Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #1
Simon89

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Mosaic Black
Sunroof Problem

can I automatically close the sun roof by one push? because it does that only while opening by pressing to the second detent but not while closing.

I contacted the dealer and he said it's normal, I don't think it is..
Attached Images

Simon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #2
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
unfortunately no. those instruction you posted make that pretty clear.

regardless I love my sunroof

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
Nope. Express open only. Not closing.

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Can't make it express close due to safety issues. Some yahoo could hit "express close" with his or someone else's stupid head out the sunroof and kill/injure themselves and cost GM millions. We have to be protected from ourselves you know.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Simon89

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Can't make it express close due to safety issues. Some yahoo could hit "express close" with his or someone else's stupid head out the sunroof and kill/injure themselves and cost GM millions. We have to be protected from ourselves you know.
you have a point, but It would've been cool if the "express close" is functional.

Thanks anyway
Simon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

Many cars out there have express closing moonroofs. My Accord, BMWs, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, Porsche.... ALL of them have express close. They just have anti-pinching so when there's even the slightest bit of pressure against it while it closes it quickly stops and auto reverses.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
pdrumans

Drives: 2LT Red Hot 2.0t
Quote:
They make express close sunroofs all the time. My Honda civic SI had it, my Infiniti G37 Coupe and My Nissan Altima Coupe has it as well.
pdrumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
Red Devil's Rebel

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS V6/A8
Might be able to find more info here, I noticed others were talking about this also.
Check out this thread too:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=sunroof
Red Devil's Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #9
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Many cars out there have express closing moonroofs. My Accord, BMWs, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, Porsche.... ALL of them have express close. They just have anti-pinching so when there's even the slightest bit of pressure against it while it closes it quickly stops and auto reverses.
Thanks for adding insight, I hadn't checked and my statement was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

In the other thread there are GM cars that have it. Maybe having the sensing for stopping and reversing adds cost and complexity and they didn't do that for the Camaro, or they just decided not to screw with it and cover their behind that way. They have had a lawsuit or two that got some notoriety lately so maybe they're just being cautious (a.k.a. gun shy).
Also in the other thread the '17 owners manual say it does, but '17 owners say it doesn't. Strange.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 08-30-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for adding insight, I hadn't checked and my statement was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

In the other thread there are GM cars that have it. Maybe having the sensing for stopping and reversing adds cost and complexity and they didn't do that for the Camaro, or they just decided not to screw with it and cover their behind that way. They have had a lawsuit or two that got some notoriety lately so maybe they're just being cautious (a.k.a. gun shy).
The moonroofs with auto close and anti-pinching are set up the same way as windows with auto up. The window is on sort of a floating hinged track guide that when pressure is applied the window is buffered while while the track is still being pushed up by the motor, then as it slows down the current sensor for the motor senses more current draw to push the window so it switches polarity and the motor goes in reverse.

I've tried it on my moonroof and windows and it works a lot faster than I can describe it lol
Old 08-31-2016, 05:48 AM   #11
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

As an Engineering Technician I'm familiar with how they work. Just trying to add a little humor and speculation as to why GM chose not to implement this feature. But thank you anyway

EDIT: And I do get that it may be as simple as the BCM monitors current and reverses it if it exceeds a certain limit, no real extra cost/sensors/wires.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 08-31-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Quote:
As an Engineering Technician I'm familiar with how they work. Just trying to add a little humor and speculation as to why GM chose not to implement this feature. But thank you anyway

I was thinking it might be because the Camaro moonroof slides above the roof, it makes it harder or maybe even not possible to make that floating track work while the panel is lifted and at an angle. Maybe it can only be done on panels that slide straight back into the roof?