Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-04-2021, 06:31 AM   #8177
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
They did a mid year price increase on the Silverado in 2014 after releasing that new gen

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 03-04-2021 at 12:52 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #8178
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
The C8 mid-year price increase is probably tied to steel and other material/commodity price spikes seen in late 2020 and early 2021. Steel has increased an exceptional amount in the last few months - by 50-100% since summer 2020.

Plastic has also more than doubled since summer of 2020. Copper is nearly double the price since summer of 2020 as well.

These spikes are due to low demand during Covid-19 shutdowns, then high demand during recovery, but without the production to meet the demand. Analysts are saying the prices aren't sustainable and expect them to drop down to more reasonable levels later this year (let's keep our fingers crossed).

Of course, GM could also be seeing high demand for the C8 and felt comfortable raising prices mid-year, since it's likely negligible to someone buying a C8, but over 20k units, adds up for GM.
Oh I know material costs have gone up, I am in the metals industry. Even when material prices go up, you typically don't see cars go up mid model year is all. Just making conversation as well its been dead around here lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I agree with Idaho. I'll add that it might also be the E5 emission restrictions playing a role in it. It looks like a lot of vehicles if not all of them will be seeing very large price increases. Especially for non-essential vehicles. I'm honestly surprised that the increase is only $1K.
Agreed, it's not a huge increase at all. Was just kind of shocked they did it mid model year. As I mentioned above, being the metal industry I follow metal prices closely. As much as materials have gone up recently, its nothing compared to what I have seen so I don't buy that it's because of rising material costs.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 03-04-2021 at 09:07 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #8179
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Wasn't the price known to be increasing after the first model year and they only kept the low price on the 21s to begin with because of Covid? So this mid year increase is kind of expected and makes sense if they hit the original production target of the original pricing.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #8180
shaffe

That makes sense actually ^ I think I remember hearing something about that now that the price would go up after the first MY but they kind of put a halt on that due to the short model year/covid situation
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 03-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #8181
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The entire world is about to be flipped upside down. If a $1K price increase on the C8 is a big deal then I'm not sure how people will handle things when the real shit hits the fan. From a performance perspective that is. In 10 years the landscape will be completely different. The E5 restrictions will mean a decrease in power for gasoline engines as well as more emission controls which will usher in a price hike. I'm betting SS performance will come at ZL1 prices...although Ford has been doing that for a while now (LOL). Already there are some vendors who no longer sell offroad headers. Pretty soon even HF catted headers and headers in general will be removed. SW or some other company also announced that they will not be making catless systems anymore. Gas prices are going to skyrocket. Pretty soon all of us will be commuting with hybrids and our toys will be relegated to weekend vehicles. And soon after that gasoline will become more and more scarce and more and more expensive. Things are changing and this is only the beginning. This $1K price hike will seem like nothing shortly. Just wait.

Not bragging, but I figure I can afford these price hikes. But at some point it won't even be worth the money. I'm looking to get into Hybrid vehicles as my DD now for my contracts that take me over 60 miles one way. For my closer jobs I'll use my performance vehicles. But again, oil changes, tires, brakes, fuel...it is all going to sky rocket. I got a quote right now to do the front and rear brakes on my X5 and that is going to hit over $1K. And I gotta do the tires soon too. And the HC is going in for an oil change today so I'm kinda scared to see how much it will cost. My last oil change was on the ZL1 and that was $130. LOL!! This is the beginning of the end.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #8182
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Not sure if the pic will show...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #8183
shaffe

Your not kidding Blaq,

Seems like lund got a visit from uncle sam, seems like other shops have too
Old 03-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #8184
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Performance companies saying they assume everyone is using their catless headers or other emission removal devices for "off-road" use only are full of it. They know darn well most people are driving these cars on the streets regularly, and many daily. The disclaimer of "for offroad use only" isn't enough, obviously, anymore. I'm surprised companies have been getting away with manufacturing catless "off road" pipes all these years considering the production of these parts is apparently illegal.

Fuel/tuning alternations are mentioned in the EPA enforcement letter as a defeat device, since it alters how much fuel and thus, emissions. One company was fined over a million $ since they provided tunes to diesel trucks that allowed for the removal of the emissions devices. Many mods require a tune to take advantage of. This could reduce the aftermarket part sector considerably.

This is all interesting. The future of modded cars (for more power) certainly appear to be at a teetering point.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #8185
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Your not kidding Blaq,

Seems like lund got a visit from uncle sam, seems like other shops have too
I have nothing against Lund. but I do think it is a bit misleading the way he is acting. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now. Everyone knew these days were coming. And anyone who follows politics (not getting into politics tho) knew that a new administration was going to welcome this new era in with a complimentary bottle of champagne and a red carpet. Maybe they weren't expecting the alphabets to show up this soon or suddenly without any notice or even at all...I'll give him that. But we all knew this was going to happen. Nobody is a victim here.

