Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #15
NM-ZR1

Thx Guys for that, I did some checking on the issue with the Cluster and for the most part it seems hit or miss depending on what the factory was installing that day, an IO6 upgrade may in fact work without a cluster flash, then again it may not. I was advised to install the IO6 HMI and see what happens. If it doesn't display the speed info then it will have to be sent out and reprogrammed, in some cases it may need to be replaced. (that's not positive) Either way, I was told to install the HMI module, go to the apps page and download everything I want then send it back for final programming. This way the apps download will continue to work as a standard IO6 car, otherwise the apps download will not work as it should. Not sure this is worth the effort. I could just install the new HMI module and leave it at that.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:17 AM   #16
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
Thx Guys for that, I did some checking on the issue with the Cluster and for the most part it seems hit or miss depending on what the factory was installing that day, an IO6 upgrade may in fact work without a cluster flash, then again it may not. I was advised to install the IO6 HMI and see what happens. If it doesn't display the speed info then it will have to be sent out and reprogrammed, in some cases it may need to be replaced. (that's not positive) Either way, I was told to install the HMI module, go to the apps page and download everything I want then send it back for final programming. This way the apps download will continue to work as a standard IO6 car, otherwise the apps download will not work as it should. Not sure this is worth the effort. I could just install the new HMI module and leave it at that.
Take it to the bank. Unless you have your cluster programmed to show the speed limit, it will not. The I06 module sends that information to your DIC but unless programmed to receive the information, it will not show the speed limit.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #17
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro66215 View Post
For the HMI only.... he is correct. I placed the antenna under the top dash part near the window. That did require me to pull the dash apart a bit. But it wasn't that bad. There are many ways to get around that.

How is that working out for you, any problems with the nav like freezing or loosing satellites?
Old 09-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #18
Nitro66215

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
Quote:
How is that working out for you, any problems with the nav like freezing or loosing satellites?
Haven't noticed it yet. Works great
2018 2SS Vert - Hot Wheels - Indy 500 #30

2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2017 RS 1LT 2.0T Vert - A8, Garnet Red - SOLD :-(
Added - IO6 - NAV, UHS - Enhanced Display, K4C - Wireless Charger, UV6 -
Heads-Up Display - DIY

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(
2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #19
NM-ZR1

Nitro, are you subscribed to Onstar? If so, does your Weather Icon work?
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Nitro66215

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
Quote:
Only the basic onstar. No data and not fully functional. I do not think the weather icon works. I'll have to check.
2018 2SS Vert - Hot Wheels - Indy 500 #30

2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2017 RS 1LT 2.0T Vert - A8, Garnet Red - SOLD :-(
Added - IO6 - NAV, UHS - Enhanced Display, K4C - Wireless Charger, UV6 -
Heads-Up Display - DIY

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(
2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #21
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Weather and traffic are provided by SiriusXM.
Sweptwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #22
NM-ZR1

After doing a great deal of looking over all the offerings I decided to go with Digital Dash Solution. They were the most helpful and easy to get on the phone. They charge $580.00 for the new HMI module, antenna, shipping and advanced programming.

They offer 2 options, 1: They will send you a programmed IO6 module and you will get full nav and all the other functions that were available in your car from the factory but your Shop icon and the ability to add apps will no longer function and you will loose any apps that you had in your IO5 unit. (this is the case with most 105 to 106 upgrades)

The second option is they will send you an IO6 module programmed as an IO5 and an exact match for your original unit. You install it, sync it to the BCM and onstar module. At that point you access the shop app menu and download everything you could want to use. You then remove it and send it back to Digital Dash. In the mean time you can re-install your old IO5 if you need to use the car.

At that point they turn it back into an full IO6 module adding NAV, PDR and Shop Icons plus all the apps you downloaded are already there. Nice thing about this is if I wanted to add the PDR down the road then unit can handle it, the icon is already there.

One comment I would like to mention about the installation. I watched one on the internet about the HMI switch, what a pain.. I spent an hour trying to remove the glove box. I could get the lanyard released and the sides but how to get the bottom evades me and I wasn't going to force it and possibly break something. No where could I find a video on someone actually going thru the complete process of removing the box itself.

Anyway, I put the glove back the way it was and crawling under the dashboard I found 4 7mm screws in the panel that has the HMI mounted to it. I removed the 4 screws and dropped the panel, lifted the clip holding the HMI and bingo after unplugging a few connectors I was good to go.

Installing the GPS antenna was not a big deal though I would have rather installed it where Chevrolet does but the extra height of the antenna itself will hit the bottom of the dash panel. I installed it off to the right on top of what appears to be an AC vent very close to the front of the windshield.

Hopefully, I should get the updated IO6 HMI back sometime next week.
I did confirm it is hit or miss with the speed limit info being displayed. If not it would need to be sent out. I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Another thing that will be a must is some type of front camera or curb detector. Any input on that would also be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #23
NM-ZR1

Got the finally programmed IO6 module back today and installed it. So far the Nav seems to work fine.

The Download Icon works and I was able to update some of the apps I had initially downloaded such as the Weather Channel app. The factory Weather is not yet working, I am having issues getting Sirius to correct issues on their end.

I do have a nav on my cluster display but don't see the speed limit sign displayed, this is probably the cluster issue discussed earlier in the post.

I do have the PDR icon for future use (should I add the rest of the hardware)

I think I finally see how to remove the glove box, there appears to be some horseshoe clips you can see from the bottom. I suspect if you pull them down from the bottom it will allow the bottom of the glove box to come out. Once I finally get Sirius squared away I will share this hear. Sirius has been the biggest issue so far. Its really hard to get to someone that actually know something, we shall see.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #24
benji276289

Quote:
Got the finally programmed IO6 module back today and installed it. So far the Nav seems to work fine.

The Download Icon works and I was able to update some of the apps I had initially downloaded such as the Weather Channel app. The factory Weather is not yet working, I am having issues getting Sirius to correct issues on their end.

I do have a nav on my cluster display but don't see the speed limit sign displayed, this is probably the cluster issue discussed earlier in the post.

I do have the PDR icon for future use (should I add the rest of the hardware)

I think I finally see how to remove the glove box, there appears to be some horseshoe clips you can see from the bottom. I suspect if you pull them down from the bottom it will allow the bottom of the glove box to come out. Once I finally get Sirius squared away I will share this hear. Sirius has been the biggest issue so far. Its really hard to get to someone that actually know something, we shall see.
I had the same problem with Sirius trying to get traffic information. The first person I spoke to kept telling me I did not have the proper setup to qualify to get traffic. I finally kept calling back until I got someone who did turn the traffic on for me. I don't recall having a problem getting the weather. I also began getting gas station prices once the traffic info was turned on. As for getting the speed limit, the only way is getting your dash cluster removed and programmed by one of the two people either in Arizona or Michigan who can do this. Once you get this done, nobody would ever know that your vehicle didn't originally come with navigation or not, unless they check your vin. #.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #25
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
the only way is getting your dash cluster removed and programmed by one of the two people either in Arizona or Michigan who can do this.
Psssst its the same person
Old 10-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #26
benji276289

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
Psssst its the same person
I stand corrected.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #27
NM-ZR1

Bingo, Weather, Traffic, Nav, App's download are now working and a new PDR icon (though non functional at this time).

For those wanting to get your Weather and traffic working when you call Sirius forget the reps that initially answer the phones, they are worthless in getting these functions working. Request them to put in a request for the "Back Office" support to help you. You will not be able to get connected directly to them, explain you have upgraded your system and need back office support. Once your request has been enter into the system you can expect a call back within 48 hours, I got a call the next day.

Their are 2 issues, first your radio id shows it only can receive music so, when your plan is activated that's all that will be sent down from the satellite. The rep can not override this again because the sirius system pulls up the profile of your radio in their system (originally provided by GM) and locks out traffic and weather. The back office can edit the subscription record to add the traffic and weather functionality.

Next problem, your radio must be "Re-branded" in the Sirius database. The back office support person will file a request for the profile of your radio to show that it is an IO6 instead of IO5. (btw, this part takes about 30 days but your service will be working during this time). What this will do for you is if you ever suspend, delete or reactivate you service you won't have to go thru this crap again.

Hope that helps those in the same boat. I know many will say why go thru all this trouble when you can use your iphone? In my case I travel thru the mountains alot where there is no cell service. I like to know the weather to avoid bad weather or take shelter incase of hail. A good friend of mine got his hellcat ruined this year because of a bad hail storm.

Now, next deciding whether to do the cluster mode for the speed limit or add the pdr. Since I dont track the car or drive the speed limit both of these are questionable. I do need to add a front end camera or curb monitor.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and ideas!
Old 10-28-2018, 03:55 AM   #28
benji276289

Quote:
Bingo, Weather, Traffic, Nav, App's download are now working and a new PDR icon (though non functional at this time).

For those wanting to get your Weather and traffic working when you call Sirius forget the reps that initially answer the phones, they are worthless in getting these functions working. Request them to put in a request for the "Back Office" support to help you. You will not be able to get connected directly to them, explain you have upgraded your system and need back office support. Once your request has been enter into the system you can expect a call back within 48 hours, I got a call the next day.

Their are 2 issues, first your radio id shows it only can receive music so, when your plan is activated that's all that will be sent down from the satellite. The rep can not override this again because the sirius system pulls up the profile of your radio in their system (originally provided by GM) and locks out traffic and weather. The back office can edit the subscription record to add the traffic and weather functionality.

Next problem, your radio must be "Re-branded" in the Sirius database. The back office support person will file a request for the profile of your radio to show that it is an IO6 instead of IO5. (btw, this part takes about 30 days but your service will be working during this time). What this will do for you is if you ever suspend, delete or reactivate you service you won't have to go thru this crap again.

Hope that helps those in the same boat. I know many will say why go thru all this trouble when you can use your iphone? In my case I travel thru the mountains alot where there is no cell service. I like to know the weather to avoid bad weather or take shelter incase of hail. A good friend of mine got his hellcat ruined this year because of a bad hail storm.

Now, next deciding whether to do the cluster mode for the speed limit or add the pdr. Since I dont track the car or drive the speed limit both of these are questionable. I do need to add a front end camera or curb monitor.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and ideas!
You've gone this far. Make it complete by adding the speed limit.