Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Thanks for chiming in TC. Looking at all the rubber left on his tire pains me, but that is a lot of street/highway miles on a track alignment. Definitely agree on toe being the main problem, but I'd also like to see the outer edge because he might be able to go with less camber as well.

My obligatory tire photo to show you up

With all of that said, in regards to the OP, it doesn't seem like he is tracking the car if he doesn't know much about these tires. I would recommend buying different tires when the time comes and getting an alignment at the same time.
Agree. It pains me as well, to see virtually brand new tire corded.
4000 mi is a good distance, but i have put my 2020 1le to storage with 4120 miles incl 5 hard track days and the tires looked *equally* worn across (as expected) with not a hint of cording. This means i will use them again this spring for another 2 days and easily another 1500 miles. And that's with 2.6 camber. Pretty much what i have gotten from all the other sets on my previous 1le.

What made me think that the toe was largely responsible here vs camber, was the fact the inside edge of the tire was virtually new *just* beyond the first rib, which is pretty narrow. I would expect to see it maybe from a 3.5+ camber, but not 2.5.

Anyhow, I very much second your advice to the OP, as G3 tires are far more an R comp track vs street tire.

How's the C6Z doing?! Post some pix and info Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
So in the spirit of 'I really don't know all I think I do', here is the before/after sheet from my latest alignment when I had those edge-corded tires replaced.

I'm used to my fronts cording on the inside edge first, but I was worried they did it too fast relative to the rest of the tire wear.

So I had the shop check everything while it was there.

This is a shop with a race team (they finished 1-2 in T4 SCCA Runoffs 2017) so, I trust his work.

He said it's not unusual for greater than -2F camber to eat the tire edge like that since I really did put 5,000 just highway miles on them.

If you see something else in the numbers, let me know. I'm about to venture forth in March to ProSolo in Charlotte followed by a track day at AMP on the way home.
Attached Images

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:24 PM   #17
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
So in the spirit of 'I really don't know all I think I do', here is the before/after sheet from my latest alignment when I had those edge-corded tires replaced.

I'm used to my fronts cording on the inside edge first, but I was worried they did it too fast relative to the rest of the tire wear.

So I had the shop check everything while it was there.

This is a shop with a race team (they finished 1-2 in T4 SCCA Runoffs 2017) so, I trust his work.

He said it's not unusual for greater than -2F camber to eat the tire edge like that since I really did put 5,000 just highway miles on them.

If you see something else in the numbers, let me know. I'm about to venture forth in March to ProSolo in Charlotte followed by a track day at AMP on the way home.

Well, your prior alignment was all over the place, but that in itself shouldn't really lead to tires cording due to hiway travel imo. I get about 5000 miles combined including track duty and apart from 1 set of fronts, haven't corded any tires (but used them up nicely and evenly across). So, a bit of mystery, unless your toe became "dynamic" and what they got as a reading was just in time values.

That aside, they should have been able to dial equal camber in the rear. The fact they did not, means they didn't try hard enough. Imo 1.5 on both sides would be a good target to match fronts at 2.2.

But more importantly, zero rear toe will likely give you a very loose car and as such i would recommend you ask them to dial some toe IN there. I run zero toe up front and 0.15 total rear toe in (0.075 each side exactly) and the car handles extremely well. Btw a Chevy dealer did my alignment, so it is not rocket science, but it does take some patience on the part of the tech plus a WELL CALIBRATED Hunter rig.

Good luck and cheers!
Old 01-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #18
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well, your prior alignment was all over the place, but that in itself shouldn't really lead to tires cording due to hiway travel imo. I get about 5000 miles combined including track duty and apart from 1 set of fronts, haven't corded any tires (but used them up nicely and evenly across). So, a bit of mystery, unless your toe became "dynamic" and what they got as a reading was just in time values.

That aside, they should have been able to dial equal camber in the rear. The fact they did not, means they didn't try hard enough. Imo 1.5 on both sides would be a good target to match fronts at 2.2.

But more importantly, zero rear toe will likely give you a very loose car and as such i would recommend you ask them to dial some toe IN there. I run zero toe up front and 0.15 total rear toe in (0.075 each side exactly) and the car handles extremely well. Btw a Chevy dealer did my alignment, so it is not rocket science, but it does take some patience on the part of the tech plus a WELL CALIBRATED Hunter rig.

Good luck and cheers!

Appreciate the feedback. I'll have them set to those specs and see how it feels.

That before alignment was after a weekend at Sebring. I'm not sure if you have had a chance to run there, but it beats the hell out of the car. Those of us with MRC don't really notice, but the alignment sure does.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:08 AM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I'll have them set to those specs and see how it feels.

That before alignment was after a weekend at Sebring. I'm not sure if you have had a chance to run there, but it beats the hell out of the car. Those of us with MRC don't really notice, but the alignment sure does.
Unfortunately not, as Sebring is way too far for me, albeit i know it is an epic venue and hard on cars. That may indeed explain why your alignment was out of whack. A buddy ran his C5 race car there with SCCA recently. I've only run it on iRacing
Anyhow, enjoy and have fun! I gotta wait till at least late April, if not May...so iRacing will have to suffice in the meantime. Cheers!