world is lower than 187 miles since it depends how and where you drive. Highway will deplete it much quicker due to no regen, city may take you a bit further if you have a light foot. If you start enabling features like Cabin Overheat Protection, where the AC runs when it get hot in the car to protect the interior or Sentry Mode which keeps all the cameras recording while you are away form the car, you will drain even more juice.

Teslas is now using new battery cells that enable the same car to get 267 miles of range. And it will only get better and better. One good thing it the OTA software update which keep the car more current than traditional ICE based vehicles but hardware is a different story.

Also, if you like to tweak and mod your vehicles, good luck.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:52 PM   #170
Timuh60

Drives: 23' ZL1, 17' 1SS Vert, 68' SS Vert
If you are not following the Dodge E-muscle (some think will be named Cuda) progress you are missing a good part of the EV evaluation. Their prototype is scheduled to be revealed next month and is supposed to address many of the EV concerns. Based on the new Maserati that is being developed at the same time with 1200hp and 500 miles of range. The CEO promises to keep classic muscle car styling and a "sound that is not to be believed." Think Batmobile tumbler sound most think and said it will not be artificially created like some newer EVs.
Being an owner of many Camaros and Firebirds over the years, I am quite interested to see what they come up with. I still own 2 Camaros and a third (ZL1 vert) waiting for chips at the factory parking lot. I will always have one but also would like to see what Chevy can do to answer Dodge if they keep the same philosophy. Times are changing no matter whether we want them to or not.
Timuh60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #171
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timuh60 View Post
If you are not following the Dodge E-muscle (some think will be named Cuda) progress you are missing a good part of the EV evaluation. Their prototype is scheduled to be revealed next month and is supposed to address many of the EV concerns. Based on the new Maserati that is being developed at the same time with 1200hp and 500 miles of range. The CEO promises to keep classic muscle car styling and a "sound that is not to be believed." Think Batmobile tumbler sound most think and said it will not be artificially created like some newer EVs.
Being an owner of many Camaros and Firebirds over the years, I am quite interested to see what they come up with. I still own 2 Camaros and a third (ZL1 vert) waiting for chips at the factory parking lot. I will always have one but also would like to see what Chevy can do to answer Dodge if they keep the same philosophy. Times are changing no matter whether we want them to or not.

I am very interested with what they come up with. They have the largest customer base to lose if they can't find a way to entertain the Mopar enthusiasts.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #172
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I’m just not interested in an EV for a performance vehicle. I wish they would stop making these vehicles with 600+ HP with 0-60 times in 2 seconds and build a 30k 4 door sedan with 300+ mile range. That’s what the general public cares about.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #173
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I’m just not interested in an EV for a performance vehicle. I wish they would stop making these vehicles with 600+ HP with 0-60 times in 2 seconds and build a 30k 4 door sedan with 300+ mile range. That’s what the general public cares about.
We know there are people who would like to outlaw the ic engine.If they get their way we will not have a choice.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:59 PM   #174
Timuh60

Drives: 23' ZL1, 17' 1SS Vert, 68' SS Vert
There is nothing that says we can't have both. The whole it one or the other mentality some people have these days are annoying. I love my ICE V8s and I like the efficiency of electric. I see no reason to choose one and give up the other.
Timuh60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:59 PM   #175
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
We know there are people who would like to outlaw the ic engine.If they get their way we will not have a choice.

I wouldn't worry about that at least for the next few decades.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:02 PM   #176
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timuh60 View Post
I give them credit for the marketing. I am not sure how they will fix the sound unless the just pump the synthetic stuff through the sound system of dedicated speakers. Doing burnouts without engine noise just seems weird.

2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #177
raptor5244

One issue I see with so far is these suckers will need big batteries and will be heavy at shit. Heavier than they are now. Furthermore, the cost of these cars will be ridiculous with 118kw batteries. It sounds like they are going to use software limiting and charge customers for OTA performance boosts. Tesla does this already on the Model 3 Dual Motor. $2k gets you a software unlock which nets you 50hp and torque and about .5 second improvement to 60mph. Am I the only one that finds it annoying that you pay for a car with and all the hardware and it is performance limited until you pay for software boost?

