#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #57
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Yeah a equally equipped Lacrosse was around 5k more new. We do have the 20" wheels, but the car rides so darn good regardless, that I was happy to have the nicer wheels. We traded a newer Honda Accord for this car and couldn't be happier.

I've owned both. I'd lean more towards the Lacrosse. It may cost more, but the ride with mag ride option plus the seats and infotainment updates are worlds better imo. Speakers are good too.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #58
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
4Runner is still body on frame with a RWD/4WD transfer case. The Mallfinder on the other hand pales in comparison to the original first gen.
Yes, the 4Runner is one of the last true SUV's remaining. It is VERY off-road capable.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #59
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Yes, the 4Runner is one of the last true SUV's remaining. It is VERY off-road capable.
I'd have one if you could still get it with the manual transmission. They had sticks until 2003.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #60
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I'd have one if you could still get it with the manual transmission. They had sticks until 2003.
Yeah, you know how it is. Everyone is killing the manuals off because they simply don't sell and it seems fewer people know how to drive one. I had put some serious thought in getting one a couple of years ago, but I would like it to have more power/a larger motor.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #61
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Yeah, you know how it is. Everyone is killing the manuals off because they simply don't sell and it seems fewer people know how to drive one. I had put some serious thought in getting one a couple of years ago, but I would like it to have more power/a larger motor.
My stepbrother had a 1992. Fully loaded 4 wheel drive with the V6 and manual. He had it for 10 years and put about 200k miles on it. Living in Phoenix he has easy access to any kind of off road, 4 wheel drive trails close to his house and he used them. It was a great truck and I think they always looked sharp, still do.

That's a vehicle I'm not concerned with how fast it is. I think the current motor is more than adequate for it, with a 4 wheel drive off road oriented vehicle the torque is the key, and I think it's fine with the V6. For a year or two they offered a V8 on it but I think that made it too heavy for the off road enthusiasts and might have added horsepower but not much more torque than the V6.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:29 AM   #62
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
I've owned both. I'd lean more towards the Lacrosse. It may cost more, but the ride with mag ride option plus the seats and infotainment updates are worlds better imo. Speakers are good too.
I agree with that. We drove a few different Lacrosse's for a decent amount of time. IMO it was a tiny bit better overall, but for our situation the Impala was a much better bang for the buck...at least with the Premier model that we found. I do prefer the Impalas exterior look over the Lacrosse, and space and practicality, but on the rest I give the Buick a slight edge.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #63
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
theres a reason accord isnt going anywhere...it is a great car,and available as a coupe/m6 trans(at least last i know).no V8 but the V6 in them is pretty decent.
Coupé died in 2018 when 10th Gen hit the scene. That's also when they moved to turbocharged engines. 2.4 is replaced by 1.5T, and 3.5 is replaced by 2.0T.

As for the J35... They were good engines more than 10 years back when Mustang V6 made measely 210 HP out of their 4.0 Cologne V6, but as competitors catch up, Honda has started to fall behind. By 2017, Toyota, FCA and GM's V6 all have better power, while Honda is still stuck on a SOHC engine without VVT and uses a timing belt that you need to replace every 100k miles or so or your engine can self-destruct. Honestly, I think if it's not for Ridgeline, J35 would probably have been replaced by turbo K20 at this point.

Manuals were recently killed as well for 2021.

I had two of them. Both were 08, one was a coupé V6 A5 and the other was a sedan I4 M5. The coupé ran pretty well and thankfully didn't have the oil consumption issue common on them, but the automatic transmission sucked in terms of power and I have to thank it for giving me the urge to learn manual. The sedan burnt quite a bit of oil, but it was a beater and otherwise didn't skip a beat.

Do realize that V6 M6 Accord Coupé gets expensive in the used market. Not a great value, which is why I didn't get one to replace the V6 A5 Coupé I had.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #64
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The crawl control is insane. The Tacoma, for example, can be buried in sand up to the frame and still be able to get out (on its own).
Old 05-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #65
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Coupé died in 2018 when 10th Gen hit the scene. That's also when they moved to turbocharged engines. 2.4 is replaced by 1.5T, and 3.5 is replaced by 2.0T.