Quote:
Performance companies saying they assume everyone is using their catless headers or other emission removal devices for "off-road" use only are full of it. They know darn well most people are driving these cars on the streets regularly, and many daily. The disclaimer of "for offroad use only" isn't enough, obviously, anymore. I'm surprised companies have been getting away with manufacturing catless "off road" pipes all these years considering the production of these parts is apparently illegal.

Fuel/tuning alternations are mentioned in the EPA enforcement letter as a defeat device, since it alters how much fuel and thus, emissions. One company was fined over a million $ since they provided tunes to diesel trucks that allowed for the removal of the emissions devices. Many mods require a tune to take advantage of. This could reduce the aftermarket part sector considerably.

This is all interesting. The future of modded cars (for more power) certainly appear to be at a teetering point.
Agreed...yet again...something is wrong with me considering how much I agree with you lately.

Tuning is exactly that, a defeat device. They literally tune out the CEL. And not for nothing, they do this on vehicles that have full registrations (as evidenced by the license plates) and insurance but they claim it is an "off road" setup. LOL. The gig is up. It was a good run for a long time. But these people doing these investigations are not idiots. They know what to look for. There is no dancing around it. We all are guilty. Myself included.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #8186
shaffe

Quote:

Very true, but the amount of vehicles that performance shops alter compared to the number of other vehicles on the road is so miniscule like he mentioned. But then there is also like he mentioned that they have seen cars with long tube headers, no cats on E85 go pass the sniffer emissions test lol.

To the bolded point, I talked to a buddy of mine and I guess that is more what they were looking for. They were looking for diesel related stuff, but everything by the book kind of lumps it all together.

Quote:
I have nothing against Lund. but I do think it is a bit misleading the way he is acting. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now. Everyone knew these days were coming. And anyone who follows politics (not getting into politics tho) knew that a new administration was going to welcome this new era in with a complimentary bottle of champagne and a red carpet. Maybe they weren't expecting the alphabets to show up this soon or suddenly without any notice or even at all...I'll give him that. But we all knew this was going to happen. Nobody is a victim here.

Agreed...yet again...something is wrong with me considering how much I agree with you lately.

Tuning is exactly that, a defeat device. They literally tune out the CEL. And not for nothing, they do this on vehicles that have full registrations (as evidenced by the license plates) and insurance but they claim it is an "off road" setup. LOL. The gig is up. It was a good run for a long time. But these people doing these investigations are not idiots. They know what to look for. There is no dancing around it. We all are guilty. Myself included.
I think he is pissed because from what I can gather after he got visited a few other places found out about and rumors started swirling that they got shut down or something like that.

He does make some valid points, you take out tuning thats going to cause quite the ripple effect through the aftermarket
Old 03-05-2021, 01:18 AM   #8187
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Very true, but the amount of vehicles that performance shops alter compared to the number of other vehicles on the road is so miniscule like he mentioned. But then there is also like he mentioned that they have seen cars with long tube headers, no cats on E85 go pass the sniffer emissions test lol.

To the bolded point, I talked to a buddy of mine and I guess that is more what they were looking for. They were looking for diesel related stuff, but everything by the book kind of lumps it all together.
Right now they might be going for the easy targets. But eventually they will start going after everyone. I can see it getting to the point that local police will be pulling over cars that are loud and doing on site inspections to check for emission control device removals and sticking fines at people if they find them.

Quote:
I think he is pissed because from what I can gather after he got visited a few other places found out about and rumors started swirling that they got shut down or something like that.

He does make some valid points, you take out tuning thats going to cause quite the ripple effect through the aftermarket
I get that. Right now none of these companies should be throwing mud at others because they're all in the same boat. I honestly don't think any particular company actually did that tho. It seems more like it was a rumor that turned out to be true but had spiraled out of control. I mean, that is bound to happen when feds show up to your door with warrants. Especially if it is a prominent company like Lund who happens to be the biggest name in Mustang tuning and probably the largest seller of what they are now calling defeat devices...not implying that he knowingly did anything illegal.

I'm betting that it won't be long before the performance industry becomes like California where buyers can't even order aftermarket performance related parts for their cars. Speaking of which, I gotta call the company that I went with about how this affects the package I bought for my ZL1. I'm guessing that might not happen now. Good thing I went ahead and modded the Hellcat when I had the chance.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #8188
Idaho2018GTPremium

I guess the lack of tuning/emissions defeat bolt-ons options lessens the argument "But a FBO E85 A10 GT can keep up with a stock ZL1 to 110 mph" discussions!

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 03-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #8189
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
I guess the lack of tuning/emissions defeat bolt-ons options lessens the argument "But a FBO E85 A10 GT can keep up with a stock ZL1 to 110 mph" discussions!
Who ARE you?

I seriously think you got hacked. LOL!!
Old 03-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #8190
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Who ARE you?

I seriously think you got hacked. LOL!!
haha! I saw the light, remember? BTW my ZL1 is scheduled to be delivered this Friday...I'm stoked, and nervous it's going to be a) damaged from transport and some dealer staff is going to have to drive it to take it to a repair shop, b) delayed for some unknown reason.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28