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/dodg...ic-muscle-car/
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 07-24-2022, 10:03 PM   #178
RJK

Drives: 2018 LT Convertible
I have a Camaro convertible that I use mainly for road trips, take those away and I use barely $50 in gas a month. Even if the EV version cost only $5,000 more (and likely it would be $10-20K more) it would take me 100 months to get my money back assuming in that time the government doesn't find a way to tax EVs to a comparable level it costs to run ICE cars and I would not (until they recharge in 5 minutes) want to have one for a road trip so the answer at this point in time is HELL NO!
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:59 AM   #179
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
First, sedans aren’t selling well so it’s likely an SUV and GM will likely be announcing the Equinox EV that fits your price and range. Bolt and Bolt EUV are 262 miles I believe and under 30k now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
Yes but it won’t happen. Banning ICEs would actually impact people, plus you can’t replace 200 million cars all at once in theUS alone. Easier to pass laws on what manufacturers can build and sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I wouldn't worry about that at least for the next few decades.
Yep, even if the market goes 100% EV it will be many years before IVEs are gone. 2050.

But by then with so few ICEs on the road you might see a ban, or gas will be so rare ICEs will just fade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
One issue I see with so far is these suckers will need big batteries and will be heavy at shit. Heavier than they are now. Furthermore, the cost of these cars will be ridiculous with 118kw batteries. It sounds like they are going to use software limiting and charge customers for OTA performance boosts. Tesla does this already on the Model 3 Dual Motor. $2k gets you a software unlock which nets you 50hp and torque and about .5 second improvement to 60mph. Am I the only one that finds it annoying that you pay for a car with and all the hardware and it is performance limited until you pay for software boost?

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/dodg...ic-muscle-car/
Companies are setting themselves up for cash flow after the sale. Even GM’s Supercruise will be subscription based after the first 3 years.

Have to look at it this way. The hardware is the cheap part. All of the software needed is the expensive part to develop and that’s what you’ll pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
I have a Camaro convertible that I use mainly for road trips, take those away and I use barely $50 in gas a month. Even if the EV version cost only $5,000 more (and likely it would be $10-20K more) it would take me 100 months to get my money back assuming in that time the government doesn't find a way to tax EVs to a comparable level it costs to run ICE cars and I would not (until they recharge in 5 minutes) want to have one for a road trip so the answer at this point in time is HELL NO!
Some states are already charging more to plate an EV for the very reason you point out. They are using the same roads causing their fair share of wear and tear, if not more as they are heavier.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:50 AM   #180
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Some states are already charging more to plate an EV for the very reason you point out. They are using the same roads causing their fair share of wear and tear, if not more as they are heavier.
WI Does
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #181
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
They are way over their skis on EVs with respect to reliability, supply chain, and the grid. I wouldn’t buy one. I get better MPG with my ICE accord than most Hybrid EVs just by driving 65 vs. 75… and the car/ powertrain will last forever.

We won’t have a choice once the the Bloated blob incentivizes/ subsidizes EVs into a majority market share, however. They will tax gasoline into oblivion to force the issue.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #182
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Companies are setting themselves up for cash flow after the sale. Even GM’s Supercruise will be subscription based after the first 3 years.

Have to look at it this way. The hardware is the cheap part. All of the software needed is the expensive part to develop and that’s what you’ll pay for.
I am ok with this to a certain extent but they need to eliminate the traditional dealer model like Tesla does. They need to remove them from the order and allocation process, which is a complete mess and eliminate all the markup stuff that GM doesn't want them doing. We just need GM service centers for factory repairs since there is literally no maintenance on EVs. I am on year 4 with my Tesla and I have been to Costco for new tires and top the washer fluid myself. If you have a problem they come to your house as long as the repair does not require a lift. You get 8 year powertrain and battery warranty.

An EV is more like an Smartphone now. You keep it as long as the battery is still holding a charge and the processors are still powerful enough to run the software effectively.
2019 Tesla Model 3