#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #15
twiget

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Long tube catless headers with stock dual mode cat back. Warranty depends on how friendly your dealer is, but technically any mod voids the warranty.
Not necessarily true. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the dealer has to prove that any issues the vehicle experiences are the direct result of the mods. If they can't prove it, they have to cover the repairs under warranty.
twiget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #16
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Not a good choice for a daily driver and/or if you have kids/passengers. Cat-less headers equals exhaust fumes entering the cabin. No thank you.

Headers sound amazing, but unless it is a weekend toy or you don't care about breathing in toxic fumes, I do not recommend that route.
I concur.

I ran cars without cats for years and dealing with the fumes gets a little old, especially during the winter months.
staples87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #17
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiget View Post
Not necessarily true. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the dealer has to prove that any issues the vehicle experiences are the direct result of the mods. If they can't prove it, they have to cover the repairs under warranty.
If you run headers on the vehicle and let's say the motor blows up, they can easily say that due to the increased exhaust flow, it caused the engine to lean out and detonate (which it could/can). The Magnuson-Moss Act is good for certain things but there's still gray areas.

If you're not in good with the service advisor and worried about the powertrain warranty, I wouldn't touch the headers.
staples87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #18
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
True. But all the dealer needs to do is decide that your mod was the cause of the issue requiring warranty work. Then it can become a drawn out pissing contest which can be time consuming and expensive. Dealers are often not full reimbursed by GM for their warranty work, so a dealer has a financial incentive to find a reason to deny it, such as a modification. Some dealers are more mod friendly than others, but simply pointing out the legalities of the law will not, often times, cause a dealer to change his mind
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
CompleteStreet

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
Anything that does not mess with the cats you are okay warranty wise. Replacing the cats and tuning makes it questionable.
CompleteStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
twiget

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
If you run headers on the vehicle and let's say the motor blows up, they can easily say that due to the increased exhaust flow, it caused the engine to lean out and detonate (which it could/can). The Magnuson-Moss Act is good for certain things but there's still gray areas.

If you're not in good with the service advisor and worried about the powertrain warranty, I wouldn't touch the headers.
Sure, there are grey areas, just like every thing. My point was that modding the car does not necessarily mean the car's warranty is void. It's not an all or nothing thing. Modifying one aspect of your vehicle does not void the entire warranty.
twiget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #21
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Sure, there are grey areas, just like every thing. My point was that modding the car does not necessarily mean the car's warranty is void. It's not an all or nothing thing. Modifying one aspect of your vehicle does not void the entire warranty.
Correct, and it is good to be more clear here as you have done.

The issue with some mods, there is so much downstream of the mod that they can tie in so many other parts.

A tune, forget it, power train warranty gone. Your headlight goes out or power seat stops working, those need to be repaired under warranty still.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Don't forget, the MM Act is specifically for OEM equivalent replacement parts. It started as a way to prevent a dealer/MFR from denying a warranty claim because you put in Brand X oil instead of their own (or pick any other part).

A replacement part that is NOT an OEM equiv (different oil spec, or a high performance part designed to increase horsepower/etc) is not covered by the MM Act. Period.

So while you'd probably still win in court if they blame your headers for, say, an infotainment failure (which of course no dealer would ever claim so this would never happen..), you certainly will never win if they blame it for literally ANY powertrain/drivetrain failure.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #23
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Cat-less headers equals exhaust fumes entering the cabin. No thank you.
I find it odd that so many camaro owners run catless, but on the VW forum I was on, everybody talked down about doing it and lambasted people for having done it.

Is there a reason that it seems more acceptable with the Camaro crowd? Just curious.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #24
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatGuy View Post
I find it odd that so many camaro owners run catless, but on the VW forum I was on, everybody talked down about doing it and lambasted people for having done it.

Is there a reason that it seems more acceptable with the Camaro crowd? Just curious.
I'm just guessing but I think possibly blue collar VS white collar mentality?

I am not a fan of cat-less, at least not primary cats anyways. I did remove my secondary cats, but that was more so I could remove my stock system without cutting and use it if I needed to go back to stock at some point.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Not a good choice for a daily driver and/or if you have kids/passengers. Cat-less headers equals exhaust fumes entering the cabin. No thank you.

Headers sound amazing, but unless it is a weekend toy or you don't care about breathing in toxic fumes, I do not recommend that route.
I have headers and no cats on my C5Z and have never had fumes in the cabin and the car is quiet at normal highway driving speeds. My favorite performance mod on my 'vette. Not sure why an SS 1LE would be any different.

The bigger issue to me is the warranty, but my experience is that anything cat-back isn't a big issue for most dealers.
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #26
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
I'm just guessing but I think possibly blue collar VS white collar mentality?

I am not a fan of cat-less, at least not primary cats anyways. I did remove my secondary cats, but that was more so I could remove my stock system without cutting and use it if I needed to go back to stock at some point.
And I'm just guessing but I'd say it has nothing to do with "collar color" based on the number and types of vehicles most of us drive in addition to the Camaro.

My catless 'vette still passes emissions and I don't think anyone associated with VW has any business throwing stones over emissions regulations......
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #27
MattZ28

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2006 S2000
I just installed the Borla 60606 mid pipe with a Corsa Xtreme axle back this past weekend, and I love it. Very loud at WOT but silent when cruising, and not too obnoxious under part throttle. Here's a quick bumper cam video.

MattZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #28
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
If you keep the stock headers honestly most exhausts sound similar to NPP, the mufflers might change the tone a little but if you really want to change how it sounds then headers need to happen.
Not necessarily. In my experience