Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
wsalas1

Drives: soon 21 2SS1LE
Cat’s or no cat’s in Dallas area

Hey there everyone…. Are any of you not running cats on a gen6? Any issues passing state inspection?
I am also running an e85 kit so that will reduce emissions
wsalas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
This is from the State of Texas motor vehicle Handbook January 2021

Some drivers believe that removing the converter will improve performance while others may seek to replace the converter with a section of ordinary exhaust pipe to avoid the cost of replacing a failed converter. Such actions are against Texas state law, and violators face up to a $25,000 fine.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
This is from the State of Texas motor vehicle Handbook January 2021

Some drivers believe that removing the converter will improve performance while others may seek to replace the converter with a section of ordinary exhaust pipe to avoid the cost of replacing a failed converter. Such actions are against Texas state law, and violators face up to a $25,000 fine.
That's a scare tactic and I don't think anybody has ever received a fine that outrageous. Op ask some of the local performance shops or people who live in your area with modified cars where they get theirs inspected. You may have to visit a "shady" place to get it inspected.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #4
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
just find someone who knows someone who know someone to inspect. I have kooks headers with no cats to mbrp race catback, i swear this is the loudest you'll ever be able to make a camaro sound and knock on wood but have been good so far, i'm in san antonio area though.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Why would you remove your cats? Car stinks up the road.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Not the case for the OP, but removing cats is highly beneficial in forced induction applications. The catalytics are the single most power robbing component of the exhaust system. Furthermore, they can become clogged in a high powered engine and could potentially cause engine damage. Some highly modified supercharged cars have seen gains between 30-50 extra hp just by removing the cats. Yes, they stink up the road and smell like raw gas, but if you run e85 exclusively, they don't smell bad at all. In fact, they literally smell sweet.

On a stock or bolt on car, removing them is pretty pointless, you would be lucky to gain 5-10 hp...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Kansas doesn't do emissions and almost everyday you can tell which cars do not have it. In my area this guy has a 2500 Cummins Ram that obviously had a delete kit. The cops know about it but leave him alone. But I do agree this is something I would not do in Texas since they do emissions and frown upon it.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #8
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
But I do agree this is something I would not do in Texas since they do emissions and frown upon it.
Or go this route?

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-i...ter-p-320.html
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
BLACK21SS
Oldman w/a teenager brain

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
Kansas doesn't do emissions and almost everyday you can tell which cars do not have it. In my area this guy has a 2500 Cummins Ram that obviously had a delete kit. The cops know about it but leave him alone. But I do agree this is something I would not do in Texas since they do emissions and frown upon it.
Only 17 of the 254 counties in TX require emission testing. Mostly the big three (Dallas, Houston, Austin & throw in El Paso) and their surrounding counties.

Quote:
Or go this route?
Yep.
BLACK21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #10
wsalas1

Drives: soon 21 2SS1LE
Thanks for all the responses!!!! Love the fake Cat’s that is the way to go!!!!! And I am running e85 so you should smell pure sweetness … but yes like it had been said they are power robbing and I plan to be on the track a bit with this car so that is why I was looking at deleting … also this is not my primary car … mostly sits in the garage
wsalas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK21SS View Post
Only 17 of the 254 counties in TX require emission testing. Mostly the big three (Dallas, Houston, Austin & throw in El Paso) and their surrounding counties.

I did not know that thanks for letting me know.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #12
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I'd be careful doing anything with emission systems now. Since the EPA is cracking down hard on tuners and aftermarket, it's only a matter of time before fines actually start getting levied onto the general public for doing things like this.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:49 PM   #13
Westcamaro

Drives: 69 Z28 RS 19 2SS Convertible 10 Ava
Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
just find someone who knows someone who know someone to inspect. I have kooks headers with no cats to mbrp race catback, i swear this is the loudest you'll ever be able to make a camaro sound and knock on wood but have been good so far, i'm in san antonio area though.
My inspection is due this month and I’m in San Antonio also, could you share the location you went for inspection? I’m by the forum... thanks
Westcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote