Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Sounds like Mustang might outlive Camaro

The times they are a changin'. Reading this article about the future of Ford Motor Co. is a little depressing for those of us nostalgic about muscle, sport, and pony cars. The cultural, technical, and economic forecasts described in the this article, suggest the future of Camaros as we know it is much more uncertain than I'd figured. It sounds like Mustang's popularity might sustain it; hard to sense the same about our cars.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/25/...st-small-cars/
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Crazy that they're discontinuing most car models, let alone that it was the Mustang that survived those cuts.

I know the Fusion was probably never going to top the Accord or Camry in quality or sales, but you still see so many of those on the road, and it's tough to believe that it's not profitable to keep their foot in that segment at least.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
The cultural, technical, and economic forecasts described in the this article, suggest the future of Camaros as we know it is much more uncertain than I'd figured.
I highly doubt the Camaro is in danger, GM does make money on this car and its platform is shared and will continue to be. Literally the only reason the car was killed in 2002 despite poor sales was the F-car platform no longer met new NHTSA standards in 2003 and there was no platform to share with. Well, there was but there wasnt.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
I highly doubt the Camaro is in danger, GM does make money on this car and its platform is shared and will continue to be. Literally the only reason the car was killed in 2002 despite poor sales was the F-car platform no longer met new NHTSA standards in 2003 and there was no platform to share with. Well, there was but there wasnt.
I didn't know there was a potential replacement for the F body platform back in 2002. I love those F bodies in my opinion they truly were the last of the muscle cars. so much fun to drive so old school no nannies just pure car
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
I saw that on the news this morning. I'm not surprised as Ford Car sales are in the toilet.

The only thing they have that is mildly exciting is the Mustang. I'm on the fence on the future of the Camaro. I'd like to see what the Gen 7 brings to the table but I fear that the refresh will kill what little sales are there today and that will be the end of it.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
The times they are a changin'. Reading this article about the future of Ford Motor Co. is a little depressing for those of us nostalgic about muscle, sport, and pony cars. The cultural, technical, and economic forecasts described in the this article, suggest the future of Camaros as we know it is much more uncertain than I'd figured. It sounds like Mustang's popularity might sustain it; hard to sense the same about our cars.
I don't come to the same conclusion as you do from that article...Camaro and Corvette both serve the same purposes on different levels as the Mustang does for Ford...which is ALL they have...

Think about it - the ZL1 was the first car to utilize the 10-speed...lots of development behind that. Nurburgring times, burnout modes, etc...all exciting things. And the chassis dynamics can trickle down to other cars, constantly.

So long as the program will make money (which we won't know)...the sales figures are secondary to performance and building a great car.

GM has made similar decisions regarding reducing and discontinuing some cars, though not nearly as drastic as Ford. The shift in the auto industry from small cars to large CUVs and trucks has never been quite this dramatic, I think.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
I didn't know there was a potential replacement for the F body platform back in 2002. I love those F bodies in my opinion they truly were the last of the muscle cars. so much fun to drive so old school no nannies just pure car
The only possible platform that could have been used was Sigma I. But it might have been too expensive for Camaro/Firebird use.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
America is dying in general...there is a whole new generation that just hates America and its products and it abilility to succeed. They will put their money on any product as long as its not American made.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
America is dying in general...there is a whole new generation that just hates America and its products and it abilility to succeed. They will put their money on any product as long as its not American made.
I don't agree. I believe that today's buyers are more interested in a quality product. Unfortunately there are big ticket items like cars that just don't measure up quality wise to what you can buy overseas.

Don't get me wrong here and I'm not trying to start a fight here. I love my Camaro but I wouldn't own it if I didn't have something reliable in the garage to drive while its in the shop.

For the record, Mine has spent 37 days at the dealer since I bought it in March of last year. The other car hasn't needed a repair in 6 yrs and 103K miles.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Fiat has quietly killed off Chrysler and Dodge cars..

All that's left of them is the now 12-year old 300/Charger
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
That is one sad serious truth that is very true. Well Put.
Mack, can I use your quote?
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Seems like Europe is warming up to American made cars. And GM already has a decent footprint in other parts of the world like China and South America.

It's just that in the US, things are changing and they have to evolve with it. What's surprising is Ford's yearly profit decline which seems to be worse than GM's. The way people rant and rave about their sales numbers, you'd think they'd be in a stronger position.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
What I'm wondering is which will we see first; Camaro Cross or Mustang X.

Performance CUV's are not some weird idea; Merc GLC63's, Audi's SQ5, Ford Edge ST, talk of an Explorer ST, BMW's X3 will receive an ///M Competition variant, even Chevy is dipping a toe in the water with their "Redline" packages.

These are strange days we live in.

Just food for thought.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
What I'm wondering is which will we see first; Camaro Cross or Mustang X.
We've been doing the Camaro Cross for the last 7 years!

http://camarofest.org/camarocross.html