As for the J35... They were good engines more than 10 years back when Mustang V6 made measely 210 HP out of their 4.0 Cologne V6, but as competitors catch up, Honda has started to fall behind. By 2017, Toyota, FCA and GM's V6 all have better power, while Honda is still stuck on a SOHC engine without VVT and uses a timing belt that you need to replace every 100k miles or so or your engine can self-destruct. Honestly, I think if it's not for Ridgeline, J35 would probably have been replaced by turbo K20 at this point.

Manuals were recently killed as well for 2021.

I had two of them. Both were 08, one was a coupé V6 A5 and the other was a sedan I4 M5. The coupé ran pretty well and thankfully didn't have the oil consumption issue common on them, but the automatic transmission sucked in terms of power and I have to thank it for giving me the urge to learn manual. The sedan burnt quite a bit of oil, but it was a beater and otherwise didn't skip a beat.

Do realize that V6 M6 Accord Coupé gets expensive in the used market. Not a great value, which is why I didn't get one to replace the V6 A5 Coupé I had.
I have a 2009 EX-L V6 6 speed coupe. I bought it new in 2009 and had to order it because no one had the 6 speed in stock. I’ve kept it over a year after buying the Camaro because of a few things you’ve pointed out: they dropped the coupe in 2018 as well as the J35A motor which may be the finest V6 in the world. I hate turbos and don’t trust them. In the switch to the K20 they also lost 20 hp from the J35.

The J35 is still an excellent engine. I put my 260 hp 12 year old version against any 320 hp V6 made today. When you wind it out to 6500 RPM in each of the first 3 gears it will squeal the tires.

Then 2020 was the last year for a manual in the Accord. A car that’s had one of the best manual gearboxes in any car since 1979.

It has 186,000 miles now, every one of them but the first 2 are mine. It needs new struts, ball joints, and the passenger side axle clicks when you turn. So I’m putting the money into it and may decide to sell it after but I’m on the fence.

When you own one of those cars you get it, and if you never have you don’t. It’s simply not just another Honda Accord.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #66
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
These a-holes at Ford and GM think that people will move from buying cars to SUV's and its not happening. People are shifting from buying Ford and GM cars that they don't make anymore to buying Hyundai, KIA, and Honda's because they sell actual cars.

But GM has neglected Buick for years.
The part in bold is demonstrably not true. This chart is all vehicles sold in US, by quarter from Q1 2018 to Q1 2021 (Q2 2021 is not complete yet, so ignore)

Purple bar is SUVs, all brands lumped together.
Blue bar is all cars, all brands lumped together.
Orange bar is sports cars, all brands lumped together

Clearly shows purple (SUV) continues to grow, while blue (cars) continues to shrink. It is not shifting brands, it’s shrinking in total. Pickup trucks (green) and vans (red) are fairly stable. Even though F-150 is the single highest selling vehicle and Silverado is in the top 10, SUVs still run the yard because there are so many more brands, operating at high volume.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #67
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
The part in bold is demonstrably not true. This chart is all vehicles sold in US, by quarter from Q1 2018 to Q1 2021 (Q2 2021 is not complete yet, so ignore)

Clearly shows purple (SUV) continues to grow, while blue (cars) continues to shrink. It is not shifting brands, it’s shrinking in total. Pickup trucks (green) and vans (red) are fairly stable. Even though F-150 is the single highest selling vehicle and Silverado is in the top 10, SUVs still run the yard because there are so many more brands, operating at high volume.
OMG here you go bringing facts to an opinion fight.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #68
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
OMG here you go bringing facts to an opinion fight.
Too much caffeine this morning.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #69
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

I don't want SUVs. I want Camaros, performance cars! SUVs are BORING. I want speed. I want performance.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #70
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
but wouldnt an all SUV pontiac lineup suck even worse.might even have an e-gto...
They'd have to rename it the e-to-go
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote