Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 08-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
matt713

Drives: 16 2SS
Full Stereo Upgrade Build on 2SS with Bose

Hello, I will be doing a complete overhaul on my stereo and just wanted to share a little bit about the build I will be doing. I will be replacing the door speakers, rear passenger speakers, adding a sub, and an external amp.

Here is a list of the equipment I will be using:

JL Audio HD 900/5 amp
JL Audio Fix 82 (OEM integration Processor)
JL Audio C5-650x coaxial speakers
JL Audio HO112-W6v3 sub/enclosure

Here are some pictures of what I have done so far and will post updates as I move towards completion.

Picture of the stock 6x9 door speaker

Stock 6x9 removed

Adaptor made for the C5 6.5 coaxial

C5 mounted in door

where the C5 crossover will mount

Next step I will work on replacing the rear passenger (side panel) speakers with the 6.5's
matt713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Any plans to upgrade the tweeters in the dash?
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
tecboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Curious as how you take the single output of the fix 82 and connect to amp that has separate inputs for front rear and sub...
Old 08-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
matt713

Chris,

No plans as of now, mainly because I really don't want to mess with trying to take the front dash apart, afraid I may not get it back together! I'm confident that the 4 C5's will provide plenty of highs.

tecboy,

The amp has 3 different input modes, I will be using the 2 Ch input mode as shown in this pic

And here is how that works from the manual. I am not worried about losing fading

Hope that helps.

Matt
Old 08-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
tecboy

thanks......once you have front/read fade set up...you usually do not change it anyway....everything could be set at the amp output levels...

i plan on upgrading the entire bose system....all speakers(except center channel) ..and adding wither 2-10 or 2-12 subs...was going to use audiocontrol LC8i but the jl fix 82 looks like another option......not sure of amps/speaker types yet..there was one other person on the forums who upgraded theirs...but quit posting updates halfway thru and never posted finished results...the stereo shop helping me set something up said they saw some mention on their installer forums they read of electrical feedback (clicking/static pops it sounds like)...they were trying to see if anyone figured out where the interference was coming from..said something about adding resistors inline with i think the output of bose amp/input of the processor...looking forward to your results...would be nice to use something bigger in the rear side panel locations than the small 4 inch or so hole that i believe is back there
Old 08-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
thanks......once you have front/read fade set up...you usually do not change it anyway....everything could be set at the amp output levels...

i plan on upgrading the entire bose system....all speakers(except center channel) ..and adding wither 2-10 or 2-12 subs...was going to use audiocontrol LC8i but the jl fix 82 looks like another option......not sure of amps/speaker types yet..there was one other person on the forums who upgraded theirs...but quit posting updates halfway thru and never posted finished results...the stereo shop helping me set something up said they saw some mention on their installer forums they read of electrical feedback (clicking/static pops it sounds like)...they were trying to see if anyone figured out where the interference was coming from..said something about adding resistors inline with i think the output of bose amp/input of the processor...looking forward to your results...would be nice to use something bigger in the rear side panel locations than the small 4 inch or so hole that i believe is back there
The rear side speakers area behind the speakers is huge, tons of options for that space since the speaker is attached to the plastic panel not the car itself.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
matt713

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
O

The rear side speakers area behind the speakers is huge, tons of options for that space since the speaker is attached to the plastic panel not the car itself.
Chris is correct. There is a lot of room behind the rear side panel area. Here is one of my 6.5 mounted to the side panel. It fit no problem.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Let me know if you notice a major difference in the height of stage for vocals without the tweeters. I actually like how the tweeters in the 6th are dash mounted instead of sail panel mounted in the 5th gen. It puts the words at ear level better, over the mids and lows -- at least for the front seat.

Thanks for the heads up on the cavern behind the rear speakers. Might be able to get creative there one day.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
the stereo shop helping me set something up said they saw some mention on their installer forums they read of electrical feedback (clicking/static pops it sounds like)...they were trying to see if anyone figured out where the interference was coming from

From what I have read and the posts on here about upgrading there is a connector plugged into the factory amp that feeds exhaust sound into the speaker system. Not sure how true that is but the person unplugged it and the electrical feedback went away. Don't see why GM would do that when they have a sound tube running from the intake tube through the firewall and into the cabin of the Camaro. Hope this helps!!

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
the stereo shop helping me set something up said they saw some mention on their installer forums they read of electrical feedback (clicking/static pops it sounds like)...they were trying to see if anyone figured out where the interference was coming from

From what I have read and the posts on here about upgrading there is a connector plugged into the factory amp that feeds exhaust sound into the speaker system. Not sure how true that is but the person unplugged it and the electrical feedback went away. Don't see why GM would do that when they have a sound tube running from the intake tube through the firewall and into the cabin of the Camaro. Hope this helps!!
It's not exhaust sounds on the SS cars, it's active noise cancellation. But you are right about the guy clipping the wires for it and it resolving the issue.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
matt713

I have started wiring up the Fix 82 and the amp. Should hopefully have some audio playing soon!!!! I will post up which outputs from the factory amp I am using for inputs on the Fix 82 along with some other notes I have made.

Matt
Old 08-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
tecboy

looking forward to your progress....thanks for sharing updates
Old 08-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Would most 6x9 woofers have fit the original spaces or was the mounting kind of only for the stock 6x9? I think ID makes some nice 6x9 separates.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
matt713

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
Would most 6x9 woofers have fit the original spaces or was the mounting kind of only for the stock 6x9? I think ID makes some nice 6x9 separates.
Mcsoul,

Its really hard for me to answer that question, as I knew from the start that I wanted to install 6.5 in the doors so I did not pay attention to other 6x9 sizes because I knew I had to make adaptors for the 6.5's and those would help with any depth concerns that I may of had. Sorry but I just don't want to give bad information out and in return steer you in the wrong direction.

Matt