Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #43
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Seems as if someone on here said they added to their car, and it was like $3000. I have read the posts, and I still think this thing is a toy, and for me anyway a absolutely useless option.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #44
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Seems as if someone on here said they added to their car, and it was like $3000. I have read the posts, and I still think this thing is a toy, and for me anyway a absolutely useless option.
I never used the home link in my SS, but I use the mirror camera now when backing up. Combined with the regular back up camera it’s very easy to see what’s behind you & to your sides.

For normal driving I dont care for it.

Now just need one for the front bumper to see how close I’m getting. I’m way paranoid & always end up parking back like 3’.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #45
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I never used the home link in my SS, but I use the mirror camera now when backing up. Combined with the regular back up camera it’s very easy to see what’s behind you & to your sides.

For normal driving I dont care for it.

Now just need one for the front bumper to see how close I’m getting. I’m way paranoid & always end up parking back like 3’.
You already have a 'front camera' for parking... Back in.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #46
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I have a 2019 and put an aftermarket ZL1 spoiler on w/o camera.

Wonder how difficult it would be to put the shark fin camera on. Assume I’d just have to buy the shark fin and route the wire from the trunk up to the shark fin.

Funny thing is I didn’t even know I had the rear view camera as the salesman never mentioned it. I found out when I was removing my SS spoiler and freaked out for a second because I thought it was my backup camera and that I can’t live without (tight garage). lol
Old 12-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #47
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
I have a 2019 and put an aftermarket ZL1 spoiler on w/o camera.

Wonder how difficult it would be to put the shark fin camera on. Assume I’d just have to buy the shark fin and route the wire from the trunk up to the shark fin.

Funny thing is I didn’t even know I had the rear view camera as the salesman never mentioned it. I found out when I was removing my SS spoiler and freaked out for a second because I thought it was my backup camera and that I can’t live without (tight garage). lol
Not hard at all, the hardest part would be finding the shark fin camera for a good price.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:00 PM   #48
NewIslander

Drives: Camaro SS1
Thumbs up

Just bought a 2022 Camaro 1SS which of course doesn't have the rear camera mirror. First time owning a Camaro and certainly feeling a little closed in - no big problem and totally love the car BUT given the limited view with the normal rearview camera, I'm seriously looking to retrofit a rear camera mirror.

There are options out there ranging from $200 upwards, but I found the following: https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...or-upgrade-kit

Rather expensive starting at $2064.99 BUT looks like the real deal.

I'm guessing there will be those who feel the money could be better spent on performance parts, etc, but I'm just putting it out there if anyone else has bought anything from this outfit: Gen5DIY (gen5diy.com)

Thanks
NewIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #49
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
So this was weird. I bought a brand new 21 ZL1 from out of state. Got the car and the rear camera rearview mirror thing never worked. Didnt matter to me because it still worked as a rearview mirror. So I've had the car for three months. Finally decided to take it to my local dealer to have it checked out.

They had to order the entire mirror assembly. Mine was dead, no power.

Once it came in, they got it swapped out in a few minutes. Apparently it was a 5 minute job. No worries. So I got the car back with it working...

COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!! I must be a simple man, but its so effing cool. I feel like I have a personal spy camera going out the back and a monitor up on the window for it. Its completely transformed the normal driving experience.

Best part is its a monitor not a mirror anymore, so you can point it up away or directly at you and you get more forward visibility with it being sort of out of the way, but still usable. Unlike a mirror that needs to be lined up.
YES there is a learning curve when looking at it. You arent looking through the mirror anymore, you are looking at it like a computer monitor. So when you glance at it, you have a split second of focus before you see it clearly. At least thats what I am seeing.

I have 10/10 missed this my whole life. And more-so that I have 5% tints and it helps immensely.
Attached Images

SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:56 PM   #50
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
So this was weird. I bought a brand new 21 ZL1 from out of state. Got the car and the rear camera rearview mirror thing never worked. Didnt matter to me because it still worked as a rearview mirror. So I've had the car for three months. Finally decided to take it to my local dealer to have it checked out.

They had to order the entire mirror assembly. Mine was dead, no power.

Once it came in, they got it swapped out in a few minutes. Apparently it was a 5 minute job. No worries. So I got the car back with it working...

COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!! I must be a simple man, but its so effing cool. I feel like I have a personal spy camera going out the back and a monitor up on the window for it. Its completely transformed the normal driving experience.

Best part is its a monitor not a mirror anymore, so you can point it up away or directly at you and you get more forward visibility with it being sort of out of the way, but still usable. Unlike a mirror that needs to be lined up.
YES there is a learning curve when looking at it. You arent looking through the mirror anymore, you are looking at it like a computer monitor. So when you glance at it, you have a split second of focus before you see it clearly. At least thats what I am seeing.

I have 10/10 missed this my whole life. And more-so that I have 5% tints and it helps immensely.
Out of curiosity, how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:53 PM   #51
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
If you only use your car during the day, moving the mirror wherever you want it is ok. But, if you plan on driving at night, the mirror camera isn’t all that great with the glare and all (in my opinion). You’ll probably find yourself moving the rear view mirror back to where it should be.

As well, you’re not the only person that mentioned it takes a second glance to focus. I never had that problem, but it seems relatively common.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #52
1fastz28

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Having driven a Camaro with and without the rear view camera, i can't imagine driving the car without it. It is immensely helpful.
1fastz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:28 PM   #53
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastz28 View Post
Having driven a Camaro with and without the rear view camera, i can't imagine driving the car without it. It is immensely helpful.
Are you referring to the back-up camera? Or the actual rear-view camera?

Starting in either 2019 or 2020, there is a second camera on the back whose image "replaces" the rear-view mirror. The Day/Night switch that is present on so many rear-view mirrors doesn't work the same way on this mirror. In one position, it's the regular mirror. In the other position, however, the camera feed is projected into the mirror instead of it being a reflected image. This is all totally independent of the rear-view camera that is required by federal law on all new vehicles now (and is commonly displayed on a screen in the center of the dash).

Last edited by ember1205; 08-02-2022 at 06:34 AM.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote